liquid metal

i know this is usually used between the cpu die and the ihs, but can this also be used between the ihs and heatsink?

Just now, smoothnobody said:

i know this is usually used between the cpu die and the ihs, but can this also be used between the ihs and heatsink?

Can ? yes
Should you ? No

Dangerous ? Yep

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

guess i should have also asked if the temp difference is meaningful. i know you dont get the same results when used on the die, but i heard when used on the ihs it's not much better than paste. not sure if that is accurate.

7 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

guess i should have also asked if the temp difference is meaningful. i know you dont get the same results when used on the die, but i heard when used on the ihs it's not much better than paste. not sure if that is accurate.

100% accurate. It should really only be used on the IHS to DIE, not the IHS to cooler. The benefits you get from LM are very few vs the amount of risks.

If you want something that will last the new Kryosheet should be a apply once and never have to worry about it again until you have to take it apart if you are moving.

9 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

Depends on the chip and the thermal density of it. On an old X58 chip, the difference is negligible. On a 13900K or 7950X, it's a bit more noticeable (still not usually worth it in 98% of cases). 

Also it only helps when the IHS is either soldered or has liquid metal under it. For a 8700K for instance without a delid, there won't be any difference, whereas with a delid it'll help a little (not enough to be worth while, but 2-3C when on water).