Need help finding new router for FIOS 1gb (recommendations)

"I am currently experiencing persistent issues with my Netgear R7000 router. To address these problems, I am looking for a new router that falls within a budget of around $250. The ideal router should support a large number of devices, including smart home devices like Amazon's Alexa and smart lights, as well as handle streaming activities seamlessly. My internet connection is provided by Verizon Fios with 1gb speed, and I use the Verizon CR1000A modem. On average, I have anywhere between 20 to 40 devices connected to the network, depending on whether I have guests over or not.

My current Netgear R7000 is configured as an access point with Dynamic DNS turned off to allow the modem to assign IP addresses. However, despite trying various settings, the internet keeps cutting out on this router. Interestingly, my desktop, which is directly connected to the Verizon Router/Modem combo, experiences no such issues. Given the common issues associated with the Netgear R7000, I have decided to upgrade to a more suitable router. Any recommendations for a reliable router that meets my requirements would be greatly appreciated."

That Verizon CR1000A isn't really a modem in FiOS setups, its just a router. (ONT to router) I used that for over a year and it was fantastic handling Gigabit speeds to my devices and wifi, I'm not sure why you don't just use it as the router if it will serve your needs? If only the Netgear you have daisy chained from the CR1000A is the problem, simply remove it and use the Wifi on the verizon router. 

Unless there are some additional features you find you need that it doesn't satisfy. 

tl;dr, what's wrong with the Verizon router you already have? 10GbE WAN and LAN ports, 6E wifi, pretty fast processor. 

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That Verizon CR1000A isn't really a modem in FiOS setups, its just a router. (ONT to router) I used that for over a year and it was fantastic handling Gigabit speeds to my devices and wifi, I'm not sure why you don't just use it as the router if it will serve your needs? If only the Netgear you have daisy chained from the CR1000A is the problem, simply remove it and use the Wifi on the verizon router. 

Unless there are some additional features you find you need that it doesn't satisfy. 

The primary concern I had with the CR1000A was its limited range. Unfortunately, if I'm more than 15ft away from it, I can only achieve a maximum download speed of 10 Mbps and an upload speed of 1.5 Mbps. Nevertheless, I plan to experiment by relocating the router to see if I can improve the speeds throughout my entire house. Your advice is appreciated, thank you!

1 minute ago, grant1556 said:

The primary concern I had with the CR1000A was its limited range. Unfortunately, if I'm more than 15ft away from it, I can only achieve a maximum download speed of 10 Mbps and an upload speed of 1.5 Mbps. Nevertheless, I plan to experiment by relocating the router to see if I can improve the speeds throughout my entire house. Your advice is appreciated, thank you!

Wifi is highly variable due to environment but that seems quite abnormal. I was pretty happy with the wifi performance at the time, saw at least 400-600Mb/s over 15 feet and between walls. Huge YMMV situation though, of course. 

11 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Wifi is highly variable due to environment but that seems quite abnormal. I was pretty happy with the wifi performance at the time, saw at least 400-600Mb/s over 15 feet and between walls. Huge YMMV situation though, of course. 

Yes, when I am in close proximity to the router, my speeds are consistent and reflect the same results.

22 hours ago, grant1556 said:

Yes, when I am in close proximity to the router, my speeds are consistent and reflect the same results.

Seems like what you may really need is just a second WiFi Access Point further away, ideally physically wired to the main router.  That is assuming you don't find a more optimal place for the main router, but if the walls are bad for WiFi penetration it may be your only option.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7