$1,200 TV for movies/shows (Hisense 65U78KM)

I am in Canada, so everything in CAD. I am looking to purchase my first "real" TV, have just had really small old ones in the past that I got for free. The viewing distance calls for a 65" TV. It is in the living room, so not a completely light-controlled environment. The TV will 99% of the time be used for watching/streaming movies, shows, and some live sports. There may be the occasional gaming done on it, but I don't want to buy for that use case. I am looking for longevity (no burn-in), and given the relative brightness of the room and my budget, I am thinking of going for a mini-LED rather than an OLED. I don't want to spend more than $1,200, and if there is something just as good for less obviously I would be interested in it :).

I have found this Hisense that looks to be good: (65U78KM) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C2F56HDS?th=1&language=en_CA

Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Not an expert on the subject at all, but I purchased the U8H (65") here in the States last October as a birthday gift to myself and my wife and I could not be happier with it.  The U8K is about to come out and the review I saw from DigitalTrends seemed to have very good things to say about it as well.

Caveat is that we've yet to watch anything in the 120hz range.  We mostly watch content through the Google interface, and we have an XBox Series S, but hope to update to a Series X at some point.  But the color levels of the mini-LED and its brightness is quite stunning.

50 minutes ago, captaintemerity said:

Caveat is that we've yet to watch anything in the 120hz range.

FYI, 120Hz only refers to the refresh rate.

Nearly all content (TV/film) you watch will be either shot or produced in 24fps or 30fps. 120Hz is helpful with regards to screen juttering because 24 and 30 are factors of 120. I suppose there are some YouTubers who upload in 60fps, but that would still appear identical on a regular 60Hz TV panel.

Basically only video games and smartphone/computer interfaces benefit from 120Hz refresh rate because they're among the only content that exceeds 60fps.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Nearly all content (TV/film) you watch will be either shot or produced in 24fps or 30fps. 120Hz is helpful with regards to screen juttering because 24 and 30 are factors of 120. I suppose there are some YouTubers who upload in 60fps, but that would still appear identical on a regular 60Hz TV panel.

Basically only video games and smartphone/computer interfaces benefit from 120Hz refresh rate because they're among the only content that exceeds 60fps.

Yep, I'm aware, but I appreciate the explanation just the same.  I know that the newer TVs are being heavily sought after for video game content, and that's why I wanted to clarify that we haven't tried that aspect yet.

I do find it a bit frustrating that there are only two of the 4 HDMI ports that are version 2.1, and that one of them is the eARC connection (which we use for our soundbar). 

Either way, thank you for the comprehensive info!

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Good to know. Like I said most everything we consume will not be games, so good to know that a higher refresh rate is not as important as on my computer monitor.