im gonna be specific on what i would want from linux os

im a windows user i use windows bare metal i want to try linux but i want to use a distro that a windows user like me can easily transition to without a huge learning curve to deal with

also id like it if it worked best with nvidia GPU and i can install nvidia gpu drivers real easy like and can game real easily

what linux distro is best for me?

9 minutes ago, ambidexwing said:

can game real easily

Until you said this, I would easily say Linux Mint.  It's not that you can't game on Linux, it's just that I'm still going to say just don't. Linux is my primary OS and has been for a very long time. I find it easier to use for basically everything. However gaming, I still boot up Windows. I don't want to deal with this game or that game not working, or trying to remember which games do or don't work. Don't get me wrong, Linux gaming is getting much better, and has come a long way, but even as a big Linux fan, I'll admit gaming is the wrong use case (personal opinion). Hopefully that continues to change.

Everything else, sure install Linux and have at.

I've never gotten a game just not working. All of them do. But some of them (10-20%) required tweaking, about 5 of them heavy tweaking. 😄
So it depends on what you play, really.

For gaming, especially with an NVIDIA-GPU, I recommend POP!_OS.
That's the distro a non-techy friend of mine chose, although he's a very quick and interested learner, and he couldn't be happier with it.

But I'll also say this: If you're quick to give up once something doesn't work, and in my experience most people are, then Linux just isn't for you. You won't be happy with it. I'm writing this fully aware that people also had to learn windows and deal with its downsides, but they just don't remember it and after all, they had to learn it.
You're more likely to get frustrated easily if windows is waiting to be reinstalled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 1:20 AM, BankHealthy said:

get ZorinOS. It has good support for Nvidia and even some .exe files.

Since, he's just starting out - I'd recommend he stay with Ubuntu (22.04 or 23.04) - or PopOS - once, accustomed to it, then sure, experiment with distros like this.   

Ubuntu gets the right GPU drivers installed out of the box if you select the third-party non free software checkbox during install. Also Steam works pretty nice, natively and with compatibility layer. I played Banished yesterday, though it ain't "a heavy" game it ain't native to Linux neither.

On 9/14/2023 at 4:16 AM, ambidexwing said:

im a windows user i use windows bare metal i want to try linux but i want to use a distro that a windows user like me can easily transition to without a huge learning curve to deal with

also id like it if it worked best with nvidia GPU and i can install nvidia gpu drivers real easy like and can game real easily

what linux distro is best for me?

Pop!_OS! it has drivers for Nvidia GPUs in the ISO itself. so you don't have to worry about drivers at all!!

also, it has a windows 11 like vibe so you won't feel homesick😉

just a heads-up, gaming on linux isn't all smooth sailing like it is on windows! you may face issues with games every now and then!

probably forgot about this comment so just tag me or quote me pls!