Living room worthy Unraid NAS build

LittleBigTech

Hey there!

I wanted to show off my NAS build I built this summer. The goal was to have a multipurpose home server (mainly used as a NAS and photo backup server) that was still aesthetically pleasing enough to put in the living room (getting that SO approval). I also run other services on it, like a VPN, reverse proxy, dyanmic DNS and PLEX. I also used an internal USB header to regular USB cable I made myself, to hide the USB drive inside the case.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus H110i-Plus

CPU: intel i3-6100

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866

Power supply: Seasonic Focus SGX-650

Case: Jonsbo N1

Drives: 3x 8TB Ironwolf NAS drives + random SSDs I already had for caching

Money spent:

Motherboard + CPU + RAM : 113€

Case : 150€

Power supply : 140€

HDDs: 290€

I am open to suggestions since I think I definitely overspent on the PSU and maybe could have gotten a cheaper case that was still aesthetically pleasing.

For sure not disappointed with the performance and power consumption! It idles around 30W.

23-05-10 19-52-52 2480.jpg

23-05-10 19-53-11 2484.jpg

23-05-10 19-53-15 2485.jpg

23-05-10 19-53-31 2487.jpg

PSU, while guarded from UPS, can last 6-8 years. The case will make you spend so little time during upgrades and maintenance...

It's overspending?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 minutes ago, LittleBigTech said:

that was still aesthetically pleasing enough to put in the living room

Thank god you dont need to make it acoustically pleasing. That would be slightly harder 4

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryBella said:

Thank god you dont need to make it acoustically pleasing. That would be slightly harder 4

😂 I mean luckily it's pretty quiet, since the PSU fan almost never turns on and the other fans are audible but the background noise of the house drowns them out.

3 minutes ago, mMontana said:

PSU, while guarded from UPS, can last 6-8 years. The case will make you spend so little time during upgrades and maintenance...

It's overspending?

I guess not, just felt like it. I don't regret the purchase for sure because this PSU is very robust, and also I have it connected to a UPS.

Next build (not for you, but for someone else) will be a bit more budget conscius, starting with the PSU.

It's hard to have such a compact yet easy to operate case like the one you chose.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

• 1 month later...

This looks like a great set up. What kind of RAID set up did you choose? RAID 1? RAID 5? How does your cache set up work? Do your HDDs run continuously or do they power down when not in use?