5v argb strip into pc's usb port

ommer15

hello hello

i just received my argb strip for my room's lighting (its a ws2812b, 5 meters long) and it arrived along with a power supply, a usb that connects to that power supply, and a controller. i connected everything together and plugged it into my wall and it works just as it should. though i was wondering if it would've been possible to plug it into one of my pc's usb ports (preferrably one on the back of the pc - a motherboard port)? the pc sits at a much more convinient spot in my room and the lighting would look neater if it came out of that point in my room

the power supply has a sticker on it saying to not plug it into a pc, power bank or tv, which is confusing (and a bit concerning..) since, by what's written on it, it outputs 12v@3a while im pretty sure a usb port only outputs 5v? would a usb port not be able to deliver enough power to light up my strip? or, would it fry it up? (somehow?? i study electrical engineering and this seems very unlikely lol)

attached images below of my strip and power supply

thank you in advance!

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

It's egregioius misuse of a connector that cheap crap tends to do but should never exist. Definitely don't plug any of this to a PC.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, oofki said:

You’d need a PD port: “USB PD supports seven voltage levels at 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 36V, and 48V”

yeah i dont think i have any power delivery port on my pc. good to know though

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's egregioius misuse of a connector that cheap crap tends to do but should never exist. Definitely don't plug any of this to a PC.

alright, thanks for helping

i guess ill just use the power supply that it came with 

21 minutes ago, oofki said:

You’d need a PD port: “USB PD supports seven voltage levels at 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 36V, and 48V”

This thing won't have any of the required circuitry to trigger a PD port.

12 minutes ago, ommer15 said:

i guess ill just use the power supply that it came with 

To clarify, in the end the box/strip just take 12V on that barrel connector, they just made an unholy contraption to supply it with that "USB" power supply and cable. IF you know what you're doing you could feed it 12V from a molex/sata cable from the PSU.

What you really want is put a giant warning sign on that supply so that if it ever ends up in a drawer for a while you don't just grab it and use it to try and charge a phone or other real USB device that could get destroyed. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

45 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

This thing won't have any of the required circuitry to trigger a PD port.

To clarify, in the end the box/strip just take 12V on that barrel connector, they just made an unholy contraption to supply it with that "USB" power supply and cable. IF you know what you're doing you could feed it 12V from a molex/sata cable from the PSU.

What you really want is put a giant warning sign on that supply so that if it ever ends up in a drawer for a while you don't just grab it and use it to try and charge a phone or other real USB device that could get destroyed. 

im really not going to plug it into my power supply because.. id rather not lol

also i just noticed that the end portion of the strip (the last 1-1.5 meters) isnt even lighting up when plugged into the wall using that wall plug. i know the leds arent damaged, theres still tiny red blue and green lights that are turned on whenever i plug it in, and if i press at the end of each led theyd light up a bit. im worried that there isnt enough voltage/current to be supplied to these leds and therefor theyre not turning on completely? or that this specific portion of the strip is just broken...

If brightness gradually decreases along the strip probably not enough power, if there's a sudden drop probably something broken...

F@H

GPD Win 2

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

If brightness gradually decreases along the strip probably not enough power, if there's a sudden drop probably something broken...

sudden drop. maybe theres actually something broken there, ill see about that

thanks anyway

yeah i found the real issue

theres a burnt resistor on the segment preceding the unlit segment. guess ill have to discuss a replacement with the seller