Buy 13th gen intel or wait for 14th?

rpalmz46

Looking to upgrade my CPU from 10700k to intel 13th gen or maybe a ryzen chip but I read the 14th gen chips are too release semi soon should I wait until they release and buy one of those?

Unless you have money literally burning a hole in your wallet.... Wait. Your CPU isn't even that old, you would barely get any sort of benefits from upgrading now. Most of them would be in synthetic benchmarks or in very specific apps. At most you'd be look at maybe 1 to 20 fps depending on whether the game is CPU bound and a few seconds gained on other tasks.

Like any potential purchase, ask yourself : "Do I really need this right now? Is what I have now not good enough for my purpose?"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Wait. Your CPU isn't even that old, you would barely get any sort of benefits from upgrading now. Most of them would be in benchmarks or in very specific apps and not in real world. At most you'd be look at maybe 1 to 20 fps depending on the game and a few seconds gained.

It could be worth it for some people. Especially productivity is much better on 13th gen cpus. In some scenarios 13th gen i3 overpowers 10th gen i7. Although im not sure if this is true. 

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Unless you have money literally burning a hole in your wallet.... Wait. Your CPU isn't even that old, you would barely get any sort of benefits from upgrading now. Most of them would be in synthetic benchmarks or in very specific apps. At most you'd be look at maybe 1 to 20 fps depending on whether the game is CPU bound and a few seconds gained on other tasks.

Like any potential purchase, ask yourself : "Do I really need this right now? Is what I have now not good enough for my purpose?"

Well looking at starfield in particular I gain nearly 20-30fps over my current cpu as i am gpu bound with my 3080 it only utilizes around 60-80% maximum.

15 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Well looking at starfield in particular I gain nearly 20-30fps over my current cpu as i am gpu bound with my 3080 it only utilizes around 60-80% maximum.

Starfield is an unoptimized mess of a game running on spaghetti code from a 1997 engine that scales terribly for modern hardware.

You shouldn't expect the same results with any game that comes out.

1 minute ago, iSynthMan said:

Starfield is an unoptimized mess of a game running on spaghetti code from a 1997 engine that scales terribly for modern hardware.

You shouldn't expect the same results with any game that comes out.

Well you say that but tons of the games these days come out un-optimized starfield is just one of the many. I do agree its specifically bad but I also plan to play the new cod and games like that when they come out and I think a new cpu makes a lot of sense for those games.

7 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Well you say that but tons of the games these days come out un-optimized starfield is just one of the many. I do agree its specifically bad but I also plan to play the new cod and games like that when they come out and I think a new cpu makes a lot of sense for those games.

The "new" COD will basically be a DLC. Therefore, if you can run Warzone II fine now, there's no indication that will change anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, iSynthMan said:

The "new" COD will basically be a DLC. Therefore, if you can run Warzone II fine now, there's no indication that will change anytime soon.

I can run it just not as well as I want once again being cpu bottlenecked by about 40-60fps. To me its worth it since I am going to be able to sell my old parts to a buddy and maybe the 14th gen cpus are even better though idk by how much since they are going to be refreshes I believe.

6 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

I can run it just not as well as I want once again being cpu bottlenecked by about 40-60fps. To me its worth it since I am going to be able to sell my old parts to a buddy and maybe the 14th gen cpus are even better though idk by how much since they are going to be refreshes I believe.

If you can sell and lower the cost I guess go for it.

I'm a hypocrite I'm upgrading from 13th gen to Ryzen 7000 lol

45 minutes ago, iSynthMan said:

If you can sell and lower the cost I guess go for it.

I'm a hypocrite I'm upgrading from 13th gen to Ryzen 7000 lol

Why did you upgrade to ryzen from 13th intel? From what I've seen in many benchmarks it seems intel still pulls ahead.

2 hours ago, rpalmz46 said:

Why did you upgrade to ryzen from 13th intel? From what I've seen in many benchmarks it seems intel still pulls ahead.

At this point it absolutely depends on what you do. On anything with heavy emphasis on cache and IPC like most video games right now the Zen 4 architecture is more efficient on it and gives you better framerate. While in productivity that doesn't scale a lot of cores, and games with heavy clock speed advantage due to lax usage of instruction like OG CS, Intel would do better thanks to the process offload to E cores.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

43 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

At this point it absolutely depends on what you do. On anything with heavy emphasis on cache and IPC like most video games right now the Zen 4 architecture is more efficient on it and gives you better framerate. While in productivity that doesn't scale a lot of cores, and games with heavy clock speed advantage due to lax usage of instruction like OG CS, Intel would do better thanks to the process offload to E cores.

Yeah I have long debated if I should go for ryzen or not to be honest. I usually go with intel since it's what I've always done but thanks for sending me this video, I may have to alter my decision to some extent. I just know that the next ryzen cpus probably wont release for a while and sort of want an upgrade now ish.