Intel to AMD

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, BI6_AL said:

I maybe should have said that I am using the same Motherboard brand, I don't know if this will make a difference?

Not likely to make a difference. It's the chipset drivers that usually end up causing issues if they do, not something like the network adapter. 

Hi Folks, I could do with some advice, I am upgrading my CPU and Motherboard but I'm changing from Intel to AMD.

What I need to know is will I be able to just swap them out and use my exsisting M.2 with windows on or will it need a fresh install of windows?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, BI6_AL said:

or will it need a fresh install of windows?

Need to? No.

Should? Probably. 

There's usually some sort of driver conflicts when you go from one team to another for CPU, to the point where you can get some very strange issues. If you want to roll the dice on your current OS install, that's fine, I have done this before with my daily systems and been completely fine, but at the same time at the first sign of weirdness I'd just do a reinstall rather than spending time trying to troubleshoot it. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Need to? No.

Should? Probably. 

There's usually some sort of driver conflicts when you go from one team to another for CPU, to the point where you can get some very strange issues. If you want to roll the dice on your current OS install, that's fine, I have done this before with my daily systems and been completely fine, but at the same time at the first sign of weirdness I'd just do a reinstall rather than spending time trying to troubleshoot it. 

I can agree with this. I went Intel to AMD a couple of years ago and ran into a few different issues with drivers and it was nearly impossible for me to narrow down. I did a fresh install of Windows and the problem went away. So not 100 percent sure it was the same scenario, but pretty confident.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Need to? No.

Should? Probably. 

I maybe should have said that I am using the same Motherboard brand, I don't know if this will make a difference?

3 minutes ago, BI6_AL said:

Not likely to make a difference. It's the chipset drivers that usually end up causing issues if they do, not something like the network adapter.