Random BSODs and Freezes --

TroyTakesPhotos
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
14 minutes ago, TroyTakesPhotos said:

Attached are the dump files and the performance monitor report as requested in the "BSOD Posting Instructions Thread" - I couldn't save the perfmon as an HTML so I just did a PDF instead with things open.  

So, quick timeline here --  I have a late 2019 Dell XPS 8930.

In March, I upgraded from 32GB of RAM to 64GB of RAM - I do a lot of photo processing and video editing, and thought this might improve things a bit.

In June, I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1060 (Nvidia) to a RX6600 (AMD).   (I also upgraded my power supply, but I think that's a red herring.)

Within the last week alone, I've BSOD'd 5 times.  Those dump files are attached.  One happened this morning when I woke up - meaning it happened overnight when I wasn't even doing anything on my computer.  (Kernel Security Check Failure.)  Last week, I had a Page Fault in Nonpaged Area in win32kbase.sys.  

I've run a memory check and have found no issues.  I've double-checked and updated the drivers for the GPU and found no issues.  So now, I'm stuck.  Suggestions?

BSOD 070523.zip 2.52 MB · 0 downloads bsod070523.pdf 631.21 kB · 1 download

I'd revert the memory upgrade first and see if you still get issues. If that upgrade involved adding another two DIMMs to run 4x16GB, then I'd suspect that to be the problem first. Otherwise, I'd suspect a compatibility issue with the RX 6600's PCIe 4.0 8x interface on a PCIe 3.0 system, something that can be fixed by forcing PCIe 3.0 on the slot versus the typical 'Auto' (if your Dell UEFI even lets you). 

The idea being isolating the easier of options between two hardware upgrades, likely one of which is a problem.

Attached are the dump files and the performance monitor report as requested in the "BSOD Posting Instructions Thread" - I couldn't save the perfmon as an HTML so I just did a PDF instead with things open.  

In March, I upgraded from 32GB of RAM to 64GB of RAM - I do a lot of photo processing and video editing, and thought this might improve things a bit.

In June, I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1060 (Nvidia) to a RX6600 (AMD).   (I also upgraded my power supply, but I think that's a red herring.)

Within the last week alone, I've BSOD'd 5 times.  Those dump files are attached.  One happened this morning when I woke up - meaning it happened overnight when I wasn't even doing anything on my computer.  (Kernel Security Check Failure.)  Last week, I had a Page Fault in Nonpaged Area in win32kbase.sys.  

I've run a memory check and have found no issues.  I've double-checked and updated the drivers for the GPU and found no issues.  So now, I'm stuck.  Suggestions?

BSOD 070523.zip bsod070523.pdf

14 minutes ago, TroyTakesPhotos said:

I'd revert the memory upgrade first and see if you still get issues. If that upgrade involved adding another two DIMMs to run 4x16GB, then I'd suspect that to be the problem first. Otherwise, I'd suspect a compatibility issue with the RX 6600's PCIe 4.0 8x interface on a PCIe 3.0 system, something that can be fixed by forcing PCIe 3.0 on the slot versus the typical 'Auto' (if your Dell UEFI even lets you). 

The idea being isolating the easier of options between two hardware upgrades, likely one of which is a problem.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

I was leaning towards the RAM upgrade first, but I ran memory checks without any issues that came up - so that threw me off.   The upgrade went from 2x16GB to 2x32GB - but one of those could totally be bad.  I'll revert to the old RAM and try that for a few days (and bump up the thread if it doesn't help).

5 minutes ago, TroyTakesPhotos said:

I was leaning towards the RAM upgrade first, but I ran memory checks without any issues that came up - so that threw me off.   The upgrade went from 2x16GB to 2x32GB - but one of those could totally be bad.  I'll revert to the old RAM and try that for a few days (and bump up the thread if it doesn't help).

32GB DDR4 DIMMs can be buggy, if they're supported properly at all. Especially on an OEM system that might not have a QVL with those DIMMs included. CPU memory controllers might not like running the included XMP profile on that 2x32GB kit either.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Correction, I went from 4x8 to 4x16 - not 2x16 to 2x32.  I was going off of memory (no pun intended) when I wrote that.  But either way, the old RAM is back in, so we'll see how this goes.

6 hours ago, TroyTakesPhotos said:

The dump files show random processes getting page faults (memory corruption basically) so this looks like RAM. Intel is pretty good with compatibility so one of the new sticks might be faulty. 

On 7/5/2023 at 5:07 PM, Bjoolz said:

The dump files show random processes getting page faults (memory corruption basically) so this looks like RAM. Intel is pretty good with compatibility so one of the new sticks might be faulty. 

I put the old sticks in and they seem to be working fine, and reinforce that it's a RAM issue.  I need to get with the manufacturer since it's not returnable via Amazon.

But here's my question... if one of the new sticks is faulty, why are memory tests coming up fine?

2 hours ago, TroyTakesPhotos said:

But here's my question... if one of the new sticks is faulty, why are memory tests coming up fine?

Memory testers are not reliable with DDR4 and newer. They weren't 100% at all with DDR3 and older either, but it felt like reliability dropped off a cliff with DDR4.