My Ryzen 5 3600 processors 1 pin broken in the middle area is it possible to fix it

Just now, Sajib Dewan said:

IMG_20230618_193156.jpg

My Ryzen 5 3600 processor's 1 pin broken in the middle area. Is it possible to fix it 

Try it as-is and see if it boots, you may have gotten lucky if it isn't strictly required.

If you're asking this question, then it certainly isn't possible for you to repair it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Try it as-is and see if it boots, you may have gotten lucky if it isn't strictly required.

^^^

If you just hit some redundant vcc/vss, reserved pin youll be completely fine and the cpu should work

If the cpu is dead and that pin happens to be important then fixing it is just a matter of desoldering a pin off some donor am3 cpu and resoldering it onto your cpu. Basically youll just need a heatgun, some flux, solder paste, and some tweezers

Also a lot of those pins are dedicated to Ram and you're probably only using two of the 4 slots. So a lot of unused pins.

In case it's not working you could try the 2 other Ram slots out or, in any case just one slot...

Repairing that cpu (heatgun, some flux, solder paste, and some tweezers) seems an impossible task for 99% of the users, to me.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If the CPU is dead and that pin happens to be important then fixing it is just a matter of desoldering a pin off some donor am3 CPU and resoldering it onto your CPU. Basically you'll just need a heat gun, some flux, solder paste, and some tweezers

Question becomes whether OP has the confidence or hot air solder in the first place. I wouldnt trust heat gun for this, its area of heating is way too wide compared to proper hot air solder.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Question becomes whether OP has the confidence or hot air solder in the first place. I wouldnt trust heat gun for this, its area of heating is way too wide compared to proper hot air solder.

I mean op can just use low temp solder paste so only needs to heat to 138c to melt the solder

Dont really see whats the issue here since there arent any smds anyways

51 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I mean op can just use low temp solder paste so only needs to heat to 138c to melt the solder

Dont really see whats the issue here since there arent any smds anyways

Most people can't solder is the issue.

Watch the Jayz2cents fail video, and he gave it a better attempt than an average user would.

Soldering is a very niche skill that most people do not have. On a CPU, it also requires components the average person does not own. Even if someone has the skills to do it, they need a donor CPU for the pins, they need to pocess the (rather expensive) soldering equipment, and spend probably an hour or so of their time. 

All that for an $80 CPU? Junk pile.

10 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

Soldering is a very niche skill that most people do not have. On a CPU, it also requires components the average person does not own. Even if someone has the skills to do it, they need a donor CPU for the pins, they need to pocess the (rather expensive) soldering equipment, and spend probably an hour or so of their time. 

You know a cheap am3 donor would work fine

And you dont really need the utmost in solder equipment too, just some 5-10$ heatgun, some flux, low temp solder paste, and obviously the donor am3 cpu which are dirt cheap, problably like 30$ tops but id exect around 20$, most expensive thing would be time taken to actually do the process of fixing the pin aka labor