Possibly broken 2080Ti?

Theguywhobea

Alright so I recently low balled a guy on a eBay for a used 2080Ti and it ended up working out. However, now that I have it in my system, it doesn't seem to be working all that well. My current setup is an 11900k at stock settings, 32GB RAM, Seasonic Focus 750w power supply, and the aforementioned 2080Ti. Whenever I boot into a game, it crashes the game within a minute or two maybe, sometime I don't even get in the game. I have been able to see through GPUZ and Afterburner that it appears to either crash when it reaches a hotspot temp of 105C, or when it starts drawing around ~275w. This is also the Gaming X Trio version so it has 2 8 Pins and 1 6 Pin, all of them are connected using their own separate cable going to the PSU.

I am starting to get suspicious that the GPU itself is busted as firstly it was packed incredibly poorly, and when I got it out it had some nasty gunk on it? It also smelled kind of sweet? I took the back plate off and cleaned it all off with IPA, and there was no signs of corrosion or burn marks or anything troubling.聽

Hoping this just means it probably needs to be completely torn down and cleaned + repasted?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

might be why the dude was selling it.聽 If it was sold to you as used and it isn't functioning then you can return it (even if the seller put "no returns" in the description.) If it was sold as for part or not working you're sol.聽 OR you could try reapplying thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly's Hydronaut is a good one)聽 and see if that works.聽 Your focus 750W shouldn't be tripping if it is only drawing 275W cause your 11900K won't be drawing 500W in a game

I'm not sure how the 20 series does when it come to transient loads.聽 I know the 30 series was spikey as hell (sometimes 3x TDP of the card)聽 Could be the heat is causing some instability in the power draw of the card and causing enough transient to trip OCP on your PSU聽

聽With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

14 minutes ago, ChonkerFox said:

might be why the dude was selling it.聽 If it was sold to you as used and it isn't functioning then you can return it (even if the seller put "no returns" in the description.) If it was sold as for part or not working you're sol.聽 OR you could try reapplying thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly's Hydronaut is a good one)聽 and see if that works.聽 Your focus 750W shouldn't be tripping if it is only drawing 275W cause your 11900K won't be drawing 500W in a game

I'm not sure how the 20 series does when it come to transient loads.聽 I know the 30 series was spikey as hell (sometimes 3x TDP of the card)聽 Could be the heat is causing some instability in the power draw of the card and causing enough transient to trip OCP on your PSU聽

Yeah that's the thing, it was sold as "Used" condition, but he wrote "untested" in the sellers description. I contacted him to try to work it out without having to get eBay involved but he is firm that even though he sold it as Used it doesn't have to work properly, so I will let eBay sort it out.

The odd thing is that it doesn't even reset the whole graphics driver, just the game? Like explorer stays working, my other monitor stays on showing video like normal.

56 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I am starting to get suspicious that the GPU itself is busted as firstly it was packed incredibly poorly, and when I got it out it had some nasty gunk on it? It also smelled kind of sweet?

Only thing I can think of for something like that is vape juice from vaping. I had bought used Noctua fans once on eBay and when I got them, they had an odor. Looked at the sellers description and didn't say anything about it until I contacted the seller and they confirmed it was in a friend's PC that who vaped. They offered a return and I did so as I couldn't get the smell out.聽

16 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah that's the thing, it was sold as "Used" condition, but he wrote "untested" in the sellers description. I contacted him to try to work it out without having to get eBay involved but he is firm that even though he sold it as Used it doesn't have to work properly, so I will let eBay sort it out.

Still though, imo, used means it's not new or NIB and has been opened and confirms to be in working condition. The way this graphics card is working out for you would be "For parts or not working". Seller should have marked it as "For parts" since it was not tested and well they should pick up the tab here.

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Still though, imo, used mean it's not new or NIB and has been opened and confirms to be in working condition. The way this graphics card is working out for you would be "For parts or not working". Seller should have marked it as "For parts" since it was not tested and well they should pick up the tab here.

Yeah this guy just would not hear that at all, and said I should have asked him questions about it before I submitted my offer lol.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah this guy just would not hear that at all, and said I should have asked him questions about it before I submitted my offer lol.

Ohh!! It's gonna be one of聽those sellers...yeah definitely if they want to be snarky about it I'm sure they might be hiding something about it.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Ohh!! It's gonna be one of聽those sellers...yeah definitely if they want to be snarky about it I'm sure they might be hiding something about it.聽

Hopefully it's not stolen or something? He kept saying he had no way to test it, which makes it sound like it obviously wasn't something he purchased at any point...聽

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Hopefully it's not stolen or something? He kept saying he had no way to test it, which makes it sound like it obviously wasn't something he purchased at any point...聽

Hmm that's unusual. Does the seller's store show other computer items as well??

5 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Hmm that's unusual. Does the seller's store show other computer items as well??

No, just model trains. Even though his profile says no returns it appears he has accepted a return this time? So I guess this card will just be going back. To be honest, still not convinced $180 for a working 2080Ti was even that amazing of a deal?

5 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

No, just model trains. Even though his profile says no returns it appears he has accepted a return this time? So I guess this card will just be going back. To be honest, still not convinced $180 for a working 2080Ti was even that amazing of a deal?

Ah ok. Slightly weird for a model train seller to be selling a 2080 Ti. It does seem a little low for a 2080 Ti so I'd suspect it was.聽

38 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

he is firm that even though he sold it as Used it doesn't have to work properly

That's bullshit.聽 eBay will side with you.聽 file a return. ignore the seller.聽 explain that it does not work

聽With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, ChonkerFox said:

That's bullshit.聽 eBay will side with you.聽 file a return. ignore the seller.聽 explain that it does not work

Yeah no worries man, I was already sent a return label from eBay. I will be sure to be documenting my packing it up to send back though just in case lol.