Asus X99 Deluxe code 00

Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

X99 has a ton of issues with their BIOS chips failing, causing many issues. I suspect that your BIOS chip is failing and potentially causing issues, as was the case for quite a lot of people.

I've recently procured an Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard, and have been attempting to swap it for the Gigabyte X99-UD4 currently residing in my Proxmox server.

First hardware test went fine, configuration was X99 Deluxe, i7-5930K, and 2x8GB of RAM. I updated the BIOS to the most recent version, test went fine. Installed the Xeon E5-2690v4, that tested okay, moved my 4x16GB DDR4 over, that continued to go well, board was detecting everything and working perfectly.

I power down and go to sleep for the night, thinking to get everything fully set back up today, and find out the X99 Deluxe no longer wants to boot and is throwing error code 00, which indicates "CPU abnormal", but I could occasionally get the board to POST and poke around in the BIOS depending on USB and SATA devices. Seems now it's finally given up working properly, except with my Core i7 5930K and 5820K. For whatever reason, it seems to have decided overnight to hate running with the Xeon E5-2690v4 installed.

The motherboard's BIOS is fully updated and supports the Xeon E5-2690v4, 16GB DDR4 modules, the whole deal. It's apparently given up POSTing with the Xeon installed, but works fine with Core i7 CPUs.

You'd think this means the Xeon might've gotten fried at some point, so I dropped it into my Gigabyte X99-UD4 to test it there and it works perfectly.

Full list of parts involved in these shenanigans:
Xeon E5-2690v4

Core i7 5930K

Core i7 5820K

2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 DDR4-2400

4x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws5 DDR4-2400

Asus X99 Deluxe, flashed to latest BIOS version(4101)
Gigabyte X99-UD4, flashed to latest BIOS version(F24c)

Radeon HD 5450 for display output

Corsair RM1000x power supply

2x WD Blue 1TB SATA SSDs

Everything I have seems to be working completely perfectly, but somehow one motherboard and one CPU are having a disagreement. Any other ideas for things I can try?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

X99 has a ton of issues with their BIOS chips failing, causing many issues. I suspect that your BIOS chip is failing and potentially causing issues, as was the case for quite a lot of people.

Interesting, I've never heard of that problem.

How would I diagnose it, and why would it not cause issues with my other CPUs?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting, I've never heard of that problem.

How would I diagnose it, and why would it not cause issues with my other CPUs?

I would find it hard to specifically say why it causes issues with ones not the other, i can only speculate potentially why. Maybe one CPU causes it to have that issue due to w/e hardware defect is causing it, and the other ones arent in that specific spot of the memory chip. 

I have had my x99 MSI Gaming 9 ACK mobo just die out of no where, and it ended up being a bios chip failure and as i looked up if it was a bigger issue at the time, quite a lot of x99 Mobos had quite a few issues with bios chips just failing. Usually thats the first to go bad when having this type of issue. Other then that its going to have to have a full diag from a technician at ASUS that knows how these fail.

21 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I would find it hard to specifically say why it causes issues with ones not the other, i can only speculate potentially why. Maybe one CPU causes it to have that issue due to w/e hardware defect is causing it, and the other ones arent in that specific spot of the memory chip. 

I have had my x99 MSI Gaming 9 ACK mobo just die out of no where, and it ended up being a bios chip failure and as i looked up if it was a bigger issue at the time, quite a lot of x99 Mobos had quite a few issues with bios chips just failing. Usually thats the first to go bad when having this type of issue. Other then that its going to have to have a full diag from a technician at ASUS that knows how these fail.

So my best option is probably to hunt down a new BIOS chip, huh?

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

So my best option is probably to hunt down a new BIOS chip, huh?

From what i can see thats a route you may have to take, its honestly not hard to do. Most any bios chip of the same size will work, it just needs to be flashed to that bios and then put on, but thats much easier said then done. There are a few kits that let you do that, but my giant hands trying to get that stuff on requires a lot of time and patience lol. 

The other problem is that its a potential issue, as the tools to properly diagnose that would be good to use to make sure you arent just wasting money. But most of those are in-house only and since X99 is coming up on being a decade old, they would have retired that for most end users besides their big business parters.

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

From what i can see thats a route you may have to take, its honestly not hard to do. Most any bios chip of the same size will work, it just needs to be flashed to that bios and then put on, but thats much easier said then done. There are a few kits that let you do that, but my giant hands trying to get that stuff on requires a lot of time and patience lol. 

The other problem is that its a potential issue, as the tools to properly diagnose that would be good to use to make sure you arent just wasting money. But most of those are in-house only and since X99 is coming up on being a decade old, they would have retired that for most end users besides their big business parters.

Gotcha. I think I might have spotted part of my problem: while inspecting the board just now, I found the sticker on the back denoting it as an X99 Deluxe/U3.1, which from what I can find is physically identical to the X99 Deluxe but is apparently different enough to not get BIOS version 4101, only going to 3701 on the Asus website.

I had thought this was just a standard gen1 X99 Deluxe, and flashed 4101 after checking that it functioned.

That may be my problem, I'm not familiar enough with Asus boards or specific BIOS details to know for sure, but I can definitely try picking up a replacement BIOS chip on Ebay and seeing if that solves my issue. I'll give that a try, might be a while before I'm able to report back with my findings though -- busy couple weeks coming up here, but I definitely will report back when I have something to report. Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it.

9 minutes ago, BIOS-iEngineer said:

Hello!

Check the origin of the CPU. It is probably from China and has a degraded crystal, bad cache, pin of CPU not clean....
The BIOS is not quite up-to-date 4101 on the ASUS site, I have an latest 4101 version - you'll need a programmer to update it.
Check your RAM settings, this CPU only runs memory at 2400MHz. Overclocking is not possible.

4101X99DLX.zip 8.09 MB · 0 downloads

The CPU shouldn't be my problem, since it works flawlessly in my other motherboard and even performed normally running Windows 10 for a little bit when I first got it(I even ran Cinebench R23 on it).

6 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Yep. Especially ASUS X99 boards 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting back to this one. Replacement BIOS chips came in today, I should be able to mess around with it a little bit tomorrow and Monday, and get back to y'all on if that was the problem.

Hopefully that's all it was, and I can deploy this board within the week, or I guess worst-case scenario is flip it for something better.

@Shimejii @GOTSpectrum

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Finally getting back to this one. Replacement BIOS chips came in today, I should be able to mess around with it a little bit tomorrow and Monday, and get back to y'all on if that was the problem.

Hopefully that's all it was, and I can deploy this board within the week, or I guess worst-case scenario is flip it for something better.

@Shimejii @GOTSpectrum

my rampage V has had 3 bios chips over the years 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

my rampage V has had 3 bios chips over the years 

I did at least have the foresight to buy 2 chips instead of just 1, so I'll have a spare on hand should the first one go out on me as well.

• 2 weeks later...

@Shimejii @GOTSpectrum been a really crazy week and a half, but I've finally gotten around to this.

New BIOS chip dropped right in and solved all my problems.

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

@Shimejii @GOTSpectrum been a really crazy week and a half, but I've finally gotten around to this.

Awesome, happy to hear you are back up and running 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Very good 😄 Glad it solved the issues.