Good Multipoint earbuds or headphones for work and play

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

The Jabra 75t earbuds are what I use at work. I have them linked to my desktop and my cell phone. You can't listen to both devices at the same time, but they are permanently paired to both (granted I have bluetooth enabled on both devices). That's the simplest answer I have for you, and in the event I want to force audio from one device or another, I just disable the bluetooth from the device I don't want audio coming through. No need to pair/repair aside from the first time.

As an added benefit, the Jabra 75t have active noise cancellation, and a noise passthrough mode. There's also an app that you can download to tweak the EQ of the earbuds to suit your listening preferences. (out of the box, they are a bit heavy on the bass but I don't mind that for most EDM, but prefer to lower the bass response when listening to death metal for example)

If you want the ability to listen from multiple devices at a time, you will want a physical audio mixer. (You can do this via software but it gets complicated, I prefer to have a physical mixer personally) The mixer that best suited my needs was the Mackie ProFX12v3. Depending on how many inputs you want, you could probably get away with a smaller variant with less inputs compared to the 12input I just listed.

I work at both the the office and at home occasionally depending on the need. I have found that using my beats for teams meetings works very well on my Dell, and the same can be said for my Iphone. However I am finding I would like to find something that could connect to two sources at once. At home it can get a bit noisy so I use my earbuds to use my phone/Dell laptop as needed. A lot of times I will have music/video/podcasts going on my computer too. I would love to have something that could switch easily between them when my phone rings. I have looked up couple of Multipoint capable devises and would like to here your experience with them if you have any.

Thank you.                           

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

Multiple input's is a common question here, one that I typically avoid because it's beyond my personal experience.  However I would imagine that input mixing needs to be done through something external.  That is unless you are talking about switching devices with a tap to go from one to another.  Again this is out of my personal experience so that's going to come down to who ever does the software and, in that case, the bigger the name the better.

I can just give food for thought.

Have you considered a headphone instead of ear buds?  If nothing else this will open up your pool of potential solutions.

What about some avenue to route your phone calls through your computer?  I don't know your workflow, but this would put the mixing/switching into one device which would make it far easier to find a software solution, leaving only the remote switching an issue.  That is if you're away from your device, if you're in front of it the switching will be easy as a mouse click theoretically.

I do know that BT is a picky SOB and multiple devices may have just recently been introduced with a new standard, but from what little I heard that's multiple output rather than input.  Multiple inputs would be awesome from a tech standpoint.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

The Jabra 75t earbuds are what I use at work. I have them linked to my desktop and my cell phone. You can't listen to both devices at the same time, but they are permanently paired to both (granted I have bluetooth enabled on both devices). That's the simplest answer I have for you, and in the event I want to force audio from one device or another, I just disable the bluetooth from the device I don't want audio coming through. No need to pair/repair aside from the first time.

As an added benefit, the Jabra 75t have active noise cancellation, and a noise passthrough mode. There's also an app that you can download to tweak the EQ of the earbuds to suit your listening preferences. (out of the box, they are a bit heavy on the bass but I don't mind that for most EDM, but prefer to lower the bass response when listening to death metal for example)

If you want the ability to listen from multiple devices at a time, you will want a physical audio mixer. (You can do this via software but it gets complicated, I prefer to have a physical mixer personally) The mixer that best suited my needs was the Mackie ProFX12v3. Depending on how many inputs you want, you could probably get away with a smaller variant with less inputs compared to the 12input I just listed.

Yeah I simply want something so I can switch quickly from one source to the other. So I can be listening to youtube on my pc then a call comes in and I can quickly switch to just the phone. 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

Also my phone is an Iphone 12 while I use a Dell laptop for work. I was looking at the AirPods, however I was unsure of just how well they would work on the PC for multipoint.

1 minute ago, lonestar31 said:

Also my phone is an Iphone 12 while I use a Dell laptop for work. I was looking at the AirPods, however I was unsure of just how well they would work on the PC for multipoint.

I switch between android and apple phones frequently. Currently I'm using an iphone 12 as well and a Windows PC at work. It connects fine to both devices.

4 hours ago, NinJake said:

I switch between android and apple phones frequently. Currently I'm using an iphone 12 as well and a Windows PC at work. It connects fine to both devices.

Ended up buying some Jabra Elite 4s as they are on sale at BB for $80 right now! Thanks for the help and I will report how they work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report the Elite 4s are working wonderfully! They jump back and forth from the laptop and iphone just the way I wanted them too. The only gripe I have is sometimes the calls do not come through the headset. This is usually easily fixed. Thank you all again for the help.