Second monitor keeps freezing. Only the top part of it works.

m3e92

I have started having this issue today where one of my monitors keeps freezing. It seems like the top, lets say, 3% of it works but the remaining 97% of the monitor just freezes for 5 seconds, before unfreezing for about a second and then becoming frozen again. It's an MSI G241 that i've had for about 2 years, i've never dropped anything on it and the cable is fine too. I don't see a reason why it would suddenly break overnight. I also have an RX 6600 XT, but i don't think this is the issue as my second monitor works flawlessly. I have attached 2 pictures showing the fault. Any ideas?

monitor1.jpg

monitor2.jpg

Ive seen something similar before where it froze the bottom half of the screen and not sure if it will work for you but my friend reinstalled windows using a USB drive and it fixed it.

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

Use DDU to uninstall the driver and try reinstalling it. 

I don't know if your monitor has firmware.. mine does and had an issue showing left half of the screen centered in the middle of the screen after a windows update at 1440p 240hz HDR.. any frequenzies below that worked fine. until i updated monitor firmware... that was on a samsung 32inch odyssey.. 

10 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Use DDU to uninstall the driver and try reinstalling it. 

I don't know if your monitor has firmware.. mine does and had an issue showing left half of the screen centered in the middle of the screen after a windows update at 1440p 240hz HDR.. any frequenzies below that worked fine. until i updated monitor firmware... that was on a samsung 32inch odyssey.. 

That could be it. This started happening as soon as i updated my windows the other day

33 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Ive seen something similar before where it froze the bottom half of the screen and not sure if it will work for you but my friend reinstalled windows using a USB drive and it fixed it.

i'll try that if nothing else works

8 minutes ago, m3e92 said:

That could be it. This started happening as soon as i updated my windows the other day

if you hold down shift and click reboot you will boot into troubleshooting mode.. under advanced you should be able to uninstall last windows update.. try that first, i've seen updates that fubar's too.. and uninstalling and later just reapplying it fixes it. 

31 minutes ago, Robchil said:

if you hold down shift and click reboot you will boot into troubleshooting mode.. under advanced you should be able to uninstall last windows update.. try that first, i've seen updates that fubar's too.. and uninstalling and later just reapplying it fixes it. 

thanks a lot, this seems to have fixed the issue.