Motherboard without ARGB header

Ronnmann
Go to solution Solved by NorKris,

the best controller (on paper) i would say is this https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-mhhn-10nn1-r1-black/p/1W8-0049-00071 

it has its own software and follow motherboard mode and reset button function 

as for fans 

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Customizable-Computer/dp/B0BB8JF87M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1F9FMCRI4U5ZW&keywords=cm%2Bmobius%2B120p%2Bargb&qid=1698996101&sprefix=cm%2Bmo%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

The price im seeing for 3 is 69(Nice!) 

they perform very close to noctuas best and have ARGB too 

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I prefer no LEDs as they don't help performance.

they dont?? wait wuut? where u get this stuff from huh?!

Hey guys, 

i trying to suprise a friend with a new PC case (Phanteks NV5) and some ARGB fans but i dont think his MSI B360-A Pro has an ARGB Header. 

Is there a way to still use some fancy ARGB fans with an old i7-9th Gen Mainboard?

4 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Is there a way to still use some fancy ARGB fans with an old i7-9th Gen Mainboard?

you could use an rgb controller and plug it into one of the usb 2 headers 

Amazon.com: Thermalright ARGB Fan HUB Controller Support 8 Groups of Fans, 8-Port 4 Pin PC Fan Controller, 5V-3Pin ARGB Fan Hub, Strong Paste+Magnetic Suction (12V 4-pin RGB is not Supported) : Electronics

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

Heyyo Filpo thanks for the quick awnser, 

So do you control the Fans with software in windows then or where? (Color control)

that looks to be a HUB (aka follow motherbords commands )

what type would you like:
Software controll? 
button ( switch with reset button)?

RF remote?

52 minutes ago, NorKris said:

that looks to be a HUB (aka follow motherbords commands )

what type would you like:
Software controll? 
button ( switch with reset button)?

RF remote?

I dont plan to suprise him with hundreds of dollars but he's the type of guy who would love a remote haha 

Is there something good priced with a Remote?

And i found some good priced D-RGB Fans from Phanteks, what is the exact diffrence between ARGB and DRGB? 😮

1 hour ago, Ronnmann said:

And i found some good priced D-RGB Fans from Phanteks, what is the exact diffrence between ARGB and DRGB? 😮

DRGB is the word the manufactures that didn't get the "memo" calls it..

its the same, but some of them makes the connectors different when they call it DRGB

There are a lot of hubs and fan controllers that can solve your issue.  You don't have to spend a lot to get a remote controlled one. Some also connect to USB, and/or get power from your PSU (which is better).

That said, not all support ARGB.  Alseye and Asiahorse do, although you do need to watch out for propriety connectors on the fans and hub/FC.

So, aside from an RC, what else do you want? 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

20 hours ago, RevGAM said:

There are a lot of hubs and fan controllers that can solve your issue.  You don't have to spend a lot to get a remote controlled one. Some also connect to USB, and/or get power from your PSU (which is better).

That said, not all support ARGB.  Alseye and Asiahorse do, although you do need to watch out for propriety connectors on the fans and hub/FC.

So, aside from an RC, what else do you want? 

hey, so i read that in this case, there is already a fan controller built in (Phanteks NV5) can i just combine that with the Phanteks SK PWM fans?

https://www.caseking.de/phanteks-sk-pwm-d-rgb-luefter-3er-pack-120mm-schwarz-luph-054.html?tplview=desktop&_gl=1*1k46ezx*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwkY2qBhBDEiwAoQXK5az1iqQBfEiTHpDjoG3tGOa9PMl1Q3j_zYS5NPz1f10opiPzp8-GzhoC6GQQAvD_BwE )

And if so i did not find how to plug the fan/controller hub into the Mainboard. 😮

3 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

hey, so i read that in this case, there is already a fan controller built in (Phanteks NV5) can i just combine that with the Phanteks SK PWM fans?

https://www.caseking.de/phanteks-sk-pwm-d-rgb-luefter-3er-pack-120mm-schwarz-luph-054.html?tplview=desktop&_gl=1*1k46ezx*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwkY2qBhBDEiwAoQXK5az1iqQBfEiTHpDjoG3tGOa9PMl1Q3j_zYS5NPz1f10opiPzp8-GzhoC6GQQAvD_BwE )

And if so i did not find how to plug the fan/controller hub into the Mainboard. 😮

Sorry can i combine this with the MSI B360-A Pro???

Screenshot 2023-11-02 164718.png

2 hours ago, Ronnmann said:

I was unable to find the hub info, but the fan PWM plugs are standard. The ARGB plugs are SM, it appears, same as what Lian Li uses. So the hub must have that or you'll have to buy adapters. If you can find out the hub model I might be able to determine if it has the right ports. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Sooo i read something about an RGB Controller that i can just deliver with power and thats all i need and want. 

Which brand is not that Pricey and good enough for 6 DRGB fans? 🙂

On 11/1/2023 at 5:05 PM, filpo said:

i kinda forgot that your first awnser was literally an RGB controller. How do i control the RGB then? At Phanteks NV5 site they say you could control it with Razer chroma, but thats not going to work if i use another RGB Controller right?

5 hours ago, Ronnmann said:

Sorry can i combine this with the MSI B360-A Pro???

Screenshot 2023-11-02 164718.png

That says JST, so I'm assuming that, since this isn't a specific product, all D-RGB products use the same "SM" (Lian Li's name for it, I guess)/"JST" connectors.

It is SO much better doing this on my computer than a phone! *blissful smile*

I believe that the SK fans you listed should connect just fine to the hub. You won't be able to connect the hub to the mobo, however, since mobo doesn't have an ARGB header, or even an RGB header. As near as I can determine, this is the hub, it is powered by SATA and has a 3-button corded controller. You'd have to double-check with Phanteks to make sure that it's what's in the NV5.

You DO have plenty of PWM headers, at least.

Their documentation sucks about as much as Corsair's. 😞

17 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

i kinda forgot that your first awnser was literally an RGB controller. How do i control the RGB then? At Phanteks NV5 site they say you could control it with Razer chroma, but thats not going to work if i use another RGB Controller right?

You won't be able to use Chroma or anything else with that mobo since you can't connect the hub to it. Also, you won't be able to use the Thermalright hub, either, since it doesn't have the right kind of ports for the SK fans....Unless you buy adapters.

46 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

You won't be able to use Chroma or anything else with that mobo since you can't connect the hub to it. Also, you won't be able to use the Thermalright hub, either, since it doesn't have the right kind of ports for the SK fans....Unless you buy adapters.

I read something about an extra Controller that you plug into the USB header on the mainboard with extra molex power, i could just use one of them cant i ?

2 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

I read something about an extra Controller that you plug into the USB header on the mainboard with extra molex power, i could just use one of them cant i ?

Yes, but don't forget that they're unlikely to have the same ports as are needed for the "DRGB" SK fans, so you'll have to buy adapters for the fans or replace the plugs on the fans with standard ARGB plugs.

Just now, RevGAM said:

Yes, but don't forget that they're unlikely to have the same ports as are needed for the "DRGB" SK fans, so you'll have to buy adapters for the fans or replace the plugs on the fans with standard ARGB plugs.

That would be stupid if i finally got to the point of working ARGB fans on a non ARGB mainboard and have the wrong fans haha. 

what is your recommendation on good ARGB fans that do not cost 90€ for 3 ? 😄

Just now, Ronnmann said:

That would be stupid if i finally got to the point of working ARGB fans on a non ARGB mainboard and have the wrong fans haha. 

what is your recommendation on good ARGB fans that do not cost 90€ for 3 ? 😄

I would ask @NorKris. He's obsessed with that stuff. I prefer no LEDs as they don't help performance. What do you say, Kris? Which non-proprietary connector ARGB fans should Ronnmann consider, with SATA powered hub that can plug into USB, too. Maybe remote control, too?

Personally, I'll just say that I think the best looking ones are "infinity", and there are plenty.

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

I would ask @NorKris. He's obsessed with that stuff. I prefer no LEDs as they don't help performance. What do you say, Kris? Which non-proprietary connector ARGB fans should Ronnmann consider, with SATA powered hub that can plug into USB, too. Maybe remote control, too?

Personally, I'll just say that I think the best looking ones are "infinity", and there are plenty.

Important to me would just be that they work with the USB header (With the controller) as normal that you can set the Color in Software IF that still works with this method

the best controller (on paper) i would say is this https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-mhhn-10nn1-r1-black/p/1W8-0049-00071 

as for fans 

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Customizable-Computer/dp/B0BB8JF87M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1F9FMCRI4U5ZW&keywords=cm%2Bmobius%2B120p%2Bargb&qid=1698996101&sprefix=cm%2Bmo%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I prefer no LEDs as they don't help performance.

8 hours ago, NorKris said:

as for fans 

Okay that would be that thanks! 

One last question, in one Video about the NV5 from Phanteks the guy said "Air cooler is not very good" because the Cpu cooler does not have direct airflow. 

isn't that just nonsense or should you really use that case only with an AIO?

2 minutes ago, Ronnmann said:

Okay that would be that thanks! 

One last question, in one Video about the NV5 from Phanteks the guy said "Air cooler is not very good" because the Cpu cooler does not have direct airflow. 

isn't that just nonsense or should you really use that case only with an AIO?

if u can give me a link to the vid ? 😉 

air coolers have a longer life and perform well, but they do not have the thermal capacity and top end cooling capability's as AIOs have. 

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

if u can give me a link to the vid ? 😉 

air coolers have a longer life and perform well, but they do not have the thermal capacity and top end cooling capability's as AIOs have. 

He says at 6:17 "ill advised" or something 😄