RTX 3070 upgrade planned

sansyy

Hello, I am purchasing an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING.

My current specs are:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

ASUS Prime B450M-K

16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (2x8gb 3200Mhz)

Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Mini 8 GB 

Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular

WD BLUE SN550 1TB NVMe

4tb generic toshiba hard drive

4x Corsair LL120 Fans

Corsair Commander Pro

Corsair LED strips it seems

What else will I be required to upgrade alongside this GPU? I know my PSU is a little underpowered but I was hoping that by the fact its a reliable corsair unit I should be fine for a little while until needing to upgrade. I would prefer to only upgrade the GPU for now and leave the PSU as is but want to know if its safe to do so as long as I am careful with the processing. Any recommendations or solutions? Thanks

Edited by sansyy
forgot motherboard whoops

19 minutes ago, sansyy said:

Hello, I am purchasing an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING.

My current specs are:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

ASUS Prime B450M-K

16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (2x8gb 3200Mhz)

Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Mini 8 GB 

Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular

WD BLUE SN550 1TB NVMe

4tb generic toshiba hard drive

4x Corsair LL120 Fans

Corsair Commander Pro

Corsair LED strips it seems

What else will I be required to upgrade alongside this GPU? I know my PSU is a little underpowered but I was hoping that by the fact its a reliable corsair unit I should be fine for a little while until needing to upgrade. I would prefer to only upgrade the GPU for now and leave the PSU as is but want to know if its safe to do so as long as I am careful with the processing. Any recommendations or solutions? Thanks

You can always try with this PSU. If the card spikes or require more power the PSU should just shut down the system to protect everything before anything bad happens.
The RM series from Corsair IS a very good PSU series so you might get away with it.
The 5600x is a low wattaeg chip so you got some power left over for the 3070.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You can always try with this PSU. If the card spikes or require more power the PSU should just shut down the system to protect everything before anything bad happens.
The RM series from Corsair IS a very good PSU series so you might get away with it.
The 5600x is a low wattaeg chip so you got some power left over for the 3070.

Thanks, what kind of things usually spike the card? More curious to know what to be careful with, I do VR gaming and thats really the most intense it gets

Current cards been fine its just starting to die getting more errors and more crashes to the point I could do with upgrading

3 minutes ago, sansyy said:

Thanks, what kind of things usually spike the card? More curious to know what to be careful with, I do VR gaming and thats really the most intense it gets

Current cards been fine its just starting to die getting more errors and more crashes to the point I could do with upgrading

Its not really something you can control, any high load can spike the card and that include normal gaming and VR.  The PSU will use its protective meassures and shut down the system if this happens and thats fine.    The other parts in your system is low wattage so that is good.
Lets say a 100w for the system ( cpu 65w )  and the normal 220w power draw from the 3070 thats 320-330 watts.
Just plug it in and give it a wirl, seen a few people run 3070's with good 550w PSU's. 
A PSU upgrade is recommended down the line of course.

50 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Its not really something you can control, any high load can spike the card and that include normal gaming and VR.  The PSU will use its protective meassures and shut down the system if this happens and thats fine.    The other parts in your system is low wattage so that is good.
Lets say a 100w for the system ( cpu 65w )  and the normal 220w power draw from the 3070 thats 320-330 watts.
Just plug it in and give it a wirl, seen a few people run 3070's with good 550w PSU's. 
A PSU upgrade is recommended down the line of course.

Perfect, thank you will definitely go towards a PSU upgrade pretty soonish just didn't want to stretch my budget and push for something I don't exactly need at this moment and hopefully because the PSU is quality being RMx I should be good

1 hour ago, sansyy said:

Perfect, thank you will definitely go towards a PSU upgrade pretty soonish just didn't want to stretch my budget and push for something I don't exactly need at this moment and hopefully because the PSU is quality being RMx I should be good

No Problem.  I ONLY use the RM series from Corsair and have done so for years and in 20+ builds without any issues 🙂  Great quality PSU's.

2 hours ago, sansyy said:

Thanks, what kind of things usually spike the card?

Tough to say, anything really. My Seasonic Prime GX-750 has a hard time with my 3070 Ti and 5900X. I can do 650w at the wall with that combo. My EVGA PSU soaks it all up, and it is a much cheaper quality PSU.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14