GPU doesnt work in pcie x16 mode

Beeswitt
Go to solution Solved by longxh,

total PCIE bandwidth is far from a problem on HEDT platforms, you may have a problematic GPU, but agian it doesn't make much of a difference.

Hello everyone. Can someone give me an advice? I know that the difference between x16 and x8 is negligible, but this is more a matter of principle.

After launching GPU-Z, I saw that the video card was running in x8 3.0 mode. But it is connected to the top PCIE X16 connector. Also in the BIOS it is displayed that it is connected to X16 but works in X8 native. I read a few forums and this is what I tried to do:

- Reinstalling the GPU into another x16 slot.

- Running Furmark and check GPU-Z

- Cleaning pins on the GPU.

- Cleaning the connector.

- Using a different OS.

- Reinstalling drivers.

- Installing a GPU without attaching it to the case in a horizontal position of the motherboard.
- Repeated reinstallation of the video card into the connector to “clean the pins on connector from oxidation.”
- I applied extra pressure on cpu cooler for better pressure with the pins of socket.
- I checked all possible BIOS settings.

- I pulled out all other devices from the PCIE connectors.

- Reinstalling the CPU

My hardware:

CPU - i7 4960x

Motherboard - Asus Rampage iv extreme (BIOS version - 4901 modded for support for nvme)

GPU - GTX 780 Ti

RAM - HyperX Beast DDR3 2400Mhz 4x8Gb

PSU - Aerocool GT 1050W

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

IMG_4415.jpeg

try removing the extra pcie cards and see if that fixes your issue

You can also try putting your gpu in a diff slot cause im pretty sure you can control the bandwidth of the pcie x16 slots so you can put your gpu in whatever x16 slot and still have it be running in x16, atleast thats what i see on my p6t deluxe v2 and p6x58d-e where i can choose pcie slot configs and have the second x16 slot have full x16 bandwidth

Btw thats a pretty interesting build

Is this a retro build or something? Cause the case and cooler screams modern white theme build but the components scream 2013 especially the gpu, not like getting a better one is that expensive either (used 8gb rx 580s going for like 60$ or less)

48 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Hello everyone. Can someone give me an advice? I know that the difference between x16 and x8 is negligible, but this is more a matter of principle.

After launching GPU-Z, I saw that the video card was running in x8 3.0 mode. But it is connected to the top PCIE X16 connector. Also in the BIOS it is displayed that it is connected to X16 but works in X8 native. I read a few forums and this is what I tried to do:

- Reinstalling the GPU into another x16 slot.

- Running Furmark and check GPU-Z

- Cleaning pins on the GPU.

- Cleaning the connector.

- Using a different OS.

- Reinstalling drivers.

- Installing a GPU without attaching it to the case in a horizontal position of the motherboard.
- Repeated reinstallation of the video card into the connector to “clean the pins on connector from oxidation.”
- I applied extra pressure on cpu cooler for better pressure with the pins of socket.
- I checked all possible BIOS settings.

- I pulled out all other devices from the PCIE connectors.

- Reinstalling the CPU

My hardware:

CPU - i7 4960x

Motherboard - Asus Rampage iv extreme (BIOS version - 4901 modded for support for nvme)

GPU - GTX 780 Ti

RAM - HyperX Beast DDR3 2400Mhz 4x8Gb

PSU - Aerocool GT 1050W

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can also try putting your gpu in a diff slot cause im pretty sure you can control the bandwidth of the pcie x16 slots so you can put your gpu in whatever x16 slot and still have it be running in x16, atleast thats what i see on my p6t deluxe v2 and p6x58d-e where i can choose pcie slot configs and have the second x16 slot have full x16 bandwidth

Is this a retro build or something? Cause the case and cooler screams modern white theme build but the components scream 2013 especially the gpu, not like getting a better one is that expensive either (used 8gb rx 580s going for like 60$ or less)

There's way less PCie lanes on a  "retail" chipset than an Epyc or Threadripper one, LGA1150 has *16 total* !

So as long as you use other slots than the GPU slot it'll work at x8, which is not a big deal, given the card performance it doesn't need 8GB/sec bandwidth

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

total PCIE bandwidth is far from a problem on HEDT platforms, you may have a problematic GPU, but agian it doesn't make much of a difference.

21 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

There's way less PCie lanes on a  "retail" chipset than an Epyc or Threadripper one, LGA1150 has *16 total* !

So as long as you use other slots than the GPU slot it'll work at x8, which is not a big deal, given the card performance it doesn't need 8GB/sec bandwidth

That is lga 2011 not 1150 so lots of pcie lanes available

54 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I have already tried all this. Above I wrote everything I tried to do.
There is no line selection setting on my MB, only GEN3, GEN2, GEN1.

No, this is not a retro build, but the first stage of upgrade. I planning to install 2060 Super

45 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yep, that is LGA2011. And CPU with 40 lanes. Aaand first slot always get x16 no matter how many devices are in other slots (referring to MB manual).

41 minutes ago, longxh said:

I will try to install another GPU. Maybe it will work in x16. But, if not, maybe it is CPU or MB issue. Or both😅

39 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Yep, that is LGA2011. And CPU with 40 lanes. Aaand first slot always get x16 no matter how many devices are in other slots (referring to MB manual).

Oops my bad read "4970" instead of "4960X" 😛 

Intel has such bad naming habits, with the 4960X  numbered between the 4770 and 4970, while being something totally different !

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, MobiRulez said:

I have already tried all this. Above I wrote everything I tried to do.
There is no line selection setting on my MB, only GEN3, GEN2, GEN1.

ill have a look at a rampage iv bios overview and see if i can find anything

1 hour ago, MobiRulez said:

No, this is not a retro build, but the first stage of upgrade. I planning to install 2060 Super

Im guessing that youll upgrade the platform next?

Used b3/450 are like 50-70$ and used 5600(x) are 80-100$ or used 3600(x) around 50-60$ which would be a pretty massive upgrade over a 4960x

also you may be able to find used 5700(xt), 6600(xt), or even 3060(ti) for a similar price which should be better than the 2060s

So basically the first stage is just recasing your old hardware? Cause unless you find this stuff for dirt cheap doesnt really make sense to buy x79, a 780ti, nor some 2400 binned rams especially in a matching 4x8 kit (should clock well past 3000 cause im pretty sure theyre hynix mfrs, imc might be an issue though)

27 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ill have a look at a rampage iv bios overview and see if i can find anything

Im guessing that youll upgrade the platform next?

Used b3/450 are like 50-70$ and used 5600(x) are 80-100$ or used 3600(x) around 50-60$ which would be a pretty massive upgrade over a 4960x

also you may be able to find used 5700(xt), 6600(xt), or even 3060(ti) for a similar price which should be better than the 2060s

So basically the first stage is just recasing your old hardware? Cause unless you find this stuff for dirt cheap doesnt really make sense to buy x79, a 780ti, nor some 2400 binned rams especially in a matching 4x8 kit (should clock well past 3000 cause im pretty sure theyre hynix mfrs, imc might be an issue though)

I mostly play on PS5 now, and use PC quite rarely. It all started with the fact that my old water cooling became unusable. I also hated my old case, which was wildly noisy and annoying with its size. I replaced the cooling and case. Next I plan to change the GPU for something more... usable, and that’s probably all.
When I’m ready, I’d rather build a new PC than update this one bit by bit. Now I just fixed things that were critical for me. 
Also, applied some overclock on CPU and RAM, and it feels much better

12 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

I mostly play on PS5 now, and use PC quite rarely. It all started with the fact that my old water cooling became unusable. I also hated my old case, which was wildly noisy and annoying with its size. I replaced the cooling and case. Next I plan to change the GPU for something more... usable, and that’s probably all.
When I’m ready, I’d rather build a new PC than update this one bit by bit. Now I just fixed things that were critical for me. 

So basically just a stopgap pc

2400 ddr3 is pretty slow though so if possible try cranking it up abit further, hynix mfr/bfr do well over 3000 so ics wont be a limiter

Spoiler

IMG_20231007_234423.thumb.jpg.488ad6c9c0cdfc42a6d3059c360c9b12.jpgIMG_20231007_234454.thumb.jpg.e3f5f7cc4bddc99b5db031e7e28884d0.jpg

Ivy e controller should be pretty close to gulftown in terms of max ram oc and there is a ddr3 4000mhz sub for the 4960x (24 multi, 160bclk strap) so id atleast hope for 2800, it is dual rank though so you may only get around 2800 ish

This is 2800 stable on 2 double sided cfr sticks with an i7 930, board has a trash 3rd channel so ill need to get a better board (has trouble posting even a slow 2500 with 3 sticks), pretty easy to get this running since its just a matter of set vdimm set vtt and set primaries

you problably wont need much voltage as long as you dont dump all your voltage into cl and tcwl, problably ~1.8v instead of the 2.1v im running here cause cfrs are pretty mid clockers

As for the cpu just run it as fast as the cooler allows, id consider ~1.52v safe but you problably wont be running over 1.45v anyways

Strap problabaly 125 since the 2400 ram multi works, unsure about 2666 and 2800 ram multis but 3000 is problabaly pushing it for a dual rank 4x8 config

And right i forgot to check the damn bios overview so might aswell give some oc settings while i check for pcie lane settings, make sure you save your current profile before attempting oc just so you can fallback onto your current oc

That could be why? NVME on that platform may take away some lanes..

Are you using NVME drives?  Have you tried without them

Looks like your board has 2 black colored PCIe slots, one x1 and one x16.

I'd move your other PCIe cards into those slots instead of your red PCIe x16 slots and see if that fixes it.

It's not uncommon for these older up to 4-way SLI boards to shuffle around the lane distribution depending on how you have the slots populated -- I would guess the red slots are linked to the CPU, and the black slots go through the chipset. With a 40-lane CPU, I could easily see the board forcing x8/x8/x8/x8 for all of the CPU's PCIe slots to balance the bandwidth for running SLI setups.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Yea no theres no settings for changing pcie lane config so looks like thats just on asus x58 boards, only being able to set pcie link speed tor gen 1-3

As for oc settings yea ill definitely need some more references probs would help if you send some screenies of your ai teaker menu to see current volts and also ram timings

A rough guess would be

Cpu strap set to 1.25x/125

Vccsa, vtt, and 2nd vtt +0.1 over current value on your oc

Memory frequency 2666mhz

Vdimm 1.7v

(Dram timing control)

12-15-15-40 (cl,trcd,trp,tras) command rate/mode 2t

If that works set memory frequency 3000mhz, vdimm 1.8v

if no post set trcd trp and tras to auto, if stil no post raise vccsa and vtt by +0.05v till post (stop at 1.45v),

might also help if you set trfc (ref cycle time) to 400 during this to prevent any post issues caused by the rams

Keep in mind that imc will be the main limiter here

Dont have any personal experience with mfr unfortunately but am looking to buy some to sell alongside my x58a ud3r, pretty sure i can boost its value by a decent bit with 3000mhz+ rams (literally just oem bare pcb 1333/1600 hynixes that i can buy for 3$ each overclocked to 3000+)

33 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea no theres no settings for changing pcie lane config so looks like thats just on asus x58 boards, only being able to set pcie link speed tor gen 1-3

As for oc settings yea ill definitely need some more references probs would help if you send some screenies of your ai teaker menu to see current volts and also ram timings

A rough guess would be

Cpu strap set to 1.25x/125

Vccsa, vtt, and 2nd vtt +0.1 over current value on your oc

Memory frequency 2666mhz

Vdimm 1.7v

(Dram timing control)

12-15-15-40 (cl,trcd,trp,tras) command rate/mode 2t

If that works set memory frequency 3000mhz, vdimm 1.8v

if no post set trcd trp and tras to auto, if stil no post raise vccsa and vtt by +0.05v till post (stop at 1.45v),

might also help if you set trfc (ref cycle time) to 400 during this to prevent any post issues caused by the rams

Keep in mind that imc will be the main limiter here

Dont have any personal experience with mfr unfortunately but am looking to buy some to sell alongside my x58a ud3r, pretty sure i can boost its value by a decent bit with 3000mhz+ rams (literally just oem bare pcb 1333/1600 hynixes that i can buy for 3$ each overclocked to 3000+)

Thank you with this advices for OC. I will try that.

I am running these OC:
CPU - 4.4Ghz, Vcore 1.24v (i tried 4.5Ghz with 1.35v, but it was not stable and temps were meh. I think i am comfortable with that)
RAM - 2400Mhz, 1.65v, 10-12-11-24-1 (setting this timings was a random, just checked if it boots or not. I am newbie in OC. But really want to try it out).
I can send you my BIOS OC params if you want to help😊

1 hour ago, Allan B said:

That could be why? NVME on that platform may take away some lanes..

Are you using NVME drives?  Have you tried without them

Hmm, i will try switching to second bios, that is not modified. Yes, i am using pcie to m.2 adapter, with Samsung 970 Evo Plus. 
And yes, i tried without it, just unplugged all pcie cards, only GPU was connected

54 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Looks like your board has 2 black colored PCIe slots, one x1 and one x16.

I'd move your other PCIe cards into those slots instead of your red PCIe x16 slots and see if that fixes it.

It's not uncommon for these older up to 4-way SLI boards to shuffle around the lane distribution depending on how you have the slots populated -- I would guess the red slots are linked to the CPU, and the black slots go through the chipset. With a 40-lane CPU, I could easily see the board forcing x8/x8/x8/x8 for all of the CPU's PCIe slots to balance the bandwidth for running SLI setups.

I checked MB manual, and it says that first pcie slot always get x16, even if there 4 GPUs. Also, tried to unplug everything, except GPU, no success

1 hour ago, Beeswitt said:

I checked MB manual, and it says that first pcie slot always get x16, even if there 4 GPUs. Also, tried to unplug everything, except GPU, no success

that's not happening ever... your max should be 16-16-8... if you have 3..  you only have 40 to split 🙂

but.. i've seen the 16x modifier fubar before... 

use HWINFO64  and under the GPU section check and read out the PCIE LINK SPEED. 

5 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

Imo it doesn't make much sense to upgrade the GPU on such an old and super weak platform by today's standards, unless it's just the first step in a full replacement path

7 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

Thank you with this advices for OC. I will try that.

I am running these OC:
CPU - 4.4Ghz, Vcore 1.24v (i tried 4.5Ghz with 1.35v, but it was not stable and temps were meh. I think i am comfortable with that)
RAM - 2400Mhz, 1.65v, 10-12-11-24-1 (setting this timings was a random, just checked if it boots or not. I am newbie in OC. But really want to try it out).
I can send you my BIOS OC params if you want to help😊

Sure just send the parameters or screenshots of ai tweaker for voltage reference

Ram definitely looks like hynixes

Apparently raising bclk strap to 125 can help with cpu oc abit so you can try for 4.5 or 4.6

Dont think i can give precise settings as i dont know how x79 behaves for overclocking but i can give an oc methodology

Set bclk to 125 and leave bclk strap at auto since the board will figure out the best strap to use, adjust cpu and ram multi accordingly to match your current oc or atleast be as close to your current settings so cpu ratio 35x, ram at 2500 (20x multi), and the rest of the ram timings aside from cl12, command rate/mode 2t, and trfc 450, to auto

That should post and if it does you can try 2666 which should also post with ease

Now you can try jumping to 3000 by setting ram multi to 24x (should just appear as 3000 in the menu), vdimm = 1.8v, extra vdimm may not be neccesary but you can go back down to 1.65v if no post

If you encounter no post may need to raise vccsa and both vtt volts by 0.05v till post (stop at 1.45v) but depends on what postcode you get stuck at when no post

Changed my gpu for RTX 2060 Super, and it works in x16 with no problem.
The issue was my old GTX 780Ti