USB hubs.

tdkid

i am sure this has already been a topic but I am too ticked off right now to look so please forgive me. 

i bought the j5 create 7 port hub (linked below) and was hoping that it would be a good replacement for the 4 port hub I currently have but it turned out to be the worst POS I ever used. i originally didn't have the AC power plugged in as I was told I didn't need to as it was only going to be used for storage devices like USB flash drives. it kept on giving me the disconnected/connected sounds and notifications about every 10 minutes. so I figured all I needed was to plug it in and it would be good but the same thing happened. so why I am making this is that I would like suggestions from people one what a good USB hub would actually be as this was a waste of money.

JUH377 USB™ 3.0 7-Port HUB – j5create

12 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

we need more info about this to make sense of the situation ( IE whats it plugged into)

• windows will by default try and power down hubs that it thinks are not being utilized to save power
  • AMD AM4 has a known documented issue with USB connectivity when PCIE-Gen4 is enabled and the system is under any load, or you have high transient spikes/ripple on your mains
  • Depending on what you have plugged into it, if all the devices wake at once they can draw more current than the Host to Hub interface can provide.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-10-Port-USB-3-0-Hub/dp/B00GS1BVJ4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=24RVXHRUHOY4Q&keywords=amazon+basics+USB+3.0+hub&qid=1687657428&s=electronics&sprefix=amazon+basics+usb+3.0+hub%2Celectronics%2C103&sr=1-9

I have one of these and its never given me an issue since I ordered it in 2017 though it does require power if you want to plug more than 2 hard drives into it.

I also have a Targus 2.0 Hub Circa 2007 that I've been using without ever causing trouble https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615614-REG/Targus_PA055U_Ultra_Mini_4_Port_USB.html

I tend to stick to well known brands (targus, belkin, iomega etc) if I can for usb acessories

what info do you need? 

1 minute ago, micha_vulpes said:

what its plugged into and what is plugged into it.

It was also a documented and reproducible problem on AMD recently (https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards) that USB just randomly drops out. That Agesa update did not in fact fix the issue.

Your Power Settings of the device could also be allowing the system to power it down which causes the disconnect.

Basically this could be many things causing the issue. If its a power setting, or its a motherboard issue, then a new hub probably wont fix it. 

Capture.GIF

well its plugged into (or was into) my computer, duh. lol. ok joking aside. you said intel vs and if I am correct. its an windows running off of an i7 8700k on a Z370 motherboard. 1000w PSU, 32GB RAM. and 2070 super GPU. what is plugged into it is the same things I had plugged in to my old 4 port hub with no issues. a 128GB flash drive. my USB receiver for my mouse. corsair k100 keyboard and an external hard drive. 

i will look into what you posted here. thanks

2 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

your old hub may have had capacitors to stop inrush on devices or demand spikes. 

Windows by default spins down hard disks after 10 minutes of activity, by something trying to access it of course spins it up again where it consumes its max power.

From a power perspective, having a flash drive, an external hard drive, RGB keyboard and a mouse all on the same Unpowered hub is probably pushing it. Though you said it happens when using the power supply as well which could just mean its a dud, or the power supply it came with is a dud.

For a power reference though : a sata 3 laptop hard drive ( what would be in a USB hard drive) typically pulls .5-.8 Amps at 5v on its own

i highly doubt that as my old hub is just a cheap onn (walmart) USB 2.0 hub so cant really have anything stopping it other than maybe because its 2.0 that would automatically slow things down vs the 3.0 one I just got. but I have never had any kind of issue before and if it is a dead PSU that came with the hub, then I will be getting my money back. 

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

but I have never had any kind of issue before and if it is a dead PSU that came with the hub, then I will be getting my money back.

No, but I've seen more than a couple powered USB hubs supply power that was outside of the USB power spec. That will do very odd things. (such as what you describe in some instances) I've also seen people kill USB ports from using unpowered USB hubs, and plugging too many things in. It's just like plugging too many things into an outlet. You can try and draw too much power from it. (In theory this shouldn't happen, but things do happen)

Anker 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub - These are the hubs I've been using. I try and buy them on sale.

As mentioned above though, as long as you stick to a brand name, you should be ok. If not, I would at least check the voltage that its outputting to your USB devices before using it.

Klein Tools ET900 USB Power Meter - USB power meters for this are pretty cheap,  there are plenty of examples of these on Amazon.