HP Laptop Power issues

Donut417

Laptop model: HP 15-ay039wm

6100u i3, 8 Gigs of Ram and a 5400 RPM hard disk.

Was told it wouldnt power on. First I inspected the battery as its removable. One latch was not locked, so I locked it, plugged it in and it turned in with a black screen. Figured out it was doing a Windows update. Machine refuses to charge when booted in to Windows. Just says the battery is way low, it was at 1%. I left it powered off and plugged in and it did charge the battery to over 90%. Left it plugged in for maybe 1 to 1.5 hours. When powered off the indicator light near the barrel jack lights up orange. Ive noticed when powered on the light it white and may be solid or blink. The machine does not power on plugged in with no battery.

I did remove the bottom cover and inspected the board. Particularly over buy the barrel jack, to see if it was loose or what not. Barrel jack seems to be solid on the board. I did run a battery report. Im not sure how to read it, but it seem there might be high 70% to low 80% range in the battery capacity. Looking inside the barrel jack it looks like multiple small pins in the middle. To me it didnt look right. I tried taking a picture but It wasnt coming out.

Heres the thing this is not a critical machine. If we get it working cool, if not cool. I think its an issue with maybe the charging system or possibly the barrel jack but inside the jack itself.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You could try reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work you could try it in a live Linux environment. I would guess it's Windows power management related.

28 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

You could try reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work you could try it in a live Linux environment. I would guess it's Windows power management related.

Tried Ubutnu and the same result. Ubuntu did infact confirm the battery was discharging while in the OS with it plugged in. I had it turned on at the log in screen and I guess it went to sleep and charged. This is the oddest thing I have seen. Im wondering if it trickle charges when its "Off" or "sleeping".

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Tried Ubutnu and the same result. Ubuntu did infact confirm the battery was discharging while in the OS with it plugged in. I had it turned on at the log in screen and I guess it went to sleep and charged. This is the oddest thing I have seen. Im wondering if it trickle charges when its "Off" or "sleeping".

I may have found something you can try. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-plugged-in-not-charging/m-p/5122111/highlight/true#M3143496

Someone wrote it fixed the exact same issue for him.

3 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

I may have found something you can try. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-plugged-in-not-charging/m-p/5122111/highlight/true#M3143496

Someone wrote it fixed the exact same issue for him.

I will try this tomorrow but it doesn't indicate in Windows or Linux that its plugged in. The only indication is the light near the power port. My sister did say that even with it plugged in it did turn off on them. Now that being said, it was working on a Windows update so it might have restarted on its own as it was stuck on a black screen during boot up until I rebooted it a few times and it decided to finish updating. My sister and tech, a black screen and not booting to Windows could be not turning on. We will see.

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I will try this tomorrow but it doesn't indicate in Windows or Linux that its plugged in. The only indication is the light near the power port. My sister did say that even with it plugged in it did turn off on them. Now that being said, it was working on a Windows update so it might have restarted on its own as it was stuck on a black screen during boot up until I rebooted it a few times and it decided to finish updating. My sister and tech, a black screen and not booting to Windows could be not turning on. We will see.

Otherwise you could look in the BIOS for power management and charging options. If the problem is caused by some failure in advanced power management (ACPI) features, perhaps it's something you can disable.

16 hours ago, chtorogu said:

Otherwise you could look in the BIOS for power management and charging options. If the problem is caused by some failure in advanced power management (ACPI) features, perhaps it's something you can disable.

Did the method listed on HP's website and that did nothing. And its a very basic BIOS, like nothing about ACPI anywhere. The only battery option was to list estimated time the battery would power the device. My sister has another HP laptop so maybe the chargers are compatible but I wont know until I look and she lives a hour away so It wont be any time soon. But thanks for the help/ideas I do appreciate it.