Tips for an affordable, second hand laptop for (predominantly) gaming

s_k

I don't game enough for someone with a sizeable Steam library. Part of the reason is that my gaming PC is in my studio (it used to be my studio PC).
When I am done working there I just sit on the couch with my laptop, which is a Macbook, so that doesn't help for the gaming thing.
I was thinking of buying a gaming handheld, but then realised it makes perfect sense for me to buy a gaming laptop as the price is similar, and it's way more versatile, and I don't take it outside the house anyway.
I just don't have a way of making a nice gaming PC setup in my living room without it turning into a mancave (which it already sort of is with the audio rig, so that's enough).
My pc is a little older. It's a Ryzen 2700x, 32gb, gtx1660.
The laptop I'm looking for should be similarly capable. A little less is fine, but not much. Should easily play RDR, GTA5, Cyberpunk and other open world games. Medium settings full HD is enough.
I prefer a smaller laptop (13 or 14" is ideal but I can live with 15), must charge over USB C as that just saves me a ton of hassle with how my charging situation is setup, and preferably something that's not too hot and blowy as I am used to fanless by now and it's bliss. I am not too brand loyal but am generally a Dell Latitude kinda guy. So maybe an XPS or something Alienware? Or should I go asus/acer/razer?

Budget; 6-700 euros. Second hand, of course.

Tips?

Why not get a SteamDeck instead since you do your gaming on the couch? It's cheaper even if your other choice is a used gaming laptop.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

backing the "handheld in general" notion here (doesnt necessarily have to be steamdeck) because the combination of:

- second hand / affordable

- gaming

- usb-C charging

is gonna be tricky to combine.

4 hours ago, Xiee said:

Why not get a SteamDeck instead since you do your gaming on the couch? It's cheaper even if your other choice is a used gaming laptop.

Because I made very good use of Epic's weekly free games :D. 

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

backing the "handheld in general" notion here (doesnt necessarily have to be steamdeck) because the combination of:

- second hand / affordable

- gaming

- usb-C charging

is gonna be tricky to combine.

You'd say that with my PC having 4 year old midrange specs it shouldn't be thaaaaat hard?
Fwiw; It doesn't have to be 'a gaming laptop' as such, as long as it can run games. I'm fine with it looking office-y. Prefer it even. 
USB C charging is negotiable. It would just be practical as I charge all of my laptops and my phone from the same charger now :D. 

On 8/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, s_k said:

Because I made very good use of Epic's weekly free games :D. 

You can run games from other stores (launchers) on Steam Deck.

(Officially) refurbished Steam Decks is a thing too.

this I didn't know! So how does that work, with it running LInux? Can you 'just' install the Epic Games store on it?

Bought my friends old MSI p65 laptop. i7 8750H, GTX 1070 max q, 16gb ram.

it runs games just fine but it gets real hot. I would not recommend an older SLIM laptop, seems they didn't have the thermals figured out back then. even cleaned the fans from dust and reapplied thermal paste.

anything with 8th-9th gen intel i7 cpu and gtx 1070 or higher should fit your needs and not cost that much. got my msi p65 for 350$ but the battery had to be replaced so was cheaper.

47 minutes ago, BlazeHaze4ev said:

Bought my friends old MSI p65 laptop. i7 8750H, GTX 1070 max q, 16gb ram.

it runs games just fine but it gets real hot. I would not recommend an older SLIM laptop, seems they didn't have the thermals figured out back then. even cleaned the fans from dust and reapplied thermal paste.

anything with 8th-9th gen intel i7 cpu and gtx 1070 or higher should fit your needs and not cost that much. got my msi p65 for 350$ but the battery had to be replaced so was cheaper.

Great answer! Dead battery would not really be an issue at that price. Indeed looking for an 8th gen or newer because of Windows 11, of course. Not that I want to run it, but let's hope 12 is a little better ;). 

maybe I a missing an obvious constraint (my apple-foo is weak), but is streaming from your current rig to your mac not feasible?

2 hours ago, Ayrick said:

maybe I a missing an obvious constraint (my apple-foo is weak), but is streaming from your current rig to your mac not feasible?

I tried it but the lag is really not acceptable. It just takes the fun out of it. I did of course try that :). 

20 hours ago, s_k said:

this I didn't know! So how does that work, with it running LInux? Can you 'just' install the Epic Games store on it?

Don't forget to quote...

Yes, you go to the desktop mode to install your launcher, and depending on the way you set it all up, when you are back to Steam 'mode':

- the game you installed looks just like any other title in your Steam Library, and you can probably run it without any extra steps

and/or

- the launcher (Epic) appears in your library. You have to start it and run the game from within it, without exiting to the Desktop.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:23 AM, rikitikitavi said:

Don't forget to quote...

Yes, you go to the desktop mode to install your launcher, and depending on the way you set it all up, when you are back to Steam 'mode':

- the game you installed looks just like any other title in your Steam Library, and you can probably run it without any extra steps

and/or

- the launcher (Epic) appears in your library. You have to start it and run the game from within it, without exiting to the Desktop.

I have a massive fight with the quoting system here and have given up on it by now. Sorry :D. Single quote works fine, but multiquote and I are just not compatible.
I'm not active enough to remember how it works and need to ask every time. 
"Desktop mode". But that's LInux based, right? Does that just work these days, Epic Games Store on Linux? Or even GOG x86 games?

On 8/23/2023 at 4:15 PM, s_k said:

I have a massive fight with the quoting system here and have given up on it by now. Sorry :D. Single quote works fine, but multiquote and I are just not compatible.
I'm not active enough to remember how it works and need to ask every time. 
"Desktop mode". But that's LInux based, right? Does that just work these days, Epic Games Store on Linux? Or even GOG x86 games?

'It just works' with some extra steps. Youtube 'steam deck epic games/gog install' and click on anything recent. It will probably tell you to download a 'middle man' app that will help you install the launcher and show you everything step-by-step.

Check how your games run on steam deck before purchasing though, there is always a chance of either incompatibility or unacceptable performance.

On 8/26/2023 at 5:40 AM, rikitikitavi said:

'It just works' with some extra steps. Youtube 'steam deck epic games/gog install' and click on anything recent. It will probably tell you to download a 'middle man' app that will help you install the launcher and show you everything step-by-step.

Check how your games run on steam deck before purchasing though, there is always a chance of either incompatibility or unacceptable performance.

Right. That's something to look into.
Also looking into maybe slightly higher budget gaming laptops. 
Just as a reference; What would you (or anyone) say are the minimum specs to run cyberpunk smoothly at 1080p? I don't need 120fps, 60 would be absolutely fine.
Have been looking at some XPS15/Legion options. 

Well folks, thanks for the suggestions. Ended up going for what appears to be everyone's Favourite; The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14. 2021 model, at around 800 dollars.
Other than it not sleeping (common issue with this one) and me using hibernation now, it's absolutely rock solid. I'm not used to hearing fans anymore but nothing a headset can't solve. Runs like a dream, that machine! 
Next issue; Someone hacked my Rockstar account... And adding a new social club account to Steam, not so simple.