permanently wipe files from hdd

katka

So I have 2 laptop HDD's that I used to have important files on them (from banking accounts, passwords to work related stuff etc) that I normally wiped using the FORMAT function in windows.

Now after we stopt working from home, I no longer need these HDD's, therefore I want to sell them. Their health is in great condition, no bad sectors or stuff like that BUT before I sell them I want to know if there's a good method to format them in order for the people I'm selling them to cant recover some of the files I had in there since I know there are several softwares that can do things like that.

Any advice? thanks.

tbh even with full format (not the quick one that just deletes paths), its still possible to recover the data, so i wouldn't recommend selling them, especially considering that you wont get much for them anyway, id just use them for backup if i were you

If your computer is not "that" new, https://dban.org/

Otherwise...

https://slashdot.org/software/p/DBAN/alternatives

A slashdot-cured list of alternatives (which contains also the buyer of ban)

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

back when i refurbished computers at work our procedure was a few passes of writing zero's, then a pass of randoms, and then another pass of zero's. we'd do more passes of randoms, but the system we wiped with slowed down significantly making pseudo-random numbers.

but really.. for a somewhat modern HDD a few rounds of writing garbage across the entire disk is enough to make it not feasible to recover any data.