Help me! Looking for a solution: small laptop workstation, cooling, workspace

Hey guys!

I would love to get your opinion on an issue I'm having regarding my new-temporary workstation for the next few months.

Since my current desk is extremely small and is surrounded by walls/closet/etc., I was thinking about using a laptop stand on the desk's left side where there is free space (a laptop stand of the kind that holds the laptop closed, attached image for comparison) of some sort for a few months, and I was wondering what is your opinion about those?

My main issues are:

1. Are those even good, or should I worry about them damaging the PC somehow by the way they hold the laptop?
  2. Is there an issue if it's a gaming laptop (Gigabyte G5 KF) which is also used for gaming sometimes, and that it would be closed at the time of gaming?
  3. any extra?

I have also attached my current setup, please be gentle - I am working with what I currently have at my temporary apartment until we'll move out 🙂 Would love other suggestions on how to save some space so that I could game, code, and study while writing on my tablet.

71foToRq2sL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d09de6f3a46fb61d571d379a072f5437.jpg

WhatsAppImage2023-08-14at01_43_09.thumb.jpeg.6daebe4de16c68025d906b98b22805fc.jpeg

Have a great day, and thank you!

Bad idea, especially with a gaming laptop.

22 minutes ago, NathanM9 said:

any extra?

Proper solution is staring at you:
image.png.7142e2881edcfe125216a193bd5ef3d0.png
Go up.
Instead of Master Chief holding a joystick you could have a laptop stand holding, well... a laptop there 😄.
As an added bonus you get an extra screen, sure it will be high but it can be useful for occasional glancing at it.

Since you will be moving -> desk mounted laptop holder, something like this (if the shelf allows it, check that... or make a cutout hah):
image.thumb.png.1d7aaaaaf7eabd1a0f20e380ec6861b0.png
(doesn't have to be exactly this one, pick something that fits your laptop and you can fold / get very close to the wall behind the desk)

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

I'm assuming you're not using a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (or that the monitor doesn't come with that)?

41 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

I don't see why not.  I see no issues when it comes to ventilation for the laptop as it'll actually have more if propped.  The only issue I forsee is the annoyance when you need to wake it up or boot it up (unless its power button is at the side).

This could be a potential solution

Screenshot_20230813_195353.thumb.png.a754af2b4186cd3ce580f0d1b6a41978.png
and you may even be able to put it at the top of the shelf + be convenient enough that it won't annoy you when you need to wake it up + you can still use the screen (if you want) + you may even be able to place it on your left side.  And it won't hurt your wallet.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

10 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I don't see why not.  I see no issues when it comes to ventilation for the laptop as it'll actually have more if propped. 

For sure better than this.

image.png.26a5d6d5c2f02defbd72283116eb5a88.png

But still, having it closed will end up in more heat and/or more fan noise.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Hi guys!

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestions and help, it is very much appreciated.

I have decided to lose the temporary DIY laptop stand I've assembled from old pieces of wood, and have ordered a mount to try and put on the top shelf, will be sure it all works well when it well actually arrive.

Thanks again! 🙂

*EDIT

On 8/14/2023 at 2:03 AM, Biohazard777 said:

Proper solution is staring at you:
image.png.7142e2881edcfe125216a193bd5ef3d0.png
Go up.
Instead of Master Chief holding a joystick you could have a laptop stand holding, well... a laptop there 😄.
As an added bonus you get an extra screen, sure it will be high but it can be useful for occasional glancing at it.

Since you will be moving -> desk mounted laptop holder, something like this (if the shelf allows it, check that... or make a cutout hah):
image.thumb.png.1d7aaaaaf7eabd1a0f20e380ec6861b0.png
(doesn't have to be exactly this one, pick something that fits your laptop and you can fold / get very close to the wall behind the desk)

On 8/14/2023 at 2:54 AM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I'm assuming you're not using a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (or that the monitor doesn't come with that)?

I don't see why not.  I see no issues when it comes to ventilation for the laptop as it'll actually have more if propped.  The only issue I forsee is the annoyance when you need to wake it up or boot it up (unless its power button is at the side).

This could be a potential solution

Screenshot_20230813_195353.thumb.png.a754af2b4186cd3ce580f0d1b6a41978.png
and you may even be able to put it at the top of the shelf + be convenient enough that it won't annoy you when you need to wake it up + you can still use the screen (if you want) + you may even be able to place it on your left side.  And it won't hurt your wallet.

Thanks a lot for the idea guys. Ordered a basic laptop stand, and drilled it into the shelf - holds perfectly.

image.thumb.jpeg.63ae9a5091aad6684fdd598a9d0bbb01.jpeg