Former adware exec/Israeli surveillance agent now manages ExpressVPN

Protusman1

PCMag story looks at the layoffs at ExpressVPN's parent, Kape Technologies, and how it'll affect quality. Story also mentions this interesting point about Koby Menachemi, a guy who used to work at Israel's Unit 8200 before running Crossrider, which was known for spreading adware:

Quotes

Meanwhile, an executive from the company’s notorious past, former Crossrider CEO Koby Menachemi, has returned in a management role.... 

After the privatization, Kape named Koby Menachemi as chief operating officer, despite his infamous reputation running Crossrider, according to sources. Back in 2012, Sagi acquired Crossrider, which Menachemi ran as CEO until 2016. During that time, Crossrider was accused of helping clients spread adware. The company then renamed itself Kape to pivot away from its adware reputation and focus on cybersecurity, which eventually led to the acquisition of ExpressVPN.  

“We had to get out from under that history when we were acquired and then they brought him back,” a source tells PCMag, who described the management shake up as a “coup” that seemed to focus on laying off staff at ExpressVPN but not CyberGhost or PIA. 

Sources

https://www.pcmag.com/news/inside-the-expressvpn-layoffs-taking-a-page-out-of-elon-musks-playbook

I don't really see this as a problem. I don't think one's former job has to relate to a current one, unless he was literally convicted of identity theft or something like that. And of course there are cases of conflicts of interest from one industry to the next, but I don't necessarily feel those apply here.

If you really want to connect the two sides, you could also then compare it to hiring a former hacker as a security consultant. But again, I don't really find the two jobs related and don't think it's really necessary to make a leap in either direction, positive or negative. 

Pretty much all the mainstream VPNs have various privacy issues like Proton, Express and PIA.

You are always better off setting up your own server.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 8/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, Holmes108 said:

I don't really see this as a problem. I don't think one's former job has to relate to a current one, unless he was literally convicted of identity theft or something like that. And of course there are cases of conflicts of interest from one industry to the next, but I don't necessarily feel those apply here.

If you really want to connect the two sides, you could also then compare it to hiring a former hacker as a security consultant. But again, I don't really find the two jobs related and don't think it's really necessary to make a leap in either direction, positive or negative. 

It can also be seen as a plus. Someone from surveillance background knows how to best resist it or what are the privacy/security issues that need to be addressed to minimize it

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds correct to me without even reading the article. Google the talpiot program. It's essentially a military/intelligence program that trains their smartest students as spies and gives them money for tech start ups. They control most of US critical infrastructure security.

A little disturbing. Might be the last year I use ExpressVPN. Was thinking about setting up my own server anyways.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:35 AM, williamcll said:

Pretty much all the mainstream VPNs have various privacy issues like Proton, Express and PIA.

You are always better off setting up your own server.

It's not truly private if you own the server either - that server is tied to your billing information and the IP is likely static, which means it can be traced to you. Not to mention you're tied geographically to wherever the server is physically hosted. Then if you self host you have to maintain it and ensure it is configured properly in the first place, and it's likely to cost just as much if not more to host on a cloud instance somewhere. There's not much of an upside for most consumers.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:44 AM, Holmes108 said:

Once a government asset, always a government asset.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)