High Temps Custom Loop

Hi,

I just built my first full custom loop and am getting very high temps. It’s an SFF build so I expected temps to be higher than a regular loop, but I am getting 90C on my GPU when running heaven (60 on the CPU) with the pump and fans on full. The water temperature is about 40C. Is my pump just not strong enough? I saw Optimum Tech use a smaller pump in a faster system with a full loop so I thought it would be fine.

I tried running it upside down etc to let any bubbles go into the radiator and not the blocks but it didn’t change.

My specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: RTX 3070 TUF

CPU block/pump: Alphacool Eisbar LT solo

GPU block: EK Quantum Vector

I am using EK coolant with a 240 Alphacool rad.

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

The 240 rad is for the whole system CPU+GPU ? 

Too small to cool the 300W power needed imo, I had both 280+360 to cool 400W (5900X + 3080), that's like 3 times more surface and airflow and temps were good...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Check if the waterblock on the 3070 makes contact with the GPU die. Could be that you have used a slightly too thick thermalpad somewhere.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

26 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

The 240 rad is for the whole system CPU+GPU ? 

Too small to cool the 300W power needed imo, I had both 280+360 to cool 400W (5900X + 3080), that's like 3 times more surface and airflow and temps were good...

Might need to invest in a bigger case then 😭

Thank you 🙂

20 minutes ago, Alinz said:

Check if the waterblock on the 3070 makes contact with the GPU die. Could be that you have used a slightly too thick thermalpad somewhere.

I’ll check this, but I’m also getting almost 100C on the CPU on start up so there’s definitely something else (possibly as well)

Yeah, 240mm for that kind of load is optimistic at best. You could maybe try put some Noctua 3000rpm fans on it if you don't mind the added noise. But you're kind of pushing shit uphill trying to cool all that with a 240mm rad.

Maybe also look at running an undervolt on the CPU/GPU and see if that helps?

Why not just leave the stock cooler on the gpu? Temps wont be trash on the gpu and the cpu will be cooled pretty well when there isnt a crapton of extra gou heat in the loop

8 minutes ago, NeverNotExhausted said:

Yeah, 240mm for that kind of load is optimistic at best. You could maybe try put some Noctua 3000rpm fans on it if you don't mind the added noise. But you're kind of pushing shit uphill trying to cool all that with a 240mm rad.

Maybe also look at running an undervolt on the CPU/GPU and see if that helps?

Already got Noctuas but will try an undervolt. Thanks 🙂

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Why not just leave the stock cooler on the gpu? Temps wont be trash on the gpu and the cpu will be cooled pretty well when there isnt a crapton of extra gou heat in the loop

That’s what I had before. I did it purely for the looks to be honest haha

41 minutes ago, TomH said:

Might need to invest in a bigger case then 😭

Thank you 🙂

Or only keep the CPU on watercooling and put the GPU back to aircooling 

This will make the rad good enough for the task and SFF cases are usually mesh allowing the GPU to breathe 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Update: I just double checked and the pump has died on the LT Solo which might explain a lot of the issue.

Unfortunately it’s JUST out of warranty. Anyone know if Alphacool happen to be lenient?