In what order do I need to reinstall windows

WestTexan
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

You don't need to reset CMOS or update BIOS for a case/cooler/storage change.

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Install NVMe
  2. Boot from existing boot drive. Download Macrium Reflect. Clone your current drive onto the NVMe.
  3. Turn off your PC, disconnect the current boot drive, turn it back on and boot from NVMe.
  4. Done.
  5. Optional extra step but a good idea: format the old boot drive and use it for programs or extra storage instead.

I am buying a new case, cpu cooler and getting a 2tb m.2 NVMe ssd

I have free time today so I will clean the computer later today but I have questions about reinstalling windows

I have a bootable usb drive. Today I will take apart the pc,clean it and only put it back together when I get the new case and nvme tomorrow or tuesday

When I shutdown the pc today.  Should I change the boot priority and put usb flash drive as #1 boot priority? Next time I turn this computer on I want to immediately wipe my 256GB SSD and HDD in the windows installer along with installing windows on my nvme

I also heard I should restore my bios settings to default to avoid issues. No I didnt do any overclocking. Just XMP for ram and enabling SAM

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Install NVMe
  2. Boot from existing boot drive. Download Macrium Reflect. Clone your current drive onto the NVMe.
  3. Turn off your PC, disconnect the current boot drive, turn it back on and boot from NVMe.
  4. Done.
  5. Optional extra step but a good idea: format the old boot drive and use it for programs or extra storage instead.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Install NVMe
  4. Done.

Ahh I see , you actually reminded me of something.

I should boot from the original SSD drive because its possible the nvme might be faulty if I'm unlucky.  When I make sure the PC is running fine then I should continue with the fresh install. Changing boot priority then going straight into windows installer.

I really want to start my pc from scratch again so I'll just format the drives in the windows installer. Thanks!