Windows 10 used space info instead of free space info

lafrente

Currently it's like this

image.png.cf750717121e05edf26c0a2bb1d8c093.png

Even though I've been using W10 for over 5 years, I couldn't get used to this. Probably because it's stupid. They highlight the used space in the graphic, but tell you the free space in the text which doesn't make any sense. I don't think it was like that in W7.

Can I make it say "600gb used of 1.81TB" or something?

makes perfect sense in my mind.......i only care how much space i have left not how much i have used. also that blue that you see will turn red as it arrives at a point where the level of capacity has reached a point where it becomes critical. 

Critical can also mean that the large amount of data you want to copy will not fit so knowing at a glance how much actual drive space is remaining rather than how much you have used is far more relevant

There is no way to change this, we're stuck doing math in our heads to know how much space is used.

That said, if you right click and open Properties, then it will tell you how much space is used and how much is free. I find it faster to do the math. Additionally, as @johnno23 pointed out, knowing how much space is free at a glance is far more relevant than knowing how much space is used.

image.png.eb0edb3e3dad67130155808800bd082e.png

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There is no way to change this, we're stuck doing math in our heads to know how much space is used.

That said, if you right click and open Properties, then it will tell you how much space is used and how much is free. I find it faster to do the math. Additionally, as @johnno23 pointed out, knowing how much space is free at a glance is far more relevant than knowing how much space is used.

image.png.eb0edb3e3dad67130155808800bd082e.png

I already know how much is left from the graphic, roughly a bit over 60%. Since I wont use 100% of the disk, I don't need to know every single gigabyte that's left.

For me how much space is used is more relevant. And sometimes there can be an abrupt increase and remembering the used space helps me be aware of it. Win7 was like that and was working perfectly. Also the fact that graphic is literally highlighting the used space, but reporting the free space.

3 minutes ago, lafrente said:

I already know how much is left from the graphic, roughly a bit over 60%. Since I wont use 100% of the disk, I don't need to know every single gigabyte that's left.

For me how much space is used is more relevant. And sometimes there can be an abrupt increase and remembering the used space helps me be aware of it. Win7 was like that and was working perfectly. Also the fact that graphic is literally highlighting the used space, but reporting the free space.

I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I don't need to know every single byte, and I don't ever plan to use 100% of a drive. I think the main difference is how we perceive the File Explorer 😄

Usually whenever I'm installing something, I find it much more useful to know how much space is free, that way I'm able to make a better decision about which drive I choose to install something on.

Rest in peace Windows 7.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

There are ways to show the space used, but not in Windows File Explorer. Just google the keywords "Windows File Explorer Alternatives" and you should get a lot of choices.