ShadowPlay recording wrong software

Go to solution Solved by flibberdipper,

I think the issue is that where AirServer is technically a media application in your case, it's throwing ShadowPlay off and recording that instead. I feel like your only options in this case are to close AirServer or use OBS Studio instead since you can tell it to only record specific windows, or just record the wholeass screen.

Hi All, I have tried to condense this as much as possible

Shadowplay has been recording a software that is in the background instead of the game i'm playing and i can't figure out how to change this without closing that other application. 

For reference I have a 1 ultrawide monitor setup, so it isn't the other issue I've seen while attempting to remedy this where the incorrect monitor records.

This means that after i use instant replay to record a clip, im left with just my mic audio and a background program being recorded 

Here are the programs i was using at the time:
Game attempting to be recorded with instant replay: Halo Master Chief Collection (however the same issue occurs in any game)

Program that was actually recorded: AirServer for Windows 10 (it is in the background behind the game)

Other softwares open: just discord

Steps i have tried so far to remedy this: changing the order i open applications, minimize airserver, restart pc.

and i can't find a setting for which program is recorded in any of the nvidia settings

So, does anyone know a solution?

Thank you all in advance for help and for reading such a lengthy post

PS: Just Closing AirServer does solve the issue but it would be ideal to avoid this as I use it to airplay from my phone so i can control music (apple music not spotify) on my pc from phone/watch (round about solution ik, but i come up with ridiculous jank solutions to problems like this) 

I see a lot of people put their computer here

Mine is an m1 macbook air xD

base model

planning to get an m1x mac mini when it exists for heavier video editing

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow

I think the issue is that where AirServer is technically a media application in your case, it's throwing ShadowPlay off and recording that instead. I feel like your only options in this case are to close AirServer or use OBS Studio instead since you can tell it to only record specific windows, or just record the wholeass screen.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 10/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, flibberdipper said:

or just record the wholeass screen.

Does shadowplay even have that option?

I see a lot of people put their computer here

Mine is an m1 macbook air xD

base model

planning to get an m1x mac mini when it exists for heavier video editing

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow

59 minutes ago, himynameisryan21 said:

Does shadowplay even have that option?

In the overlay, you should see a menu option for privacy control. You can enable desktop recording there.

image.thumb.png.a5bb1aec00d526ebb5d7fcdbaccdda0b.png

But I think what @flibberdipper was referring to was just using OBS to record your screen. Shadowplay is great when it works, but severely limited when you run into conflicts like this and can't manually make changes.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

10 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

But I think what @flibberdipper was referring to was just using OBS to record your screen. Shadowplay is great when it works, but severely limited when you run into conflicts like this and can't manually make changes.

Bang on. It is just about useless if you don't enable the ability to record the desktop. Granted, now half the time games just go to the folder where it would normally record the desktop, but that also means that now it's actually recording the damn game which it was not doing before.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)