Slow internet (wifi) only on pc - seemingly assosiated with windows 11 updates

Cj-Puerto
Go to solution Solved by Gat Pelsinger,

Look up how you can change the DNS server your computer uses. This might help actually. If you can, re-install Windows, but that's too much work. Also, make sure you are using the correct an most up to date network drivers.

Hello!

Recently I've been noticing that my Wi-Fi connection on my PC has been inconsistent, to the point it becomes unusable. 

I'm connecting via Wi-Fi with my motherboard's antenna, and up until a few days ago I was getting 200mbps while downloading. This is supposed to be the normal behavior of my connection. 

I've read online that the latest windows updates (kb5028185 & kb5028851) have been giving people a lot of trouble with their connections (Wi-Fi and ethernet likewise), but I'm not actually sure if this is the problem I’m facing.

I've uninstalled those updates multiple times and my connection seems to come back to normal after the first restart. Sadly, if I restart the computer multiple times, the download speed goes down again by a lot (I’m even getting 400kbps while downloading games), even with the updates uninstalled.

Things I have tried:

1.    Reinstalling the wi-fi drivers.

2.    Uninstalling windows updates.

3.    Resetting wi-fi configuration.

4.    Set DNS addresses manually.

5.    Clear browser cache and cookies.

6.    Resetting modem.

7.    Resetting TCP/IP stack.

8.   Turning VPN off

9.   Cheking network usage in taks manager to be sure there are no background apps sucking all the bandwith 

I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to computers, so I have tried this steps basically because they are the main suggestions that I could find online. Regardless, nothing has worked so far.

As I said, my PC wi-fi works fine after the first boot when restarting right after uninstalling the latest windows updates, but in subsequent boots it goes downhill again.

Wi-fi acts normally on all other devices.

I don’t know what else to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

41 minutes ago, Cj-Puerto said:

Hello!

Recently I've been noticing that my Wi-Fi connection on my PC has been inconsistent, to the point it becomes unusable. 

I'm connecting via Wi-Fi with my motherboard's antenna, and up until a few days ago I was getting 200mbps while downloading. This is supposed to be the normal behavior of my connection. 

I've read online that the latest windows updates (kb5028185 & kb5028851) have been giving people a lot of trouble with their connections (Wi-Fi and ethernet likewise), but I'm not actually sure if this is the problem I’m facing.

I've uninstalled those updates multiple times and my connection seems to come back to normal after the first restart. Sadly, if I restart the computer multiple times, the download speed goes down again by a lot (I’m even getting 400kbps while downloading games), even with the updates uninstalled.

Things I have tried:

1.    Reinstalling the wi-fi drivers.

2.    Uninstalling windows updates.

3.    Resetting wi-fi configuration.

4.    Set DNS addresses manually.

5.    Clear browser cache and cookies.

6.    Resetting modem.

7.    Resetting TCP/IP stack.

8.   Turning VPN off

9.   Cheking network usage in taks manager to be sure there are no background apps sucking all the bandwith 

I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to computers, so I have tried this steps basically because they are the main suggestions that I could find online. Regardless, nothing has worked so far.

As I said, my PC wi-fi works fine after the first boot when restarting right after uninstalling the latest windows updates, but in subsequent boots it goes downhill again.

Wi-fi acts normally on all other devices.

I don’t know what else to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

What I think you're saying is that it is plugged into the antenna on your motherboard. Have you tried updating your bios as it is associated with your mobo.

What is the raw speed test at www.speedtest.net you get? Don't use any other speed test, their servers might be slow, so could be the servers of your games, unless it's Steam. You should probably get an ethernet cable wired. That really helps in the speed. You should perhaps also monitor your wifi router's stuff and settings by entering 192.168.1.1 I believe in your browser, or the IP address might be something else, you need to see.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

9 hours ago, FireLegend said:

What I think you're saying is that it is plugged into the antenna on your motherboard. Have you tried updating your bios as it is associated with your mobo.

Hello, than you for the reply. 

Updated mobo bios, problem persists. 

Again, the internet speed worked ok after the first restart after updating bios. After multiple boots, it went down again.

😱

9 hours ago, Hensen Juang said:

What is the raw speed test at www.speedtest.net you get? Don't use any other speed test, their servers might be slow, so could be the servers of your games, unless it's Steam. You should probably get an ethernet cable wired. That really helps in the speed. You should perhaps also monitor your wifi router's stuff and settings by entering 192.168.1.1 I believe in your browser, or the IP address might be something else, you need to see.

Thanks for the reply

Right know im preforming the speed test in the page you provided. It's going for arroud 30 to 70 mbps

In steam client and other game clients (like battlenet) speed drops to 400kbps.

Could you suggest what steps should i take regarding the IP? 

In raw speed test, it's 30-70, but in steam it drops below 0.400? Well then that has to be a Steam problem. Maybe their servers had some problems, and the speed was so slow. Is your CPU, ok? Is it under too much load while downloading games? Because Steam does real time decompression of games while downloading, so if the CPU (or drive speed itself) is the bottleneck, then speed will be reduced. Are you actively getting this much slow down on Steam, or is it just sometimes?

Also, are you using 2.4 GHz band, or 5 GHz band? If you don't what that is, then you are probably using 2.4 GHz. But regardless which one you use; speed shouldn't drop this much. You should look this up and set up 5 GHz, if your router and your PC even support it. But just get an ethernet cable dude, speed is going to be much faster, for me, I doubled my speed, NOT JOKING.

And about the IP, it's just that you can monitor and change settings of your router. First make sure that you are connected to the router, then it should its own IP address in LAN. Either it would written on the router itself, or it could be 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1. Just go to that IP in the browser. Enter the credentials, which you might get written on the router, or it's just admin & admin.

Microsoft owns my soul.

27 minutes ago, Hensen Juang said:

In raw speed test, it's 30-70, but in steam it drops below 0.400? Well then that has to be a Steam problem. Maybe their servers had some problems, and the speed was so slow. Is your CPU, ok? Is it under too much load while downloading games? Because Steam does real time decompression of games while downloading, so if the CPU (or drive speed itself) is the bottleneck, then speed will be reduced. Are you actively getting this much slow down on Steam, or is it just sometimes?

Also, are you using 2.4 GHz band, or 5 GHz band? If you don't what that is, then you are probably using 2.4 GHz. But regardless which one you use; speed shouldn't drop this much. You should look this up and set up 5 GHz, if your router and your PC even support it. But just get an ethernet cable dude, speed is going to be much faster, for me, I doubled my speed, NOT JOKING.

And about the IP, it's just that you can monitor and change settings of your router. First make sure that you are connected to the router, then it should its own IP address in LAN. Either it would written on the router itself, or it could be 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1. Just go to that IP in the browser. Enter the credentials, which you might get written on the router, or it's just admin & admin.

Yes, it's really wierd, the problem it's not only on steam, other game clients show the same behavior and twitch, for example, also gets really slow. 

The slowdown seems to come and go while downloading games.

CPU usage it's not an issue, i think. I have a ryzen 7 3700X and it barely gets 40-60% usage while heavy gaming in 1440p. 

I also made sure i was running on 5ghz band, problem still there 😞

I think i'll just have to use the ethernet cable. The strangest thing is that sometimes (after a reboot) the wi-fi preforms perfect for that session (getting 200mbps and above in speed test), until i reset the computer.

I will try to see if i can do something about in in the IP config, as you suggested!

Thank's for your advice! 

Look up how you can change the DNS server your computer uses. This might help actually. If you can, re-install Windows, but that's too much work. Also, make sure you are using the correct an most up to date network drivers.

Microsoft owns my soul.

3 hours ago, Hensen Juang said:

Finally decided to do a clean windows install. Looks like it solved the issue, i wonder what it was hehe.

Thank you for your advice! 🙂