Whats the best setup for a pc 15+ meters from desk?

cfescript

Similar to how Linus has his setup, I want to have a PC that is in a different room from my desk. I’ll need cables that are roughly 15 meters in length. My current monitor is 1440p 144hz but I plan to upgrade to 4k 144hz in the future. I mostly play CSGO and Valorant so maintaining that refresh rate and low latency is important to me. What is the best way I can get my display and keyboard/mouse that distance? 

I tried to see how Linus does his setup. I watched the videos where he used the optical thunderbolt cable. That seems like that would be ideal since its one thin cable, but I would have to get a different motherboard that supports the thunderbolt 3 add in card. I also don't really see any thunderbolt docks that advertise anything above 4k60 so I’m worried about getting the right one. I’ve also seen that the Corning cables are known to be finicky with Thunderbolt 4, so I am a little worried that I will invest in all this stuff and in a few years I cant use the same cable because there is no thunderbolt 3 support. 

In his new house he mentioned using fiber optics and had HDMI 2.1 cables but he didn't go into detail about the specific products he was using - at least not that I could find. I have seen some fiber optic HDMI 2.1 as well as fiber optic display port, but I haven't really seen a lot of content online about them so I am worried about which to get. There is also the topic of the USB. I only have my keyboard and mouse so it doesn't need to be high bandwidth. I’ve seen some USB over cat6 adapters to try. 

The ideal setup seems like an external thunderbolt card that is basically one dock to another dock via the Corning cable. That way everything is plugged in through one small cable and I don't need to worry about the hardware on either end. I haven't found anything like this though. 

Does anybody else have a similar setup? What solutions have worked for everyone in the past? 

31 minutes ago, cfescript said:

Similar to how Linus has his setup, I want to have a PC that is in a different room from my desk. I’ll need cables that are roughly 15 meters in length. My current monitor is 1440p 144hz but I plan to upgrade to 4k 144hz in the future. I mostly play CSGO and Valorant so maintaining that refresh rate and low latency is important to me. What is the best way I can get my display and keyboard/mouse that distance? 

I tried to see how Linus does his setup. I watched the videos where he used the optical thunderbolt cable. That seems like that would be ideal since its one thin cable, but I would have to get a different motherboard that supports the thunderbolt 3 add in card. I also don't really see any thunderbolt docks that advertise anything above 4k60 so I’m worried about getting the right one. I’ve also seen that the Corning cables are known to be finicky with Thunderbolt 4, so I am a little worried that I will invest in all this stuff and in a few years I cant use the same cable because there is no thunderbolt 3 support. 

In his new house he mentioned using fiber optics and had HDMI 2.1 cables but he didn't go into detail about the specific products he was using - at least not that I could find. I have seen some fiber optic HDMI 2.1 as well as fiber optic display port, but I haven't really seen a lot of content online about them so I am worried about which to get. There is also the topic of the USB. I only have my keyboard and mouse so it doesn't need to be high bandwidth. I’ve seen some USB over cat6 adapters to try. 

The ideal setup seems like an external thunderbolt card that is basically one dock to another dock via the Corning cable. That way everything is plugged in through one small cable and I don't need to worry about the hardware on either end. I haven't found anything like this though. 

Does anybody else have a similar setup? What solutions have worked for everyone in the past? 

Why not just go with an Intel Z790 system that has native USB4/TB3 with DP passthrough ports?

I know there's models out there with such, I'll update when I find a motherboard. There's motherboards with native TB3 with full sized DP ports designed for you to pass through the DP through the respective thunderbolt port.

Amazon.com: ASUS ProArt B550-Creator AMD (Ryzen 5000/3000) ATX content creator motherboard (Thunderbolt™ 4, dual M.2, PCIe 4.0, Dual 2.5 Gb Lan, DisplayPort/HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C, and RGB headers) : Electronics

Not a recommendation, just an example. So you'd pass through your GPU's DP output through TB3 using optical thunderbolt.

GIGABYTE Z790 AERO G LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5, 5* 5.0 M.2, PCIe 5.0, USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C, WiFi 6E, Intel 2.5GbE LAN - Newegg.com

Another motherboard with DP in and proper USB4.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR5 Extended ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com uses mini DP inputs probably for space.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 hours ago, Agall said:

Why not just go with an Intel Z790 system that has native USB4/TB3 with DP passthrough ports?

I know there's models out there with such, I'll update when I find a motherboard. There's motherboards with native TB3 with full sized DP ports designed for you to pass through the DP through the respective thunderbolt port.

Amazon.com: ASUS ProArt B550-Creator AMD (Ryzen 5000/3000) ATX content creator motherboard (Thunderbolt™ 4, dual M.2, PCIe 4.0, Dual 2.5 Gb Lan, DisplayPort/HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C, and RGB headers) : Electronics

Not a recommendation, just an example. So you'd pass through your GPU's DP output through TB3 using optical thunderbolt.

GIGABYTE Z790 AERO G LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5, 5* 5.0 M.2, PCIe 5.0, USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C, WiFi 6E, Intel 2.5GbE LAN - Newegg.com

Another motherboard with DP in and proper USB4.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR5 Extended ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com uses mini DP inputs probably for space.

My fear with a mb with built in TB3 is that its limited in the long term. What happens in 5 years when I need TB3 but every motherboard is TB4 and newer. I might as well get the add in card that will always be TB3 because its more likely the future boards will still have the header. Corning hasn't made a TB4 cable yet and who knows if they will. If I’m investing $300+ in a cable I don't want it to last for a few generations. Like that is basically a new CPU that I am buying for that price.

5 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Thank you for this. Do you have any issues with the HMDI cable? I saw a review saying it didn't work for their 1440p monitor do you know if it supports that resolution? With most cables any resolution matters but maybe since its optical it only supports specific resolutions and refresh rates?

1 hour ago, cfescript said:

Thank you for this. Do you have any issues with the HMDI cable? I saw a review saying it didn't work for their 1440p monitor do you know if it supports that resolution? With most cables any resolution matters but maybe since its optical it only supports specific resolutions and refresh rates?

I’ve been using the cable I sent you for a couple months now to transmit full RGB 4k 120hz without issue, so you should be set easily with 1440p. Keep in mind that the cable is directional (one side source, one side display), it needs to be plugged in with the 5v usb dongle, and make sure you plug it directly from the GPU to the display. I tried plugging it into an hdmi switch, then to the display, and it didn’t like that. 

Also, all the usb ports are 2.0, which is perfect for headsets, mice, and keyboards but won’t be great for file transfers.