Playstation 4 Controller only charges with computer

rkunati

So, I recently got a used PS4 to play God of War Ragnarök. The issue that I am having is that the USB cable is only charging when I plug into my Desktop's front USB port. If I use a USB brick that came with an iPhone or the front ports of my PS4 it does not charge. Or at least the system is telling me that it is not charging. Is this a cable issue or a controller issue?

16 minutes ago, rkunati said:

So, I recently got a used PS4 to play God of War Ragnarök. The issue that I am having is that the USB cable is only charging when I plug into my Desktop's front USB port. If I use a USB brick that came with an iPhone or the front ports of my PS4 it does not charge. Or at least the system is telling me that it is not charging. Is this a cable issue or a controller issue?

What kind of cable you got? (where you go it?)

Cheap USB-C cable are current/voltage limited to prevent a house fire, higher rated ones have special ic in them to tell power brick it can receive higher power.

1 hour ago, rkunati said:

Playstation controllers can be very finicky for charging, I've had the same experience where they only like to charge from devices with a data connection, and sometimes they still don't.  I used to leave my PS4 controller plugged into the PC and sometimes it would be drained when I unplugged it, the battery management is just odd.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

What kind of cable you got? (where you go it?)

Cheap USB-C cable are current/voltage limited to prevent a house fire, higher rated ones have special ic in them to tell power brick it can receive higher power.

I got the cable with the used PS4. It is just an ordinary micro-usb. I bought the PS4 at a thrift store, so whatever they had.

One quick thing to try if you have some canned air, would be to blow the front ports on your PS4 off. After some years, one of mine wouldn't charge my controller and it was because there was a big dust bunny in one of the ports.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 hours ago, rkunati said:

I got the cable with the used PS4. It is just an ordinary micro-usb. I bought the PS4 at a thrift store, so whatever they had.

If you have another cable laying around, try that.
Micro-USB have the same problem, some cables only allow 1A, while others allow full 2A of power to go through.

Usually DualShock 4 controllers will charge off just about anything. As a quick test, I plugged one of mine into various chargers and USB ports of different devices, and all but one worked.

I would first suggest trying another cable. If nothing changes, it could be the controller, but it's weird that it would charge on a PC but not on the PS4 itself. Does the system recognize the controller at all? Does it acknowledge the controller being plugged in at all?