Best Upgrade Path

Hey Everyone

I have a really old Monitor, 1080p 60hz ~~ 120hz (marketing), an old 3d Asus VG278H. I bought it about 10 years ago and its still going strong, but i want an upgrade.

My current Graphics card is an Asus RTX2060 6GB OC, since i will be upgrading my monitor i think i should upgrade my graphics card too as it might struggle with newer monitors.

I haven't decided on a new monitor as of yet, but i will most likely go 1440p, 144hz, as I've read that's a good jump from 60hz.

The Graphics card i am thinking of is a 3080, its a nice jump from my 2060, or would it be worth my while going straight to the 40 series, like a 4070.

I am kind of budget conscience, i don't want to spend lots of money on a 4090, as i probably wont use it to its full potential.

I play games, currently playing Diablo 4, i will play Starfield when it comes out, and will probably get into Baldur's Gate at some point. 

I mainly use my computer for watching content, with the odd gaming, when a title comes out i like. I'm not competitive, so i don't need the bee's knees.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Current Spec

CPU: Ryzen R5 5600x

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B550-A Gaming

Ram: 16Gb 3200

Graphics: Asus RTX2060 6GB OC

16 minutes ago, Blido said:

Hey Everyone

I have a really old Monitor, 1080p 60hz ~~ 120hz (marketing), an old 3d Asus VG278H. I bought it about 10 years ago and its still going strong, but i want an upgrade.

My current Graphics card is an Asus RTX2060 6GB OC, since i will be upgrading my monitor i think i should upgrade my graphics card too as it might struggle with newer monitors.

I haven't decided on a new monitor as of yet, but i will most likely go 1440p, 144hz, as I've read that's a good jump from 60hz.

The Graphics card i am thinking of is a 3080, its a nice jump from my 2060, or would it be worth my while going straight to the 40 series, like a 4070.

I am kind of budget conscience, i don't want to spend lots of money on a 4090, as i probably wont use it to its full potential.

I play games, currently playing Diablo 4, i will play Starfield when it comes out, and will probably get into Baldur's Gate at some point. 

I mainly use my computer for watching content, with the odd gaming, when a title comes out i like. I'm not competitive, so i don't need the bee's knees.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Current Spec

CPU: Ryzen R5 5600x

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B550-A Gaming

Ram: 16Gb 3200

Graphics: Asus RTX2060 6GB OC

What country are you in? Whats the budget? If your in US a used 7900 XT would be a better option. You should be able to get one for $700, then I would sell the 2060 for $120 and with the rest of your money buy a 5800x3d.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Depends on GPU price, and speed, (also specifically 3080 is faster than 4070, not 4070ti though, but with 40 series, you are paying for small % increase in power, with a quite large sum of cash)

another thing is, you can always buy the monitor, see how your GPU handles it, and simply buy the GPU later if needed..

Edited by podkall
edit

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

3 hours ago, podkall said:

another thing is, you can always buy the monitor, see how your GPU handles it, and simply buy the GPU later if needed..

This would be the cheapest route, just see how it'll go. At worst you can just deal with rose dither until you are monetarily ready.

3 hours ago, Blido said:

or would it be worth my while going straight to the 40 series, like a 4070.

6800XT performs the same but cheaper and easier to find on the used market. But that depends on your current PSU wattage, 750-850W is needed. If a good 750-850W PSU with a 6800XT would be more expensive than a 4070 in its lonesome, and you already have 550-650W PSU, go for 4070 instead.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 hours ago, SorryBella said:

6800XT performs the same but cheaper and easier to find on the used market. But that depends on your current PSU wattage, 750-850W is needed. If a good 750-850W PSU with a 6800XT would be more expensive than a 4070 in its lonesome, and you already have 550-650W PSU, go for 4070 instead.

Can't a 6800 XT run of a 550w-650w psu? Especially if you undervolt it which every AMD card owner should do.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

On 8/23/2023 at 9:43 PM, PcBeExpensive said:

What country are you in? Whats the budget? If your in US a used 7900 XT would be a better option. You should be able to get one for $700, then I would sell the 2060 for $120 and with the rest of your money buy a 5800x3d.

I'm in Aus, budget i spose, i'd go so far as to $2500 for both GPU and Monitor, plus extras i'd like to buy, like additional storage as mine is getting full.

I didn't think of used, but its probs a cheaper route, but you'd run risks.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, podkall said:

Depends on GPU price, and speed, (also specifically 3080 is faster than 4070, not 4070ti though, but with 40 series, you are paying for small % increase in power, with a quite large sum of cash)

Yeh that was my initial thought, going the 40 series would be smaller increments of power for increased price.

Yeh the card has lasted quite well, so i can upgrade the monitor and see how it copes.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:18 AM, SorryBella said:

This would be the cheapest route, just see how it'll go. At worst you can just deal with rose dither until you are monetarily ready.

My PSU, which i forgot to add, is a 650W.

So what you are saying is since my PSU is low i'd be better at looking at upgrading to a 4070, that way i can keep my current psu without upgrading it, thus saving money, which could mean more money towards the monitor or other things i want in life.

36 minutes ago, Blido said:

I'm in Aus, budget i spose, i'd go so far as to $2500 for both GPU and Monitor, plus extras i'd like to buy, like additional storage as mine is getting full.

I didn't think of used, but its probs a cheaper route, but you'd run risks.

I don't knwo what risks, I recently bought used of ebay and my card is going just fine. For $2500 you can get a 7900 XT, a 1440p monitor and a 850w psu

My First PC

12 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I don't knwo what risks, I recently bought used of ebay and my card is going just fine. For $2500 you can get a 7900 XT, a 1440p monitor and a 850w psu

I just recently saw a jayztwocents video about the upcoming 7700xt, which has a good price point for performance, but I'll have to wait till embargo drops on sept 6th.

Ill look into the prices, were you referring to used all under that price or new?