What would be the best bang-for-the-buck GPU upgrade from a GTX 1080?

Pommes_Peter

I am currently using my GTX 1080 that I bought in 2016 and it has served me incredibly well thus far. But I have been looking into upgrading it for some time now.

I am a University Student in Germany, therefore my budget is a bit limited. So I am not looking into getting any of the most recent flagship cards, as that would just simply be too expensive.
I have basically written off the entire 40-Series entirely for example. I would consider options from all GPU manufacturers, am obviously most used to Nvidia though.
Getting a used card isn't a dealbreaker for me either. And I would add the re-sell value of my current card to my budget.
My current favorite would be a used RTX 3070. (though the 8GB of VRAM does kind of turn me off from it in light of recent game releases).

It's hard to give an exact number for my budget however, as 50€ more or less isn't gonna make-or-break this, which is why I am looking for options to find the best value for me.

Thanks guys!

7 minutes ago, Pommes_Peter said:

I am currently using my GTX 1080 that I bought in 2016 and it has served me incredibly well thus far. But I have been looking into upgrading it for some time now.

I am a University Student in Germany, therefore my budget is a bit limited. So I am not looking into getting any of the most recent flagship cards, as that would just simply be too expensive.
I have basically written off the entire 40-Series entirely for example. I would consider options from all GPU manufacturers, am obviously most used to Nvidia though.
Getting a used card isn't a dealbreaker for me either. And I would add the re-sell value of my current card to my budget.
My current favorite would be a used RTX 3070. (though the 8GB of VRAM does kind of turn me off from it in light of recent game releases).

It's hard to give an exact number for my budget however, as 50€ more or less isn't gonna make-or-break this, which is why I am looking for options to find the best value for me.

Thanks guys!

Used 3080 or 3080Ti...

I got a 3080 Aorus Master V3 for 400 Euro in April from a 970, and oh boy how I was pleased.

1 minute ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

Used 3080 or 3080Ti...

I got a 3080 Aorus Master V3 for 400 Euro in April from a 970, and oh boy how I was pleased.

400€ for a 3080 does sound amazing. Looking for deals on that one as well for sure!

5 minutes ago, Pommes_Peter said:

400€ for a 3080 does sound amazing. Looking for deals on that one as well for sure!

There are plenty on Ebay. that said you might have to shop around a little... as it depends on when sellers put them up.

My seller was also kind enough and provided original purchase proof just in case in need of RMA (they bought it during the crypto craze... hope they made up that 500Euro)

9 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

There are plenty on Ebay. that said you might have to shop around a little... as it depends on when sellers put them up.

My seller was also kind enough and provided original purchase proof just in case in need of RMA (they bought it during the crypto craze... hope they made up that 500Euro)

Definitely have to shop around a little.

If I'm looking for a good deal on used hardware, it's not uncommon for me to spend as much as 2 weeks searching around before I find something I'm satisfied with.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Definitely have to shop around a little.

If I'm looking for a good deal on used hardware, it's not uncommon for me to spend as much as 2 weeks searching around before I find something I'm satisfied with.

Yeah. Especially with this I would like it to be somewhat local so I can go pick it up. I'm not in a hurry. I made is this long with my 1080, a little longer will do haha 🙂

1 minute ago, Pommes_Peter said:

Yeah. Especially with this I would like it to be somewhat local so I can go pick it up. I'm not in a hurry. I made is this long with my 1080, a little longer will do haha 🙂

My advice is aim for higher end models. My rational is even if they been mined on, beefier cooler can keep the temps under control, limiting die ware. In my particular case, it's also from a Nordic country, where summer never got hot anyway.

And also do a bit research, like the Gigabyte 3080 Aorus Master had bad VRM temps for v1 due to bad thermal pads. But the one I got is v3 which have that issue fixed, I quickly made an offer and was expecting seller go in between mine and theirs' but they accepted my first offer so done deal.

*3080 3090 Aorus  Master seems also rumored to have PCB crack near PCIe slot cracking issue, but I suspect it's because people didn't use GPU support. After all these are some chunky cards... mine take up 3.5 slot while the bracket is only 2 slot. Besides, same issue happens on Asus cards too.

15 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Give me EVGA or give me death

I found an offer for a 400€ RTX 3080 MSI Suprim 10g. That I could be picking up in person. Seems like a reasonable card to me. What do you think?

13 minutes ago, Pommes_Peter said:

I found an offer for a 400€ RTX 3080 MSI Suprim 10g. That I could be picking up in person. Seems like a reasonable card to me. What do you think?

It's a decent card and should be fine.

I tend to lean towards EVGA because their stuff is the best, and they stopped making GPUs after the 30-series.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a decent card and should be fine.

I tend to lean towards EVGA because their stuff is the best, and they stopped making GPUs after the 30-series.

Yeah I heard that EVGA is goated in this space and especially their customer support. But I don't think there are many of them on the used market here. And at least MSI is a reputable brand.