Debating switching to Linux on laptop - Linux Mint good option for beginner?

Hi all, just reactivated my account after migrating from Reddit.

I am preparing my biyearly factory wipe on my laptop (Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 4) and I'd like to give Linux a try to help maintain performance as my laptop hardware ages. I'd love to get a Framework someday, but I can't justify it while my current laptop should work fine. I previously have tried Ubuntu from time to time, but never fell in love.

I'd like to try Linux Mint as it looks relatively beginner friendly for me to adjust to. I primarily use it as a school laptop for CS, so using IDEs like CLion, IntelliJ, etc. It's a 2-in-1 as well, so anything that can work well with a stylus is also appreciated. I also plan to use Bluetooth devices, so ease of use for that is also preferred.

I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations!

I personally find Kubuntu (A version of Ubuntu with KDE plasma) very easy to work with! It looks pretty nice and functions exactly like you'd expect Ubuntu to, but there's a ton of customizability and UI changes.

That being said, Mint is very beginner friendly and certainly good to work on - I had a CS professor who used it on his (ironically enough) framework laptop and he swore by it. From a quick search mint is touchscreen/pen friendly but I can't speak to that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would recommend Mint. Im not much of an Ubuntu fan either. Mint has been my primary OS for a long time. 

9 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I would recommend Mint. Im not much of an Ubuntu fan either. Mint has been my primary OS for a long time. 

I'm giving a shot to Mint! So far it's been pretty good, and I like the desktop environment.

13 minutes ago, Sokuba said:

I personally find Kubuntu (A version of Ubuntu with KDE plasma) very easy to work with! It looks pretty nice and functions exactly like you'd expect Ubuntu to, but there's a ton of customizability and UI changes.

That being said, Mint is very beginner friendly and certainly good to work on - I had a CS professor who used it on his (ironically enough) framework laptop and he swore by it. From a quick search mint is touchscreen/pen friendly but I can't speak to that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've never heard of Kubuntu, I'll have to give it a try.

26 minutes ago, QuantumBlink said:

I'd like to try Linux Mint as it looks relatively beginner friendly for me to adjust to.

I install Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop to all of the laptops I do (40+). I also fit an SSD and copy across all files and folders for the owners, using a USB to SATA cable.

Basically sit-down-and-use, especially those coming from Windows.

The difference from Windows is the Linux set up is logical, easy to use and reliable.

Manjaro Gnome is by far the best laptop experience I have ever had.

Manjaro gnome's settings out of the box make gnome approachable to windows and especially OSX users. But what really stands out are the touch gestures Gnome offers. Most jump to mint because its the defacto linux distro most go too, but honestly I find in terms of usability p much every distro with easy install (besides NIX) is very noobie friendly, and really it doesnt matter which one you choose. [Gnome is a desktop enviroment you can download on any distro, but for a new user Id recommend using the default enviroments offered on the iso download page, or the big three KDE, GNOME, XFCE, as getting support in the distro forums is easier)

The reason I say Gnome is like I said before because of the touch gestures with the track pad. It is very different than windows yes, but the ability to rapidly switch windows and desktops just by swiping with your trackpad is life changing once you get used to it(on top of many other things you learn you can do with touch gestures.). I can honestly say I am more productive on my laptop now then a traditional desktop. Its so good that you barely have to point and click for navigation. A lot dont like it because it takes time to get used too, but honestly for a laptop OS, workflow would be my top priority.

Go for Fedora or Manjaro Gnome, but Linux Mint is a solid choice, though I think the cinammon enviroment is a bit outdated design wise.

4 hours ago, mcsqueazy said:

Manjaro Gnome is by far the best laptop experience I have ever had.

Manjaro gnome's settings out of the box make gnome approachable to windows and especially OSX users. But what really stands out are the touch gestures Gnome offers. Most jump to mint because its the defacto linux distro most go too, but honestly I find in terms of usability p much every distro with easy install (besides NIX) is very noobie friendly, and really it doesnt matter which one you choose. [Gnome is a desktop enviroment you can download on any distro, but for a new user Id recommend using the default enviroments offered on the iso download page, or the big three KDE, GNOME, XFCE, as getting support in the distro forums is easier)

The reason I say Gnome is like I said before because of the touch gestures with the track pad. It is very different than windows yes, but the ability to rapidly switch windows and desktops just by swiping with your trackpad is life changing once you get used to it(on top of many other things you learn you can do with touch gestures.). I can honestly say I am more productive on my laptop now then a traditional desktop. Its so good that you barely have to point and click for navigation. A lot dont like it because it takes time to get used too, but honestly for a laptop OS, workflow would be my top priority.

Go for Fedora or Manjaro Gnome, but Linux Mint is a solid choice, though I think the cinammon enviroment is a bit outdated design wise.

Just to make sure I have this right, I could install gnome onto Linux Mint? Or would it not really make sense at that point to stay on Mint?

Give Pop_OS a shot. It's based on Ubuntu, but what I like about them is that they have most of the drivers figured out and even have a dedicated installer if you use an Nvidia card on a laptop/desktop.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

5 hours ago, QuantumBlink said:

Just to make sure I have this right, I could install gnome onto Linux Mint? Or would it not really make sense at that point to stay on Mint?

Yeah you could install gnome on mint, Its p easy actually, and you can switch back if you dont like it.

Keep in mind too a lot of linux tutorials are on debian or ubuntu (same thing) based and it would be easier to get support on mint or ubuntu, pop etc. Literally every chad tutorial online is w/ubunu at 200% scale lmao. Id just install gnome and give it a shot.

Or get a flash usb iso and try manjaro gnome, its really nice IMO. Either way works.

Linux Mint is the most beginner-firendly distro for Windows users! I highly recommend it, so easy to use and customize!

On 7/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, QuantumBlink said:

I would try and use a distro with Gnome first via a live USB. Gnome's user interface is...  Well different.  That's the nicest way I can put it. Gnome used to be my favorite, it hasn't been useable for me in over a decade.