Buying a new laptop, Macbook Pro 14 on a budget

Hello, I am planning to get a new laptop for web development work. I’ve been a Windows laptop user for all my life but I want to dip my foot into Apple laptop and see what’s up. I’ve seen reviews and just the battery life alone intrigues me.

I have a budget around $1800-$1950(USD). Here’s some context, where I am situated these are some of the options that I am wanting to get. These are all brand new prices

Macbook Pro 14” M1 Pro base model = 1750$

Macbook Pro 14” M1 Pro (10c-16c, 1TB SSD, 16gb RAM) = 1820$

Macbook Pro 14” M2 Pro base model = 1920$

Personally I would love to get the upgraded M1 Pro with 1TB of storage. The SSD of both base and updated model is faster than the M2 by quite a lot and with the bigger capacity I can use the device for longer without having to store data outside via external means.

However, I am not sure how that battery would hold up even though it is brand new from 2021. Is the battery degrade overtime inside the sealed box? I am curious to know how other people’s 2021 Macbook Pro 14” are holding up, especially the battery.

What do you think of those 3 options? Which one should I get?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

3 minutes ago, udyrisop said:

Hello, I am planning to get a new laptop for web development work. I’ve been a Windows laptop user for all my life but I want to dip my foot into Apple laptop and see what’s up. I’ve seen reviews and just the battery life alone intrigues me.

I have a budget around $1800-$1950(USD). Here’s some context, where I am situated these are some of the options that I wanting to get. These are all brand new prices

Macbook Pro 14” M1 Pro base model = 1750$

Macbook Pro 14” M1 Pro (10c-16c, 1TB SSD, 16gb RAM) = 1820$

Macbook Pro 14” M2 Pro base model = 1920$

Personally I would love to get the upgraded M1 Pro with 1TB of storage. The SSD of both base and updated model is faster than the M2 by quite a lot and with the bigger capacity I can use the device for longer without having to store data outside via external means.

However, I am not sure how that battery would hold up even though it is brand new from 2021. Is the battery degrade overtime inside the sealed box? I am curious to know how other people’s 2021 Macbook Pro 14” are holding up, especially the battery.

What do you think of those 3 options? Which one should I get?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

If you need the 1tb of storage I would go for that one. And no the battery won't degrade over time if it hasn't been used (or it hasn't been used in a long time)

I would get the upgraded m1 pro

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

5 minutes ago, udyrisop said:

Should be fine. You'd have to check the Serial # through one of the free services online to see how long it's actually been in the box. I use a 2020 M1 MacBook Air, it was manufactured January this year (2023). The year in the name is just when the model was introduced. 

As @filpo said, get the one with upgraded storage if you're going to make use of that. IIRC the difference between M1 and M2 is not very big, so I doubt you'll miss the slightly better performance. 

Whichever one you go for, do be sure to keep backups unless you keep your work files in dropbox or some other off-device service (or even a NAS at home). The drives in these are soldered so if they or any other part of the logic board fails, your data is gone (barring very niche recovery services which I believe are quite expensive). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, udyrisop said:

I am curious to know how other people’s 2021 Macbook Pro 14” are holding up, especially the battery.

Base model 2021 Pro 14" here, the battery is still fine on mine. I'm easily getting more than a day out of it, if I don't use it that much I've gotten a week. Still at 96% maximum capacity as reported by software. 

As for which one to get, out of those three I'd probably get the upgraded M1. 500GB is usable (that is the config I'm on with mine), but if you actually need the upgraded horsepower of the M1 Pro compared to getting an M2 Air you probably will use the extra storage as well. Only reason mine is the 500GB model is I bought it used for a great price where I was willing to put the money into getting an external SSD for all my projects. 

24 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Whichever one you go for, do be sure to keep backups unless you keep your work files in dropbox or some other off-device service (or even a NAS at home). The drives in these are soldered so if they or any other part of the logic board fails, your data is gone (barring very niche recovery services which I believe are quite expensive). 

^^

Time Machine is super easy to setup, you might as well use it so you're not stranded if your device ends up kaput.