Combine multiple storage volume

K3nobi
Go to solution Solved by thevictor390,

The extra volumes marked "recovery" are so you can restore the PC to factory settings. They really are not necessary as long as you know how to do a generic Windows install, if you are ok with that you can remove them.

The only way to combine your volumes is to copy your data on D: to something else, delete D: and everything else you want to clear up, extend C: into the now empty space, then copy your stuff back.

My dad recently pass down his laptop for me to use for school and one of the things that triggered me quite a bit is that the drives are separated into 2 volumes even though its literally just one physical drive. Here is what it looks like in Disk Management:

image.png.a863602089e1c44bbd2e0c1ab83fdd22.png

I would like to combine C: and D: into one under C: since it is literally just in the same physical drive and I'm not quite sure how

Btw what actually are the other different "Healthy" volumes? Never really get to know them

And why do manufacturers keep on doing this? I've seen other laptops and pre-builts do the exact same thing

(Apologies if posted in wrong subforums, wasn't sure which one would fit better, hopefully this)

The extra volumes marked "recovery" are so you can restore the PC to factory settings. They really are not necessary as long as you know how to do a generic Windows install, if you are ok with that you can remove them.

The only way to combine your volumes is to copy your data on D: to something else, delete D: and everything else you want to clear up, extend C: into the now empty space, then copy your stuff back.

He probably had it set up with the C and D partitions so if hit by a virus (or like me, just likes to do a fresh install every so often), he could do so without it affecting his data.

7 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Ah, thanks for the explanation, I guess I'll keep that one then just in case.

And thank you for the solution, it seem to have worked.