Motherboard without ARGB header

Ronnmann
Go to solution Solved by NorKris,

the best controller (on paper) i would say is this https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-mhhn-10nn1-r1-black/p/1W8-0049-00071 

it has its own software and follow motherboard mode and reset button function 

as for fans 

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Customizable-Computer/dp/B0BB8JF87M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1F9FMCRI4U5ZW&keywords=cm%2Bmobius%2B120p%2Bargb&qid=1698996101&sprefix=cm%2Bmo%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

The price im seeing for 3 is 69(Nice!) 

they perform very close to noctuas best and have ARGB too 

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I prefer no LEDs as they don't help performance.

they dont?? wait wuut? where u get this stuff from huh?!

it comes from the myth that:   intake air that has to take a 90 degree turn is not "direct" airflow for an aircooler...

just stupid

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

it comes from the myth that:   intake air that has to take a 90 degree turn is not "direct" airflow for an aircooler...

just stupid

Yes just as i thought haha. 

Okay good i'll buy that cooler master Controller and some ARGB fans from them, is there a 3 Pack of these 120P's? 

In Germany one of them costs 34.90€ 😄 

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

1x3 fans of the D30 would be 84.90€ on Caseking. Is that fair? I would combine one of these 1x3 and 4 Be quiet fans (1 Exhaust ant 3 top) or would that look kinda wack? 

I guess the D30 is compatible with the cooler master controller, but i got one controller on the case pre installed but i dont find any infos about this controller **facepalm**

1 minute ago, Ronnmann said:

1x3 fans of the D30 would be 84.90€ on Caseking. Is that fair?

yes, i have 5 of them, they look sick

1 minute ago, Ronnmann said:

I guess the D30 is compatible with the cooler master controller, 

kind.. u will need standard ARGB to JST connectors  😞

PATIKIL 3 Pin 5 V 30 cm Motherboard Interface to SM3P Socket Power Supply RGB Black : Amazon.de: Computer & Accessories

Just now, NorKris said:

kind.. u will need standard ARGB to JST connectors  😞

PATIKIL 3 Pin 5 V 30 cm Motherboard Interface to SM3P Socket Power Supply RGB Black : Amazon.de: Computer & Accessories

For the ARGB to JST adapter, i can just buy one of them and daisychain the fans right? Or do i nee multiple of the adapters?

And for the controller i get with the case, i would buy the case first (inspect the Controller which ports it has, maybe i dont need the cooler master controller) and would write you back for some questions if i have any. 

If thats okay with you 🙂

53 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

For the ARGB to JST adapter, i can just buy one of them and daisychain the fans right? Or do i nee multiple of the adapters?

And for the controller i get with the case, i would buy the case first (inspect the Controller which ports it has, maybe i dont need the cooler master controller) and would write you back for some questions if i have any. 

If thats okay with you 🙂

yes do that

5 hours ago, Ronnmann said:

He says at 6:17 "ill advised" or something 😄 

Fish tanks Terrarium cases are not exactly ideal for air cooling. The air hits the glass corner on most terrarium cases, except for the few where the corner has been divided by a 45 degree angle piece, and that's just not good for airflow. Can you put an air cooler in there? Yes. Will it perform as well as in most other cases? Well, excepting cases that are designed for very little airflow (due to being for watercooling, or just because of stupid aesthetic decisions because of market pressure), no it's a bad choice. You'd have to put in a lot of extra thought about how to make the air flow correctly so the air cooler won't smother in the heat.

Personally, I will NOT recommend any new Phanteks D-RGB/RGB products. Why? They not only use proprietary connectors, they also have changed the electrical needs of the fans such that you can't use an adapter or replace the plugs with standard ARGB ones (according to an email they sent me today). They said that it's not possible because the power from the ARGB header would damage the fan LEDs, and that's why you MUST use the D-RGB fan hub (which supports SIX D-RGB devices but only THREE PWM fans). The only saving grace for me is that they haven't customized the PWM connectors. The hub is SATA-powered and plugs into the PC via USB.

To rephrase: you will not be able to use any other brands or even older Phanteks RGB/ARGB fans, RGB/ARGB strips, cases, etc. with the D-RGB hub and, if you want to do just that, you'll have to buy a different hub to support them. I'm boycotting all their D-RGB products (and the proprietary ones from Asiahorse, Corsair, Lian Li and NZXT, etc., too). I guess RobeyTech doesn't see anything wrong with this, but I do.

He made some good points about the wasted space under the PSU area due to the slant, the lack of ability to angle-mount a fan on the bottom, and a few other things.

One final note>>> In the past, various companies, including Corsair, have put out fans and stuff with proprietary connectors...and later completely abandoned them, making those devices possibly unusable in future builds.

If you don't mind the D-RGB issue kinda trapping you, and the other short-comings of this case and product line, I hope you'll enjoy it. If you want more options from all companies, however, and the ability to easily use an air cooler, don't get this.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1x3 fans of the D30 would be 84.90€ on Caseking. Is that fair? I would combine one of these 1x3 and 4 Be quiet fans (1 Exhaust ant 3 top) or would that look kinda wack?

Whether it looks bad is entirely up to your own judgement. What others think is hardly relevant unless what others think is more important than what you think. 😉

And for the controller i get with the case, i would buy the case first (inspect the Controller which ports it has, maybe i dont need the cooler master controller)

I guess the D30 is compatible with the cooler master controller, but i got one controller on the case pre installed but i dont find any infos about this controller **facepalm**

It is incompatible, as stated in my previous post. You cannot mix and match - you'll have to use both the CM and the NZXT hubs and fans separately.

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

Then you should call Dr. Demento. 🤣

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

Not according to NZXT. I quote from the email they sent me today:

Unfortunately, you can't use the NZXT Fan RGB on a normal ARGB Header from your motherboard, as it could cause damage to the fan LEDs.
Our RGB fans require a NZXT RGB connection.

This is also mentioned on our product page:
![](https://nzxtcorp.zendesk.com/attachments/token/ixIZVOBfeaYSv2PV7iAqIoi8o/?name=image.png)

If you want to use the fan anyway, you would need to get a NZXT RGB and Fan Controller or you have to return the item.

I did a little test with a D-RGB fan I got at Micro Center and, well, NZXT won't even release the pinouts, and whatever they did with those connectors, it's not the same as ARGB, plus the D-RGB hub connects to SATA for power, and USB for control.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

37 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Whether it looks bad is entirely up to your own judgement. What others think is hardly relevant unless what others think is more important than what you think. 😉

It is incompatible, as stated in my previous post. You cannot mix and match - you'll have to use both the CM and the NZXT hubs and fans separately.

I did a little test with a D-RGB fan I got at Micro Center and, well, NZXT won't even release the pinouts, and whatever they did with those connectors, it's not the same as ARGB, plus the D-RGB hub connects to SATA for power, and USB for control.

Thats a lot of info thanks for the Commitment! 😄 

What would be your fancy case of choice then? Your points against the Phanteks NV5 are indeed valid. I just thought it would look nice but i dont know if cases from example Kolink are good quality. 😮 

17 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Thats a lot of info thanks for the Commitment! 😄 

What would be your fancy case of choice then? Your points against the Phanteks NV5 are indeed valid. I just thought it would look nice but i dont know if cases from example Kolink are good quality. 😮 

I really suggest that you look at cases from different companies and share several here that you are actually interested in. My aesthetics are unlikely to be the same as yours. Make sure that each case appeals to you visually and has all the features you need without the drawbacks that you can't live with.

Then, we can look at them for you and try to provide feedback.

BTW, I would suggest starting a new thread for this, but you don't have to.

10 hours ago, RevGAM said:

we were not talking about NZXT or their 4 pin system.

but here is how u do it

1.png

creds goes to "aboxofdonuts" on this forum. 

the JST from phanteks is the "open ARGB system" with a different connector just like corsair is open ARGB with a different connector. 

6 hours ago, NorKris said:

we were not talking about NZXT or their 4 pin system.

but here is how u do it

1.png

creds goes to "aboxofdonuts" on this forum. 

the JST from phanteks is the "open ARGB system" with a different connector just like corsair is open ARGB with a different connector. 

Good lord. I should probably check into a nursing home if I can't keep NZXT and Phanteks separate in my head! 😞

That's very interesting. So the resistor decreases the power on that pin to prevent the LEDs from being shorted. Is this one specific to Phanteks? Is there one for NZXT?

Just now, RevGAM said:

Good lord. I should probably check into a nursing home if I can't keep NZXT and Phanteks separate in my head! 😞

😂

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Is this one specific to Phanteks? Is there one for NZXT?

Phanteks is open ARGB 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

😂

Phanteks is open ARGB 

So what is NZXT using?

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

So what is NZXT?

its own ecosystem of  arg.. Cam.. Crap ..

this: ARB-Crap  😄 

Will you be making a list of cases you like?