Considering a new update to my PC, again! SSD? Or what

zaidh99

So I am basically considering checking if I NEED聽to update anything in my PC or anything for now is going to be just luxury updates

I wanted to add a new 1TB SSD to my PC especially since the prices have gone down for them and I was just curious if that's the right move. I thought I would keep the HDD I have for storing clips, pictures, etc. anything that is just there for storage, and then the 500SSD that has my OS on and whatever else currently and the new SSD for the games I want to download.聽

I am having trouble just keeping games on my PC and leaving them there till I use them again, like PUBG, GTA, R6, or even DBD.

So is getting a new SSD the right move? I remember from previous forms I was advised to up my RAM speed, like getting a new 16GB higher speed RAM, if I remember correctly I have two sticks both 8GB 2400MHz聽

All other my PCspecs should be there not sure how to attach them to the post tho heh my bad. Thanks in advance for any help you provide 馃

trying to add the specs聽

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
  • RAM
    16 2400MHZ
  • GPU
    GTX 1660 Super
  • Storage
    500GB SSD, 1TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA 550W N1
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 24" CRG5 Curved 144Hz +ASUS VP228HE GAMING 21.5"
  • Cooling
    Deepcool AG400 Air cooler
  • Sound
    HyperX cloud II

14 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

So I am basically considering checking if I NEED聽to update anything in my PC or anything for now is going to be just luxury updates

I wanted to add a new 1TB SSD to my PC especially since the prices have gone down for them and I was just curious if that's the right move. I thought I would keep the HDD I have for storing clips, pictures, etc. anything that is just there for storage, and then the 500SSD that has my OS on and whatever else currently and the new SSD for the games I want to download.聽

I am having trouble just keeping games on my PC and leaving them there till I use them again, like PUBG, GTA, R6, or even DBD.

So is getting a new SSD the right move? I remember from previous forms I was advised to up my RAM speed, like getting a new 16GB higher speed RAM, if I remember correctly I have two sticks both 8GB 2400MHz聽

All other my PCspecs should be there not sure how to attach them to the post tho heh my bad. Thanks in advance for any help you provide 馃

trying to add the specs聽

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
  • RAM
    16 2400MHZ
  • GPU
    GTX 1660 Super
  • Storage
    500GB SSD, 1TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA 550W N1
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 24" CRG5 Curved 144Hz +ASUS VP228HE GAMING 21.5"
  • Cooling
    Deepcool AG400 Air cooler
  • Sound
    HyperX cloud II

If you don't transfer a lot of data or huge files in and out of your storage drive often, HDD is enough IMO.

If you want to buy another SSD, just make it your game/software drive.

But yep, If I have to choose between the SSD and the RAM. I'd say I will go for better ram.

Unless I really can no longer stomach the lack of space for my games.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

To be honest in your place I would upgrade the GPU before upgrading the RAM. Your RAM is slow, but it won't make that much of a difference (5-10% at best), and 16GB is enough for games unless you do some heavy multitasking, like running VMs while you're gaming. But the GPU is the most likely bottleneck for most games on your setup.

Now this of course is irrelevant if you don't have enough space to install your games, so if you don't have enough storage or you want to play some games that require an SSD (like Starfield), definitely get that first. But performance wise I think you'll benefit most from a GPU upgrade.

TL;DR:

1. Storage if you don't have enough

2. GPU

3. RAM

For viewing large sequential files such as movies and shows, a HDD is a good option.聽
For editing video files, an SSD is a good option

Many games require an SSD for a good experience due to large textures that need to be loaded on the go.聽

Basically unless its a media server, an SSD is the best option.聽

Also, you are quite right, you would see a performance bump by going to 3600Mhz memory, you can buy a 32GB kit of 3600Mhz CL18 for around 拢65/$70 these days.聽

@djenson@256shadesofgrey@Poinkachu

hey all thanks for your replies and help,

so to clarify for everyone at once hopefully thats not bad way of replying

So the reason I considered the SSD because I want to put my valorant and R6 on an SSD for a way faster loading because sometimes it takes ages especially on first load and only ~486GB SSD wont be enough with my OS and more than one game and idk what else is there tbh 聽any specific suggestions for the ssds are kingston sata 3 2.5 good?

For RAM not sure if there is a big reason to be honest, I can run stuff smoothly just that twitch/YT with valorant dont run very nicely on two screens the stream lags when I have focus on the game heh but thats just luxury

And for the graphics card since that is way bigger update than the other two option and currently no struggles in fps etc I think I might postpone it but I would love if you give me any types of upgrades or suggestions I was looking through them and I think if I want any noticeable difference I need to pay around 300-400$ 聽

again thank you so much for your time and help 馃

8 hours ago, zaidh99 said:

@djenson@256shadesofgrey@Poinkachu

hey all thanks for your replies and help,

so to clarify for everyone at once hopefully thats not bad way of replying

So the reason I considered the SSD because I want to put my valorant and R6 on an SSD for a way faster loading because sometimes it takes ages especially on first load and only ~486GB SSD wont be enough with my OS and more than one game and idk what else is there tbh 聽any specific suggestions for the ssds are kingston sata 3 2.5 good?

For RAM not sure if there is a big reason to be honest, I can run stuff smoothly just that twitch/YT with valorant dont run very nicely on two screens the stream lags when I have focus on the game heh but thats just luxury

And for the graphics card since that is way bigger update than the other two option and currently no struggles in fps etc I think I might postpone it but I would love if you give me any types of upgrades or suggestions I was looking through them and I think if I want any noticeable difference I need to pay around 300-400$ 聽

again thank you so much for your time and help 馃

What's your budget for the new SSD, and what is your current SSD ?

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

What's your budget for the new SSD, and what is your current SSD ?

My budget for anything new is around 100$聽 max聽 and the one I have is聽

480GB A400 SATA3 2.5 SSD (7mm height)

But if there is a suggestion for a GPU necessity I can save up for something better

2 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

My budget for anything new is around 100$聽 max聽 and the one I have is聽

480GB A400 SATA3 2.5 SSD (7mm height)

But if there is a suggestion for a GPU necessity I can save up for something better

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB is around $50 at Amazon.

Refresh before you reply

17 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB is around $50 at Amazon.

https://citycenter.jo/samsung-1tb-970-evo-nvme-m-2-internal-ssd?search=samsung 970 EVO
Here is a local store, is this the same one you mean?
Its 160 JDs聽
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KNOH5ZW1TDI5&keywords=Samsung%2B970%2BEvo%2B1TB&qid=1694774981&sprefix=samsung%2B970%2Bevo%2B1tb%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-3&th=1聽I dont know why it's way cheaper in Amazon, even with shipping at custom it reaches to 70$聽

2 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

Ah I thought you're in the US.

Is that the online marketplace you usually buy parts from ?

Refresh before you reply

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Ah I thought you're in the US.

Is that the online marketplace you usually buy parts from ?

Yup basically everything on my PC is from there and its usually matches Amazon and places they get the parts imported from聽
Thoughts on this?聽https://citycenter.jo/samsung-980-pro-1tb-pcie-4-0-nvme-m-2-2280-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-up-to-7000-mb-s?search=samsung &category_id=758

3 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

Yup basically everything on my PC is from there and its usually matches Amazon and places they get the parts imported from聽
Thoughts on this?聽https://citycenter.jo/samsung-980-pro-1tb-pcie-4-0-nvme-m-2-2280-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-up-to-7000-mb-s?search=samsung &category_id=758

It's funny that on there 970 Evo 1TB is 160JD, while 980 Pro 1 TB or Kingston Fury 1TB is 59JD.

Refresh before you reply

19 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It's funny that on there 970 Evo 1TB is 160JD, while 980 Pro 1 TB or Kingston Fury 1TB is 59JD.

I was so confused seeing the price 160 for an SSD, maybe because its out of the stock they didnt update the price聽

So what should I go for do you think? And do you agree its SSD > GPU/RAM for now ?聽

18 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

I was so confused seeing the price 160 for an SSD, maybe because its out of the stock they didnt update the price聽

So what should I go for do you think? And do you agree its SSD > GPU/RAM for now ?聽

If you need drive space then you need drive space. Who am i to debate that.聽

I'm not gonna start forcing you to bear with it. 馃槅

Especially if you feel okay with your PC current perf

As for 980 pro,聽 it should be good yeah.

But just in case, check the firmware after you bought it, IIRC there was a problem with some SKU that were fixed by firmware update

I need to get home and look at some stuffs first using not my phone. Since the Kingston Fury Renegade is priced the same

Refresh before you reply

5 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

If you need drive space then you need drive space. Who am i to debate that.聽

I'm not gonna start forcing you to bear with it. 馃槅

Especially if you feel okay with your PC current perf

As for 980 pro,聽 it should be good yeah.

But just in case, check the firmware after you bought it, IIRC there was a problem with some SKU that were fixed by firmware update

I need to get home and look at some stuffs first using not my phone. Since the Kingston Fury Renegade is priced the same

Yeah just meant whats next聽
But yeah thank you, anything specific I need to keep in mind when I am picking an SSD?

10 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

Yeah just meant whats next聽
But yeah thank you, anything specific I need to keep in mind when I am picking an SSD?

Either the 980 Pro or the Kingston Fury should do well.

Pick whichever you know have good warranty service in your country.

Refresh before you reply