PC not getting past MOBO logo after new SSD

AeroMagnus
Go to solution Solved by AeroMagnus,

ok apparently setting the nvme as raid did something and here it is!!! thanks yall (no idea what i did)

image.thumb.png.efd11be0a3f59f86581dcbb10cbb430e.png

Just got an M.2 NVME 2tb crucial ssd and now my pc wont go past the logo screen on startup

Do they need to be initialized? Do i need to install windows on it too? 

Ive tried it with and without the orignal 2.5in ssd connected (samsung860 evo or sum) 

Please help i just wanted it for storage but atp I´m Willing to install windows on it too just for it to work

TIA

Yes, it must be initialized and formatted just like any other drive.  If you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to install Windows, it will do all the work for you during the Windows installation process.

Take care and good luck.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Yes, it must be initialized and formatted just like any other drive.  If you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to install Windows, it will do all the work for you during the Windows installation process.

Take care and good luck.

The SSD isnt showing in bios 😞 

We need a bit more info on your system to properly help.

As I understand, you were booting from a 2.5 SSD and added a NVMe. Do you know that some m.2 slots share ressources with SATA ports ? It is possible that you need to move your 2.5 SSD to another SATA port in order to use both SSDs at the same time.

10 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

We need a bit more info on your system to properly help.

As I understand, you were booting from a 2.5 SSD and added a NVMe. Do you know that some m.2 slots share ressources with SATA ports ? It is possible that you need to move your 2.5 SSD to another SATA port in order to use both SSDs at the same time.

4 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

At the very least, knowing the model of motherboard might be helpful in troubleshooting.

mobo is asus b450m pro4 // ryzen2600

i put it in the slot that should disable a sata port and thats how it booted with the two of them, however i cant get past the mobo logo when its in the NVME slot, with or without the 2.5in SSD.

haven't found a case where its even detected in bios/ windows setup

TIA

5 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

mobo is asus b450m pro4 // ryzen2600

i put it in the slot that should disable a sata port and thats how it booted with the two of them, however i cant get past the mobo logo when its in the NVME slot, with or without the 2.5in SSD.

haven't found a case where its even detected in bios/ windows setup

TIA

What is the model of the Crucial SSD ? I've met many problematic Crucial P3 SSDs because of counterfeits or bad batches.

With only the NVMe installed, your computer should at least put an error message Incorrect Boot Drive or something similar. Your Crucial is probably defective at this point.

Think that's an Asrock board, not Asus.  That aside, you don't see a drive appear in the BIOS when it's installed?  Just checking, but have you looked under the Boot section of the BIOS to see if it appears in any slot in the boot order?

2 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

What is the model of the Crucial SSD ? I've met many problematic Crucial P3 SSDs because of counterfeits or bad batches.

With only the NVMe installed, your computer should at least put an error message Incorrect Boot Drive or something similar. Your Crucial is probably defective at this point.

Yeah its a p3….. fuck me 😕 should i return it then right… ? Tried it several times standalone on both slots so guess I’m SOL 

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Think that's an Asrock board, not Asus.  That aside, you don't see a drive appear in the BIOS when it's installed?  Just checking, but have you looked under the Boot section of the BIOS to see if it appears in any slot in the boot order?

Oop sorry yeah im stressed out.. nope don’t see it under any storage or boot menu

29 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

Yeah its a p3….. fuck me 😕 should i return it then right… ? Tried it several times standalone on both slots so guess I’m SOL 

Oop sorry yeah im stressed out.. nope don’t see it under any storage or boot menu

Yeah, sorry man, I think you need to get a different part.

11 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Yeah, sorry man, I think you need to get a different part.

Probably a bit late for this but, anyother brands/models you’d recommend? 

thanks for your time

16 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

Probably a bit late for this but, anyother brands/models you’d recommend? 

thanks for your time

I used to say you can't go wrong with Samsung SSDs, but Samsung proved me wrong on that with a couple of models.  I still stick with them as they're otherwise solid and their SSD management/update Magician app works well for me.  Linus has used Sabrent Rocket drives with success in his videos, but I don't know how reliable they are long-term.  Haven't heard any complaints about the Western Digital SSDs.  Maybe WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 or Samsung 970 Evo Plus?  Samsung had some screwups recently with the 970 but I bought one recently and they all come with the updated firmware now it seems...so unless you buy used or from a retailer that hasn't sold them in months, you'd get the new stock.  Firmware can be updated quick with the Magician app though.

One more question, is your storage set to AHCI or RAID? (Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> SATA Mode)  Should be on AHCI.  May or may not be pertinent.  Usually causes more issues on Intel systems from what I read.

7 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I used to say you can't go wrong with Samsung SSDs, but Samsung proved me wrong on that with a couple of models.  I still stick with them as they're otherwise solid and their SSD management/update Magician app works well for me.  Linus has used Sabrent Rocket drives with success in his videos, but I don't know how reliable they are long-term.  Haven't heard any complaints about the Western Digital SSDs.  Maybe WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 or Samsung 970 Evo Plus?  Samsung had some screwups recently with the 970 but I bought one recently and they all come with the updated firmware now it seems...so unless you buy used or from a retailer that hasn't sold them in months, you'd get the new stock.  Firmware can be updated quick with the Magician app though.

One more question, is your storage set to AHCI or RAID? (Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> SATA Mode)  Should be on AHCI.  May or may not be pertinent.  Usually causes more issues on Intel systems from what I read.

Thanks, I’ll take it into account when i get my refund and order a new one. Also tried that too since i followed quite a few troubleshooting guides, putting it into RAID made it bootloop but guess I’ll fiddle around more until i take it to the post office 

4 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

Depending on where you live, I got some Western Digital (WD 570) for the same price of the Crucial P3 but in working condition 🙂

Hey y’all so i fiddled around and fucked up my original ssd or something, its detected but when the bios hands it off into windows no display comes out💀 its a samsung860 i think

edit nvm im stupid hdmi was loose and apparently it matters

Edited by AeroMagnus

I got the drive detected while in raid mode, is there something that can be done from here?? 

IMG_3658.jpeg

ok apparently setting the nvme as raid did something and here it is!!! thanks yall (no idea what i did)

image.thumb.png.efd11be0a3f59f86581dcbb10cbb430e.png