first pc build HELP!

@Nabi just a quick question.

does Oman have high tariffs on imported items ? High taxes on foreign goods ?

All companies will happily ship items all over the world but any import fees are paid by the receiver which would be you.

just wanted to ask before you invest your budget only to get a nasty surprise that leaves you paying more money for extra budget you had not prepared for.

13 hours ago, johnno23 said:

All companies will happily ship items all over the world but any import fees are paid by the receiver which would be you.

just wanted to ask before you invest your budget only to get a nasty surprise that leaves you paying more money for extra budget you had not prepared for.

Wouldn’t the use of the Oman pcpartpicker picker avoid that?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:14 AM, Nabi said:

There are, but the parts are so much more expensive.

how likely is it for the stuff to come broken though?

New from Newegg? Basically zero.  Used is used though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:52 AM, GeorgeMKane said:

You'll definitely want a dedicated cpu cooler. Case should be fine for that, as it supports up to 160mm coolers.

https://om.pcpartpicker.com/list/NnJTd9

If you need to go a bit cheaper, just do a 5600 build.

https://om.pcpartpicker.com/list/jJHJv3

Depends on whether the build is.  Good chance though.  Things like lower end intel non-ks may not need it.

Edited by Bombastinator

16 hours ago, johnno23 said:

I mean it's usually 5%

also is 32GB ram really a lot better, or would the 16GB be fine?

4 hours ago, Nabi said:

I mean it's usually 5%

good that you were aware of needing to pay the extra 5% as that is often done before delivery as overseas goes thru customs

4 hours ago, Nabi said:

32GB and a 16GB in your parts list. drop the 16 and keep the 32.

32GB is better as you system Windows will use more memory to cache recently used items etc and therefore the overall performance and experience will feel much more responsive. Also for your games and apps it can help as the memory is large enough to soak up some overflow with info needing to be written or accessed from storage. 16GB will work ok but the benefits of 32GB in my humble opinion out weigh the costs

I think the parts you have chosen are fine for your build considering your own budget limits.

6 hours ago, Nabi said:

16 gb is fine.  The whole 32gb thing is more futureproofing or in case someone does a mod that eats immense amounts of memory.  It also increases resalability, because with 32gb you can edit larger video stuff.  Windows does use extra memory for caching, but the speed bump isn’t immense.  It used to be that adding more memory was always the most cost effective way to make a machine go faster.  Not-so-much these days though.  Drives are faster than they used to be.  

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, johnno23 said:

good that you were aware of needing to pay the extra 5% as that is often done before delivery as overseas goes thru customs

32GB and a 16GB in your parts list. drop the 16 and keep the 32.

32GB is better as you system Windows will use more memory to cache recently used items etc and therefore the overall performance and experience will feel much more responsive. Also for your games and apps it can help as the memory is large enough to soak up some overflow with info needing to be written or accessed from storage. 16GB will work ok but the benefits of 32GB in my humble opinion out weigh the costs

I think the parts you have chosen are fine for your build considering your own budget limits.

Is there anything I should change? From the part list

8 minutes ago, Nabi said:

only if you see an alternative that is equal at a better price or something radically better for a small price increase.

PC builds are subjective and I try to refrain from offering links to items i  have not personally used or have experience about.

looking quickly at reviews about your system choices they are all good for their level. you are not building a high end to rule them all. you are specifically aiming for a budget build that allows you to do what you want to adequately. I think your choices are solid in that respect. Your constraints are financial not technical.

All things considered I think you have managed quite well and will be happy with the final result. 2 or 3 years from now your views and experiences will change but you need to start somewhere and your start as I stated seems solid enough to me if I offer an unbiased opinion.

21 minutes ago, Nabi said:

What you’ve got there is a 1080p high refresh /1440p system.  Not a ton of storage, but very doable.  You can put more in later if you want.  It’s decent enough that I support the 32gb if possible.  It’s entirely possible that more than 16gb will eventually be needed, and that system could have much more powerful stuff put in it eventually.  One that worries me but may not matter. 12400f chips ARE NOT AS GOOD AS regular 12400 CPUs.  The reason they are sometimes preferred is they are supposed to be cheaper.  This is sometimes not the case though.  They can even be more expensive.  All a 1400f is is a 12400 that has either a broken iGPU or one that is simply shut off.  They’re not faster in any way.  There is low supply and high demand for the F chips though, and thus their price is often higher than it should be.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What you’ve got there is a 1080p high refresh /1440p system.  Not a ton of storage, but very doable.  You can put more in later if you want.  It’s decent enough that I support the 32gb if possible.  It’s entirely possible that more than 16gb will eventually be needed, and that system could have much more powerful stuff put in it eventually.  One that worries me but may not matter. 12400f chips ARE NOT AS GOOD AS regular 12400 CPUs.  The reason they are sometimes preferred is they are supposed to be cheaper.  This is sometimes not the case though.  They can even be more expensive.  All a 1400f is is a 12400 that has either a broken iGPU or one that is simply shut off.  They’re not faster in any way.  There is low supply and high demand for the F chips though, and thus their price is often higher than it should be.

they're like almost the same. there's not that much of a difference when it comes to fps.

7 hours ago, johnno23 said:

only if you see an alternative that is equal at a better price or something radically better for a small price increase.

PC builds are subjective and I try to refrain from offering links to items i  have not personally used or have experience about.

looking quickly at reviews about your system choices they are all good for their level. you are not building a high end to rule them all. you are specifically aiming for a budget build that allows you to do what you want to adequately. I think your choices are solid in that respect. Your constraints are financial not technical.

All things considered I think you have managed quite well and will be happy with the final result. 2 or 3 years from now your views and experiences will change but you need to start somewhere and your start as I stated seems solid enough to me if I offer an unbiased opinion.

I think as long as it works I'm happy.

I mean I hope it works, PRAY FOR ME!!

Also, should I get a used 3070, or a new 6700xt?

I would suggest a new card as you then have a full warranty.

both of the gpus you list have strengths and weaknesses and over all seem to be better than each other at different things.

I suppose I would call them equal in many respects. there is not a better choice between the two simply different as both are ok.

5 hours ago, Nabi said:

they're like almost the same. there's not that much of a difference when it comes to fps.

1080p and 1440p?!  Possible I guess.  Implies you are cpu bottlenecked.  There’s two sections to games.  The running-the-game bit, and the screen draws.  Screen draws vary by pixel count and 1440p has twice as many pixels as 1080p.  The other bit is more or less size independent though, so if your cpu can only put out, say 80fps, that’s all you’re going to get regardless of size.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

1080p and 1440p?!  Possible I guess.  Implies you are cpu bottlenecked.  There’s two sections to games.  The running-the-game bit, and the screen draws.  Screen draws vary by pixel count and 1440p has twice as many pixels as 1080p.  The other bit is more or less size independent though, so if your cpu can only put out, say 80fps, that’s all you’re going to get regardless of size.

I meant the 12400 and the 12400f

3 hours ago, johnno23 said:

I would suggest a new card as you then have a full warranty.

both of the gpus you list have strengths and weaknesses and over all seem to be better than each other at different things.

I suppose I would call them equal in many respects. there is not a better choice between the two simply different as both are ok.

so the 6700xt then?

I am using a 3080 myself but if i had to choose between a 3070 second hand and the 6700xt brand new with a full warranty for the same price the I would take the 6700xt

4 hours ago, Nabi said:

I meant the 12400 and the 12400f

Whichever is cheaper.  Within reason.  The non-f chips do provide some value.  They can do some hardware codec stuff that can speed things up in certain very specific situations and if you ever have a GPU issue, we’ll hey!  It just so happens you have a spare already installed.  I personally consider that to be worth about twenty bucks.  Effectively a handy motherboard feature. Others may have a different opinion.

is the galax revolution 05 a good case?