Borescopes

tinpanalley

Trying to pick one of these up for DIY projects. Anyone have any knowledge of whether the WiFi models that display on your phone or tablet are better than the models that come with a screen of their own? 1080p screens are pretty much good quality now regardless of who makes them so I can see the advantage of the ones that come with their own screen and not messing with some app on your phone that could disappear one day or stop being developed. But, the app that can be downloaded to your tablet or phone and connected via its own WiFi network means you can use whatever size screen you want.
Is either one technically better optically or should I just be looking at display specs and features?

I have one of the DEPSTECH 3.9mm Super Slim borescopes for roughly $32.   https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Automotive-Inspection-Waterproof-Tablet-4-92FT/dp/B09Y8ZJN8P?th=1

It's wifi and 1920x1080 or 1600x1200

Their software is bare bones but functional, there is a noticeable lag between when you move the lens tip and when the image adjusts on your phone.  I have never tried it with a direct connection to a pc.  Has a fairly short range of focus, won't go shorter than about 1inch from your subject or further than about 3-4 inches.  Here is a still shot I took of a USB-C connector from about 2 inches away using only the built in lights just for easy comparisons sake. It's not great quality but it is passable for taking a quick look inside things vs taking them apart.

20230805205018695.jpg

14 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

The main issue I've found is that the software for a lot of these never gets updated, so after a couple of years it's a brick.

I've gone with this Depstech with its own screen. Primarily because by not opting for a dual camera option with a side camera, this one is thinner by 2mm but also because of the ap issue that scares me a bit. Already the app dev being some nondescript chineses company means at some point it will stop being developed and supported so it's just begging to be left behind the moment the next Android version comes out and they fail to pay to be certify their software and you're left with a device that can't do anything on its own. I feel like well taken care of, the tech of the individual screen is more likely to last longer well taken care of.