Is it worth waiting?

Go to solution Solved by Zakolichoo,

Alright! Just today the person I was trying to GPU from let me 25 $ off, so I took it! Now all I want to upgrade is probably my PSU, I have 550 W model, so I think about buying 750 W. The one I found is Aerocool VX PLUS 750W 80+ and costs 40$, I will make another thread on that. Thank you all very much, a lot of helpful answers!

It is well known that games created in the future will be more and more in demand of VRAM. I want to buy myself a new GPU (at the moment I have 2 gb gtx 950), I would like it to last at least for next 3 or 4 years so I am aiming in 12 GB VRAM models, like 6700 XT (or 6750 XT, very simmiliar price). I heard that AMD may announce new GPU's with 12 gigs in September, so my question is: Should I wait those two months and most important, if they announce new 12 GB GPU's will other model's (6700 XT, 6750 XT) prices drop? I just upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 5600 and I can run most of games I play easily, but as I tried Squad, it can only run on very poor graphics due to it having only 2 GB's of VRAM... So any recommendations on what to do? I was planning to buy used 6700 XT for 300$, but I want to avoid problems with buying second hand so if prices are gonna drop after announce of new GPU's then I will definitely wait. Open for opinions and recommendations!

You can probably get a used 6700 XT (or 6750) for a good bit under 300 if you look.

I don't expect the 6700 series to get too much cheaper than it is, tho.  

Just now, tkitch said:

You can probably get a used 6700 XT (or 6750) for a good bit under 300 if you look.

I don't expect the 6700 series to get too much cheaper than it is, tho.  

I live in Poland and used GPU market isn't really that big, people set prices high for those GPU's at the moment... 

19 minutes ago, Zakolichoo said:

It is well known that games created in the future will be more and more in demand of VRAM. I want to buy myself a new GPU (at the moment I have 2 gb gtx 950), I would like it to last at least for next 3 or 4 years so I am aiming in 12 GB VRAM models, like 6700 XT (or 6750 XT, very simmiliar price). I heard that AMD may announce new GPU's with 12 gigs in September, so my question is: Should I wait those two months and most important, if they announce new 12 GB GPU's will other model's (6700 XT, 6750 XT) prices drop? I just upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 5600 and I can run most of games I play easily, but as I tried Squad, it can only run on very poor graphics due to it having only 2 GB's of VRAM... So any recommendations on what to do? I was planning to buy used 6700 XT for 300$, but I want to avoid problems with buying second hand so if prices are gonna drop after announce of new GPU's then I will definitely wait. Open for opinions and recommendations!

RX 6700 XT for low $300's isn't bad, however, the 6750 XT had gone on sale several times at that price as well. Is it worth waiting for another sale that probably won't ever happen? Probably not, the market is quite aware of how good the card is, especially after the RTX 4060/ti releases that can't even beat it for more $.

Another card worth considering is the Arc A770 16GB, which will go on sale regularly for $320.

Acer Predator BiFrost Arc A770 Video Card Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770 OC DP.BKCWW.P02 - Newegg.com

Arc drivers have actually gotten really good. Its a bit of a gamble, but I'd say its worth it. Arc won't survive without people buying it, so if you want a second generation, then its worth considering. XeSS is at least in Diablo 4 and testing it on an A380, it worked quite well. Rasterization performance is on par if not higher than the RTX 4060ti and can do RT, not as well, but can do it. Enough about Intel Arc though.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

RX 6700 XT for low $300's isn't bad, however, the 6750 XT had gone on sale several times at that price as well. Is it worth waiting for another sale that probably won't ever happen? Probably not, the market is quite aware of how good the card is, especially after the RTX 4060/ti releases that can't even beat it for more $.

Another card worth considering is the Arc A770 16GB, which will go on sale regularly for $320.

Acer Predator BiFrost Arc A770 Video Card Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770 OC DP.BKCWW.P02 - Newegg.com

Arc drivers have actually gotten really good. Its a bit of a gamble, but I'd say its worth it. Arc won't survive without people buying it, so if you want a second generation, then its worth considering. XeSS is at least in Diablo 4 and testing it on an A380, it worked quite well. Rasterization performance is on par if not higher than the RTX 4060ti and can do RT, not as well, but can do it. Enough about Intel Arc though.

Cool, won't my 5 5600 bottleneck it?

1 minute ago, Zakolichoo said:

The A770 or 6700XT? 

Bottlenecking is a complex topic, but the simplest way of putting it is that at any point in a specific application in specific scenarios, you'll see either a CPU, GPU, or engine limitation. Ideally, you're sitting at a GPU limitation all the time since it'll scale the best to cost per frame. Depending on the game, a 7950x3D or 13900k will 'bottleneck' an A770 or 6700XT, as an example, so whether or not an R5 5600 will is sort of a moot point if we're properly discussing the topic of 'bottlenecking'.

Will an R5 5600 with an A770 or 6700XT be 'unbalanced' relative to performance and budget? No, but that's only for most games. If you primarily play a game like WoW, then you'd been better off spending more on a CPU to get a 5800x3D specifically and get something like an RX 6600/6650XT, but that's not a generally 'balanced' rig for most games.

People will contest the ideal of a 'balanced' system, but it makes sense when you factor in value and budget. Having $2000 available for a rig as an example and going with a $1600 RTX 4090 combined with a $150 R5 5600 would be 'unbalanced', however, in a few applications, it would be the best gaming performance overall. In all of them though? Definitely not, where some games would be putting like $1000 worth of GPU performance on the table, on top of the fact that you really should be spending $800-$1500 on a monitor to even make use of something like an RTX 4090's capabilities. 

TLDR answer: No, but I would describe the A770 and 6700 XT with an R5 5600 as a good value, not whether or not it would 'bottleneck it'. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

The A770 or 6700XT? 

Bottlenecking is a complex topic, but the simplest way of putting it is that at any point in a specific application in specific scenarios, you'll see either a CPU, GPU, or engine limitation. Ideally, you're sitting at a GPU limitation all the time since it'll scale the best to cost per frame. Depending on the game, a 7950x3D or 13900k will 'bottleneck' an A770 or 6700XT, as an example, so whether or not an R5 5600 will is sort of a moot point if we're properly discussing the topic of 'bottlenecking'.

Will an R5 5600 with an A770 or 6700XT be 'unbalanced' relative to performance and budget? No, but that's only for most games. If you primarily play a game like WoW, then you'd been better off spending more on a CPU to get a 5800x3D specifically and get something like an RX 6600/6650XT, but that's not a generally 'balanced' rig for most games.

People will contest the ideal of a 'balanced' system, but it makes sense when you factor in value and budget. Having $2000 available for a rig as an example and going with a $1600 RTX 4090 combined with a $150 R5 5600 would be 'unbalanced', however, in a few applications, it would be the best gaming performance overall. In all of them though? Definitely not, where some games would be putting like $1000 worth of GPU performance on the table, on top of the fact that you really should be spending $800-$1500 on a monitor to even make use of something like an RTX 4090's capabilities. 

TLDR answer: No, but I would describe the A770 and 6700 XT with an R5 5600 as a good value, not whether or not it would 'bottleneck it'. 

Alright! Sorry for not being clear in my question, it's late and I'm kinda tired... To be precise, I want my build to just last 3/4 years, not the newest games on 4k, 1080p is fine for me and I don't spend much on games, so I buy them only on good sales when they get a little older or if I really want to play them (EA Sports FC 24 for example). So to set things clear, the only thing I need to complete my build now is to buy a GPU. I have only 400$ budget which I would preferably spend as less as possible, I think there is no point in buying 8 GB VRAM card if I want it to last these few years. And I will surely consider ARC too, but since I got Ryzen 5 5600 I think Radeon card would fit it the best, and RX 6700 seems like most affordable option right now.

Hey,

If you say A770 is good, then do not forget the 2070 Super or 2080 Ti. The 2070 Super is about the same as the A770, but does not have 16GB, which is a concern for you because you want 12GB. Maybe the 2080 Ti would be another solution? It has 11GB, so almost 12GB. Since I don't know Poland's prices, these GPUs may not be an option.

But if you really would like to not buy used, then wait for the new ones from AMD, I think they will be priced better than the current NVDIA offerings.

Also, a big thing to consider is, that 6000-Series is "old" now. It will  feel older much faster. I had the same Experience with buying a 2070 Super 3-5months before RTX 30 launch. It was good to buy it then, yes. But it is 3 years old now and also 2 generations behind the current offerings. This is not something that has to do with performance that much, it is just to have a mind that does not think "My GPU feels so old...".

23 minutes ago, Zakolichoo said:

On average the Arc A770 will be the bottleneck, leaving your CPU with some extra power to handle background processes.

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

2 minutes ago, Zakolichoo said:

Alright! Sorry for not being clear in my question, it's late and I'm kinda tired... To be precise, I want my build to just last 3/4 years, not the newest games on 4k, 1080p is fine for me and I don't spend much on games, so I buy them only on good sales when they get a little older or if I really want to play them (EA Sports FC 24 for example). So to set things clear, the only thing I need to complete my build now is to buy a GPU. I have only 400$ budget which I would preferably spend as less as possible, I think there is no point in buying 8 GB VRAM card if I want it to last these few years. And I will surely consider ARC too, but since I got Ryzen 5 5600 I think Radeon card would fit it the best, and RX 6700 seems like most affordable option right now.

RX 6700 XT 12GB = Arc A770 16GB < RX 6750 XT 12GB. That's the tier list I'd use to determine what's a good value. Basically if you can fit the 6750 XT into that budget, then sure, otherwise look downwards. Noting specifically that the Arc A770 does have 8GB variants which I don't think are worth it, and the 16GB variants aren't as abundant. 

If the RX 6750 XT is 10% or less more in cost to the RX 6700 XT, then its worth it. If the A770 16GB is the same price as the RX 6700 XT 12GB, then I'd give it a consideration.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

8 minutes ago, tddk25 said:

On average the Arc A770 will be the bottleneck, leaving your CPU with some extra power to handle background processes.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here or understand what a 'bottleneck' is in the context of a gaming PC in 2023. CPU bottlenecks almost always occur due to single threaded performance, not multithreading performance, when we're talking about i5/R5 tier products or higher within the last 3 generations. Even a 7800x3D or 13900k will 'bottleneck' an A770 in some scenarios due to the game's poor multithreading optimization or the fact that the CPU can't run at +10GHz or have 4GB of L2+L3 cache (random high values for visualization). 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Alright! Just today the person I was trying to GPU from let me 25 $ off, so I took it! Now all I want to upgrade is probably my PSU, I have 550 W model, so I think about buying 750 W. The one I found is Aerocool VX PLUS 750W 80+ and costs 40$, I will make another thread on that. Thank you all very much, a lot of helpful answers!