Building a pure backup server (with bonus Unraid question)

b34r

Hi All,

I'm (finally) building a backup server for my media library and am looking for an excuse to venture out of my comfort zone, OS-wise, for this endeavor 😄 

Here's what I've got going on:

My Setup:

• I'm running Unraid, which hosts my various dockers and holds all my personal files and media.
    • The array is 6, 20TB drives - 2 parity, 4 data, for a usable 80TB.
    • I'm, currently, using about 12TB total.
  • Personal and system-critical (i.e. nextcloud, unraid system files, etc) data is backed up to azure blob storage via Duplicati.

My Backup Server Hardware:

• 5x6TB drives - configuration TBD, but leaning toward 1 parity, 4 data for 24TB usable.
    • I'm joining the Jonsbo N1 gang, so 5 drive slots is all I'm going to get. My plan is to move to bigger drives in the backup server as my data grows.
  • 16gb ram, Ryzen 5 5600G, 2x 256gb nvme (I don't think I need cache for a write-only server and if I go Unraid I don't need boot drives, but I have them, so here they are.)

My Problem:

• My ~10TB of media (acquired over literal decades of ripping, trading, scrounging, creating, and otherwise "finding") is YOLOing on the array (with parity, but still...)

My Goal:

• Create a backup on separate hardware, either of the whole array or specifically my media files.
  • I don't plan to access data off this server for anything other than recovery scenarios - it won't run plex or any of my other dockers, it's basically just blob-at-home.
  • Bonus points if this is something I could move out of my house later and link back home via vpn or whatever.

My Questions:

• Is there a compelling reason for running something other than Unraid on my backup server?
    • I'm familiar and comfortable in Unraid at this point, which counts for a lot. But, I'd also need a new license, so I'm considering those two a wash.
    • I don't believe I need any of the other extras Unraid offers (docker, vms, etc.)
    • Whatever I end up with has to let me grow the array in place (i.e. let me replace the existing 6TB drives with bigger ones as needed, ideally without the need to flatten the array and restart my backups from scratch. Unless there's a _really_ compelling reason to do that.)
  • And the Bonus Unraid Questionâ„¢: what software makes sense for this, whether I'm backing up the whole array or just media files?
    • Duplicati is up and running, but it's mostly backing up a ton of small (by comparison) files. Are there special considerations for much larger media files?
    • Data on the backup server does NOT need to be readable - in fact, I'd prefer compressed/encrypted for a potential off-site (i.e. my buddy's basement) move in the future.

If you're still with me, thanks!

Hit me with your ideas & suggestions 🙂