[QUESTION] Windows XP SP3 32bit System for Old audio gear, is installing more than one stick of ram An issue?

Hello LTT Community, 

I am rebuilding a Mackie DXB 200, it's essentially a console that hosts it's OS on Windows 32Bit Systems. Currently, I plan to have the system run Windows POS Ready 32bit in the endgame, and I am compiling components based off of an upgrade list Provided from a group chat. Due to TOS i can't really share the guide I'm following but I can share the purchase list from Ebay!

My main concerns are that the parts are scarce and i want to be clear, i want to follow the guide word for word to avoid FF-ing shiz up. Apparently the Mackie Software is just that unstable and finicky. 

The RAM is the culprit in question. I will be Able to buy either:

1. 1x Stick of 4gb

2. 1x Stick of 8gb

3. 2x Sticks of 8gb for 16gb

4. 4 Sticks of 8gb for 32gb 

I know a 32bit system is only going to be capable of 4gbs, but I want to make use of dual channel on the MB. Is it safe to drop the 16gb set in my MB? Or should I just stick with one stick of 4gb ram? 

Another question would be if I am good with the components Here? It looked like nothing was incompatible, but a second pair of eyes would be nice. 

Thanks guys!

Screenshot_2023-09-08_233211.png

Screenshot_2023-09-08_233158.png

Screenshot_2023-09-08_233120.png

Screenshot_2023-09-08_233221.png

Edited by VitaminZeth
- spelling and included a few links

you may as well run dual channel.  no reason not to.

32 bit will be a ton slower, so it won't really matter either way tho.

32 bit operating systems can use more than 4 GB of ram, but Microsoft artificially limits Windows XP 32 bit to 4 GB to keep things simple ... back then some drivers were assuming user can't have more than 4 GB and sometimes they crashed the pc when using more than 4 GB of ram.

For example, Windows 2008 32 bit can use up to 64 GB of memory, and if my memory is correct Windows 2003 could do 32 GB or something like that.

A 32 bit process can access up to 3 GB of memory, a bit more with some tricks that are by default off.

When deciding how much memory, also keep in mind the motherboard limitations. Some motherboards only support up to 2 GB sticks. Some support 4 GB sticks, but only 8 GB in total even when the motherboard has 4 slots. For a 32 bit OS, I'd suggest using 2 sticks of 2 GB each.  Dual channel does give the pc a bit of a boost, and is supported by hardware transparently.

I wouldn't buy all the components there in your list.  I hope you didn't place the order already.  Certainly don't need the pc speaker, you don't need that 20 to 24 pin atx extension , you don't need that SSD and that memory... 

Also, lots of motherboards have serial supported by chipset or superio chip, so all you need is a bracket with the serial port, no need to resort to USB.  See COM1 headers on motherboards.

Also, ordering from so many sellers ins a pain in the ass.

You'd get better deal if you buy motherboard + ram + cpu as a combo on eBay  but you would probably end up better buying a refurbished system or one of those small volume machines. 

For example, here's a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT motherboard with a Intel I3-3240 for 27$ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/166216486715

q77 chipset, has serial, has vga, displayport, standard 24 pin atx connector and you can upgrade up to a 3770

If you don't mind not having pci-e slots and using integrated graphics, here's another option , a board from a Shuttle mini pc : https://www.ebay.com/itm/165735162200  - Shuttle XPC DS61 FS61 Motherboard H61 LGA1155 DDR3 with Intel Pentium G2020

You get dvi and hdmi, you get to use cheap so-dimm (laptop) ddr, you have serial port headers, there's loads of drivers on the site including xp : https://global.shuttle.com/main/productsSpec?productId=1653

And you can power it with a cheap 19v 90w laptop adapter style power supply, example https://www.digikey.com/short/n75jvrt5

(just check manual or the connector to get the size right, 2.5mm inner diameter , 5.5mm outer diameter is the most common size connector , followed by 2.1/5.5)

image.png.6857294be7649cb12503daa10a9b5a17.png

Serial port headers are here  (2 of them ) ---------^^^^^   example of serial port  bracket : https://www.ebay.com/itm/391745074267

Also has RS232 with configurable 5v or 12v output

see guide where you have all pinouts explained : DS61_EN.pdf

image.thumb.png.a597b85e4133fda97bc6761961434f3a.png