Computer crashes before getting into windows

Synthetic-Pulse

update - event viewer says there have been multiple critical level issues, the source, Kernal-Power, event ID 41 task category, 63.

So recently, my computer started crashing as soon as it started to get into windows. I can get into the bios every time without issue. To get into windows I have to restart the computer multiple times and eventually, it might let me in. I am using windows 10.

I have tried many things from resetting the bios, making sure everything is updated from the bios to all of the drivers, and updated windows.

I have made sure all cables are full seated, ram is seated all the way, GPU is socketed all the way, I removed the cpu cooler and re-pasted and made sure was properly mounted.

I have even completely wiped the drive and reinstalled windows and the issue still persists.

Motherboard - MSI Tomahawk X670E

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3D

Ram - 64gb DDR5 Corsair 

GPU - Asus TUF 4090

NVME - Corsair MP 600 Pro

PSU - Seasonic Vertex 1200

IMG_3424.jpeg

Hi there,
I have had the same/ similar problem for the past 4 months. Sadly have found no software fix for this yet. I already switched to another Mainboard and am currently in the process of RMA'ing my CPU.

However what I'd do first is check the error code in the windows event Manager.
My error is ID 41 power-kernel which could be caused by any of my components.

also if you have access to another working pc I would try to verify all the parts you can in the working machine.

I hope this helped a bit and that you'll be able to fix it in under 4 months 😅.
Good Luck!

When it crashes, is it a BSOD you get or just straight to a black screen?

My gut feeling is telling me this is either a PSU or SSD issue.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

When it crashes, is it a BSOD you get or just straight to a black screen?

My gut feeling is telling me this is either a PSU or SSD issue.

There is no blue screen, the computer screen just turns black, most the time the computer will restart itself, and others the screen will just remain black until I manually restart it.

10 minutes ago, Synthetic-Pulse said:

There is no blue screen, the computer screen just turns black, most the time the computer will restart itself, and others the screen will just remain black until I manually restart it.

Might be worth trying a few things here.

Try booting into windows with safe mode enabled , This will stop weird driver issues from happening.

You could then do a bios reset to default incase there's something in there that's causing issues (unstable ram settings etc)

Do not re-enable expo , Am5 and especially the 7800X3D are notoriously hard to get running at high ram speeds.

If that doesn't work try resetting with the jumpers.

On mine that's done by using a piece of metal to jump 2 pins , Your mobo will have documentation online with regards to which pins , it might even have a button if it's a fancy one.

Its also worth trying to plug your monitor into the motherboard and see if it i lets you in windows then to rule out a GPU issue. , Handy since the 7800X3D has onboard graphics.

I would also unplug all but 1 ram stick and see if that works , If it doesn't move it to another slot.

There might be an issue with hardware but we need to atleast work out what hardware to begin with.

My instinct tells me it's a GPU issue but honestly who knows.

Try these first and see what the results are.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

2 hours ago, Synthetic-Pulse said:

Did you check for dump files? If the GPU crashes the screen can be black while it's bluescreening. C:\Windows\Minidump

14 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Did you check for dump files? If the GPU crashes the screen can be black while it's bluescreening. C:\Windows\Minidump

His cpu has onboard graphics , If he can't get into windows then unless he has another pc he's not going to be able to read the minidump files.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Try taking one of the RAM sticks out of the PC and boot it up. If the same happens, shut it down and swap the sticks around. Then try again. 

Also when it crashes do you still get the Caps Lock light on your keyboard when pressing Caps Lock?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you have Expo Enabled for your memory? If so disable it.

There are some windows OS issues with EXPO and memory. 

It looks like I’m getting some sort of critical event in the event viewer it says the source is Kernel-Power event ID is 41 task category is 63

IMG_3424.jpeg