Microsoft Basic Diaplay Adapter error code 31 in DxDiag

Secroza

Hello LTT community,

I am extremely frustrated on this current PC build I'm working on. Currently I feel like I have exhausted all options in order to solve this issue. The issue I'm running into pertains to certain games (BF2042 and Squad) crashing with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error which occurs on startup or while in menus. After days of  trying to figure this out I have some new conclusions that maybe you guys can help me with. I ran a tool know as DxDiag in order to diagnose possible issues. I received this error on my main display: "There is a problem with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 31'". After searching the internet I found myself in device manager and noticed that this issue is appearing in device manager. Keep note that a bunch of other games are running normal its just a few select titles.

image.png.c3a09921a6ac28bf5602feee66527d35.png

image.png.3c6dbd809d807afad0f9dfeb2f766b2b.png

Disabling this driver still leads to the same exact issues as I mentioned above I also tried uninstalling it and restarting my PC and I still have this error. I also have clean installed NVIDIA drivers 3 times, Windows twice, turned off EXPO profiles and have tested each ram stick. I also have verified game files etc to no avail. Listed are my PC Specs below:

CPU: RYZEN 7 &800x3D

GPU: MSI VENTUS 4080 OC

PSU: ASUS TUF 1000W GOLD

MB: MSI B650 Tomahawk wifi

RAM: G.Skill Flare 64GB 6000mhz

SSD: NVME Samsung 2TB

47 minutes ago, Secroza said:

Hello LTT community,

I am extremely frustrated on this current PC build I'm working on. Currently I feel like I have exhausted all options in order to solve this issue. The issue I'm running into pertains to certain games (BF2042 and Squad) crashing with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error which occurs on startup or while in menus. After days of  trying to figure this out I have some new conclusions that maybe you guys can help me with. I ran a tool know as DxDiag in order to diagnose possible issues. I received this error on my main display: "There is a problem with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 31'". After searching the internet I found myself in device manager and noticed that this issue is appearing in device manager. Keep note that a bunch of other games are running normal its just a few select titles.

Disabling this driver still leads to the same exact issues as I mentioned above I also tried uninstalling it and restarting my PC and I still have this error. I also have clean installed NVIDIA drivers 3 times, Windows twice, turned off EXPO profiles and have tested each ram stick. I also have verified game files etc to no avail. Listed are my PC Specs below:

Expo profiles does not involve your issue.

Have you used windows update?

Have you contacted Nvidia about the driver issue?

Have you tried older video drivers?

23 minutes ago, silencer12 said:

Expo profiles does not involve your issue.

Have you used windows update?

Have you contacted Nvidia about the driver issue?

Have you tried older video drivers?

Yes I have used windows update multiple times, that doesn't change anything, I have not contacted NVIDIA I didn't know I could for tech issues how would I do that? Im on a brand new pc so there arent any older video drivers to use?

1 hour ago, Secroza said:

Yes I have used windows update multiple times, that doesn't change anything, I have not contacted NVIDIA I didn't know I could for tech issues how would I do that? Im on a brand new pc so there arent any older video drivers to use?

Nvidia driver archive: https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

7 hours ago, Secroza said:

Hello LTT community,

Cause:

Ah, you didn't install any of the motherboard drivers for your motherboard... that is the AMD integrated GPU on the processor that is not working correctly.  It can't work correctly because it sure can't run on Nvidia drivers lol.

How To Fix:

1. Go to your motherboard's website (click the Driver tab) and start downloading your brains out. (You probably are missing most of the drivers on that page)
    • If you're lazy, you can install MSI Dragon Center first and have it update most things for you.
    • It will probably work, but it's definitely kinda heavy on resources and stuff.
  2. While you're at it, I'd strongly recommend updating the UEFI.
  3. Then hit AMD's website for the latest Chipset Drivers

Nice to Know:

Btw, Windows Update probably could fix this, but only if you enable this option here.  There can be downsides because you're giving up some control of what drivers you install (as Windows will want to update and install everything, even if they might be older drivers etc.)

image.thumb.png.6d234fb4b617b580d45b5c5eafd45c78.png

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!