Laptop battery drops to 0% randomnly

Agena_

I bought a preowned lenovo 530s laptop, seemed good when checking it out, had windows 11 which i then downloaded windows 10 on
came home and set windows up, an its full charge captain was only 10.4 out of its original 45.45wh.

So I still used it for 2 days while waiting for the grade B official lenovo battery i ordered from ebay.

i switched them, and i charged the laptop to 100% with the new battery, used it for 3 mins then it suddenly dropped to 0% and laptop died. Thought it might be a one off thing.
so i recharged to 100%, used for 20 minutes, battery was around 65% and it dropped to 0% again.

So i switched it back to the original battery i bought it with because that would be better to use and the same thing happened. after about 30mins of usage, it dropped to 0% and shut down.

windows says its updated, lenovo automatic driver update on browser says everthing is updated.

How can i fix this?

(I've got the latest bios version and now im writing this with it plugged it in, laptop is at 14% and im guessing as long as i use it plugged in it shouldnt randomnly shut down to 0%)

Batteries are shot or dead.  This is usually the issue.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, Ramamataz said:

Batteries are shot or dead.  This is usually the issue.

that's what I assumed, but im scared its not
as the original battery that i bought from the other person i used it for the weekend and it never did that issue. but when i got the new battery that issue started, and i thought it was the new battery fault. but now the original battery has the same issue

Is there anything during battery change that couldve caused it?

if both batteries are 5 years old like the laptop then it makes sense they dont hold a charge

Had a battery on an older HP that would (somewhat) randomly just die and power off, turned out to be the battery management chip was fried since the battery level after power-off would jump randomly, got a new real battery and it was fixed (also happened to gain capacity because battery tech)

Keep charging and discharging the batteries.  If they are fully charged in 1h 30m, then only charge them for one hour tops.  Then only discharge them for less time than you charged them.  The idea is to not get the charge level very low, and to attempt to use the cells that do still work and hopefully it will eventually learn how long it can stay on.

A website called battery university has a great explanation of why it is not ideal to keep lithium-ion battery anywhere near full charge, especially overnight.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Try the two batteries you have for a few weeks, and if they still can't hold a charge, the charging chip may need a few fresh charging cycles to re-calibrate itself, or whatever it may be doing:

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-414-how-do-charger-chips-work

So keep trying to charge it, and it may be that it has lost some capacity, but let's assume the battery capacity is higher than 25%.  I just find that a bit low for only a few years.  Even if it IS a low 25% capacity, it should last more than 20 minutes.  This would mean the battery, when new, could only power the computer for 80 minutes, which is quite low for a fairly new system.

I have a laptop from about 2012 or so, and the battery still powers the laptop for nearly two-hours, but I only let it run down to 40% and I try to unplug the charger when it gets near 70%, still giving me an entire hour of battery runtime.  It really is not great physical effort to get up and plug in the charger into the outlet, and also to the laptop.  My setup with pi-hole usually has an issue with the wifi disconnecting after about 30 or 45 minutes (could be too many constant block requests at over 900 per minute at times) so I'm up anyway, resetting the network settings in virtualbox, and then turning on the wifi again.  It's probably a wireless aoftware issue on Windows.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.