Battery Replacement

HardStroke

After 2.5 years it looks like the time has come for my battery

Bought my Note 20 Ultra 5G back in march of 2021 and its really good but the battery is really showing its age and I want to replace it

From Samsung, a battery replacement is around 100 bucks (new battery + reseal from what I've heard)

Of course once my phone is opened I will no longer trust it near water (not that I do now)

The back glass just opened by itself the other day, the adhesive has dried (battery didn't swell)

Since a replacement from Samsung is expensive, I just got a new original and sealed battery from a friend

My only concern is how do I get the old battery out? I've seen some videos of repairs and Samsung uses so much glue on it

Can the alcohol damage something? what % of alcohol should I use? I really don't wanna buy a new phone

Is it true that the new battery need to be calibrated? drained to 0 and charged to 100, left charged for another 2 hours and drained again to 0

and where can I find new adhesive for the back glass? I got a skin on it and its not cracked so I don't want to replace it

I saw one on amazon but it says that it only fits the N986U which is the single sim version and mine the N986B/DS version (dual sim) so I'm not sure if it'll fit

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

7 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

After 2.5 years it looks like the time has come for my battery

Bought my Note 20 Ultra 5G back in march of 2021 and its really good but the battery is really showing its age and I want to replace it

From Samsung, a battery replacement is around 100 bucks (new battery + reseal from what I've heard)

Of course once my phone is opened I will no longer trust it near water (not that I do now)

The back glass just opened by itself the other day, the adhesive has dried (battery didn't swell)

Since a replacement from Samsung is expensive, I just got a new original and sealed battery from a friend

My only concern is how do I get the old battery out? I've seen some videos of repairs and Samsung uses so much glue on it

Can the alcohol damage something? what % of alcohol should I use? I really don't wanna buy a new phone

Is it true that the new battery need to be calibrated? drained to 0 and charged to 100, left charged for another 2 hours and drained again to 0

and where can I find new adhesive for the back glass? I got a skin on it and its not cracked so I don't want to replace it

I saw one on amazon but it says that it only fits the N986U which is the single sim version and mine the N986B/DS version (dual sim) so I'm not sure if it'll fit

Welcome to Right to Repair:

https://www.ifixit.com/Search?doctype=product&query=Note 20 ultra 5G

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

4 hours ago, HardStroke said:

drained to 0 and charged to 100, left charged for another 2 hours and drained again to 0

I hope you are successful in your dis/reassembly.

Do not drain the battery below 25% and especially do not charge above 80 or 85% at the most.  Even more importantly is do not allow the battery to be charged above 85-90% overnight.  Keeping a Lithiun-ion battery at high charge (95-100%) and leaving it plugged in for hours at a time, is trickle charging it at high voltage, which severely reduces capacity per charge over time, much more degrading than staying below 85% or so.

Similarly, 0% is also not a good idea, because of depth-of-discharge.  If you go from 85% all the way down to 0%, you will put more wear on the charging process vs staying above 15%.

At 85% to 15%, while still I fairly high depth-of-discharge, will allow a much higher per-charge capacity over thousands of more charging cycles.

A website called battery university has some great charts explaining capacity combined with estimated charge cycles.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

4 hours ago, HardStroke said:

Does not ship to my country

Guess I'll just keep looking

Worst case scenario I'll use a case to hold the back glass in place 😆 

What country are you shipping to?

13 hours ago, E-waste said:

I hope you are successful in your dis/reassembly.

Do not drain the battery below 25% and especially do not charge above 80 or 85% at the most.  Even more importantly is do not allow the battery to be charged above 85-90% overnight.  Keeping a Lithiun-ion battery at high charge (95-100%) and leaving it plugged in for hours at a time, is trickle charging it at high voltage, which severely reduces capacity per charge over time, much more degrading than staying below 85% or so.

Similarly, 0% is also not a good idea, because of depth-of-discharge.  If you go from 85% all the way down to 0%, you will put more wear on the charging process vs staying above 15%.

At 85% to 15%, while still I fairly high depth-of-discharge, will allow a much higher per-charge capacity over thousands of more charging cycles.

A website called battery university has some great charts explaining capacity combined with estimated charge cycles.

Yeah I know that, I used to do the 0-100-0 with old phones back in the day

When I got the phone out of the box I drained the battery to 0 and then charged it to 100 and left it like that for 2-5 minutes and after that just kept using it normally

With my current phone I charge it to 80-85% and let it drop to 15-20% before charging it again

I try my best to do this all the time but at the end of the day the phone was made to serve my needs and not vice versa 

I use Accubattery for battery monitoring. it shows that the battery health is at 78% and the capacity is 3490mah instead on 4500mah

I guess its not that bad for 2 years and 7 months

9 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

What country are you shipping to?

Israel

It’s generally just better to pay for the OEM repair and get the short warranty as they’re not that expensive. If it was a logic board replacement on a Mac for example I would 100% do it myself and save the grand. 

1 hour ago, RabbidEwok said:

It’s generally just better to pay for the OEM repair and get the short warranty as they’re not that expensive. If it was a logic board replacement on a Mac for example I would 100% do it myself and save the grand. 

Its really expensive and I already have the battery

Where I'm from they charge you a bag and give you the phone back with no warranty so its basically "New battery + reseal, that'll be 100 bucks. Here ya go, no warranty no nothing. Something went wrong? f u"

Now go prove them it wasn't your fault, gl with that

I'm not sure if they even seal it back to be water resistant but either way I won't trust my phone near water again because it was already opened

10 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Good luck🫡

Yeah I know....

Looks like it'll be jerryrigged with a case then

2 hours ago, HardStroke said:

Its really expensive and I already have the battery

Where I'm from they charge you a bag and give you the phone back with no warranty so its basically "New battery + reseal, that'll be 100 bucks. Here ya go, no warranty no nothing. Something went wrong? f u"

Now go prove them it wasn't your fault, gl with that

I'm not sure if they even seal it back to be water resistant but either way I won't trust my phone near water again because it was already opened

And where are you from? 

23 hours ago, RabbidEwok said:

And where are you from? 

Israel