BIOS updated, CMOS Battery replaced, BIOS still wont save any settings

yarmit
Go to solution Solved by yarmit,

I exchanged the motherboard and was having the same problems. I removed my Plex boot drive and was able to have BIOS settings save. So that's resolved and I can start actually working on getting my plex server back up. Time to go learn more about TruNAS Core. Thank you both for your suggestions 

I bought a buddle from Micro Center today: Intel Core i7-12700K, MSI Z690-A Pro WiFi DDR4, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit. I'm using this for my plex server. I migrated the SSD's and HDD's over. I read online that it would be that simple (I'm sure it probably won't be), but I haven't been able to find out because the system just loads right into the BIOS.  I tried setting the XMP while I was there. Save, exit. Boots back into bios with no changes having been made. Googled it, so I updated the bios one update at a time until I was current (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A-DDR4/support#bios). Changes still won't save. I Checked the CMOS Battery (3.20V), decided to put in a fresh one (3.29V). Changes still wont save. I read about using the jumpers to clear the CMOS. Still didn't change anything. Those are the only things I can find online. Can anyone help me with ideas?

PXL_20230708_001927055.jpg

PXL_20230708_002025939.jpg

I'm beginning to suspect this more. Not sure if I should try reaching out to Micro Center to help me troubleshoot this, or just try exchanging the motherboard with them.

I too would have to say yours is defective so don't waste any more of your time worrying about it - Take it back and exchange it, get a refund or whatever they'll do to remedy your issue and be done with it. 

BTW 3.0-3.1v's is the stock voltage for a CMOS battery, you'd only replace the battery if it drops below 2.9v's but your batteries from what you've posted are fine.

Believe it or not this isn't an uncommon problem with older boards - Yours however isn't an older one and it should be saving your settings.
TBH I have a few older ones that will not save settings.... And then they do, it's a strange problem but one day they'll begin holding settings as if nothing was ever wrong but before that it's the same thing you are experiencing.

For these boards I always make sure the spring/tab at the bottom of the battery socket (Battery Positive) is exterting enough pressure on the battery by bending it up a little, so the battery will have enough pressure on it to make good electrical contact with the socket's lock tab (Battery Ground), which is also part of the battery circuit and I also will clean these connection points to help ensure a good connection to the battery.
I don't worry about it since these aren't used for much of anything and in most cases simple use will eventually result in them holding settings again as they should.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I tried bending the tabs to ensure good contact on the CMOS battery just now, but no luck. I'll just take y'all's advice and exchange the motherboard. I usually have a good experience with Micro Center, but this is the second time in two months that I have bought a defective product from them. 

I exchanged the motherboard and was having the same problems. I removed my Plex boot drive and was able to have BIOS settings save. So that's resolved and I can start actually working on getting my plex server back up. Time to go learn more about TruNAS Core. Thank you both for your suggestions