What could make a game not recognize controller inputs? (Everspace 2 / Unreal Engine not working with DS4)

Hawknite

I play games with a PS4 controller and they all work fine, until I downloaded Everspace 2 on GamePass and for some reason it knows there's a controller plugged in (it shows controller UI and hides the cursor), but it ignores any inputs.

I know that Steam manages controllers but for other platforms a program like DS4Windows is required. I've been using it for many years and when I asked on their Discord server the devs themselves said that's the best solution, but it still doesn't work for me.

I've also tested on more than one PC and got the same issue, so I'm just looking for ideas on what to try next. At this point I'm less interested in playing the game than I am in making this work, so I don't want to use M+KB or another controller, as this one works on every other game.

Do you have the setting in DS4 “hide controller” on? If not turn it on, and it should work.

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

21 minutes ago, BakaPetra said:

Do you have the setting in DS4 “hide controller” on? If not turn it on, and it should work.

It is on, but it doesn't work, also doesn't work while off. All other programs that could interfere, such as Steam, are closed.

9 hours ago, Hawknite said:

I know that Steam manages controllers but for other platforms a program like DS4Windows is required. I've been using it for many years and when I asked on their Discord server the devs themselves said that's the best solution, but it still doesn't work for me.

Are you using the original repository or a fork? The original one is INSANELY OUTDATED and yet they dont wanna admit that.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 hours ago, Hawknite said:

It is on, but it doesn't work, also doesn't work while off. All other programs that could interfere, such as Steam, are closed.

Did you install all the drivers for DS4? 

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

11 hours ago, BakaPetra said:

Did you install all the drivers for DS4? 

You mean ViGEmBus and HidHide? If so, yes, but wouldn't other games also not work if this was the issue? Even other Unreal Engine games outside of Steam, which the devs said is the problem, work.

11 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Are you using the original repository or a fork? The original one is INSANELY OUTDATED and yet they dont wanna admit that.

Not sure actually, probably the original,  it's version 3.2.13

Do you run DS4 as an administrator? Also some game work cause Steam added PS controller support for some of them.

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

2 hours ago, BakaPetra said:

Do you run DS4 as an administrator? Also some game work cause Steam added PS controller support for some of them.

I run it as administrator, yes.
I know DS4Windows is not required when playing on Steam, but it is everywhere else. And I made sure to check Steam is closed and not interfering; DS4 is using exclusive mode (also didn't work with Steam open).

Looked into it a bit:

-Connect your controller with USB.

-Then run DS4

-Turn on hide controller

Some games will still not work with wireless cause they won't recognise the controller as an input device, but with cable it should see it as a Windows rawinput - wich is supported by Unreal Engine, so DS4 should work too. DS4 basically translates the PS4 signal to a Windows rawinput or a Xinput signal  if I understand it correctrly.

Do you use it in wireless or cabled mode?

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

58 minutes ago, BakaPetra said:

Looked into it a bit:

-Connect your controller with USB.

-Then run DS4

-Turn on hide controller

Some games will still not work with wireless cause they won't recognise the controller as an input device, but with cable it should see it as a Windows rawinput - wich is supported by Unreal Engine, so DS4 should work too. DS4 basically translates the PS4 signal to a Windows rawinput or a Xinput signal  if I understand it correctrly.

Do you use it in wireless or cabled mode?

I use a wired controller and this is what I do and it works on every game except Everspace 2. Since the devs said this works for them I'm trying to understand why it doesn't for me.

30 minutes ago, Hawknite said:

I use a wired controller and this is what I do and it works on every game except Everspace 2. Since the devs said this works for them I'm trying to understand why it doesn't for me.

Do you have the game on Steam? If so, go to steam settings ---> general controller settings and select your controller there, and set it to Playstation before launching DS4.

If you have the GOG version, add it to Steam and it should work.

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

2 hours ago, BakaPetra said:

Do you have the game on Steam? If so, go to steam settings ---> general controller settings and select your controller there, and set it to Playstation before launching DS4.

If you have the GOG version, add it to Steam and it should work.

No, I'm playing on Game Pass.